Picking up the new Grandby

We just got back from our first trip to the Mule Mountain and Corn Springs area. The front dinette layout is perfect for us, me, wife, & 4 year old son. It's such a logical layout, galley in back, dinette/twin bed middle, & queen bed up front. The solar panel & dual batteries kept the 2-way fridge and everything else running just fine. Here are some picks of the interior. FWC did a great job. We're very happy with the Grandby.

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the silver Spur exterior, the interior on the other hand is spectacular. It looks so modern, really nice.

Thanks Rotti, very nice rig. A couple of more questions if you don't mind. What type of average MPG are you getting ? What size tank do you have ? .... and is it as much fun as it looks?
Thanks

Don't have a real good feel for mpg yet as I only have 3,000 miles on it. But loaded heavy, on recent hunting trip over the 10,000' passes here in Colorado, I had a low of 9 or 10 in 4WD low range and about 14 to 15 on the highway. Others could do better I'm sure....I tend to have a heavy foot.

On the 2011 and above HD GM twins the fuel capacity is now 36 gallons. That includes both 6.5 and 8' beds.

Yes it has been a lot of fun....for a long time. My first FWC was 1983 Grandby on a new 83 Chevy K20. Just recently upgraded.

Nice! congrats. I hope your putting in the time because you only go around once and your rig is to sweet to stay home in the driveway.
I'm interested in a very similliar setup, would you be so kind as to let me know the total height of your camper on the truck (to the top of the yakima rack).

Dan, it's right around 8 1/2 feet with the racks. We'll be going on our 5th trip next weekend. Had it in the desert, the Sierras in he snow at Shaver Lake, and two trips to the coast, one South of Big Sur and last weekend to Dillon's Beach on Tomales Bay. Next weekend to the Russian River. I'm going to zip line in the redwoods.

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the silver Spur exterior, the interior on the other hand is spectacular. It looks so modern, really nice.

Thought we'd get the white smooth side, but the wife surprised me with the Silver Spur exterior. There was never a doubt about the interior. She hated the interiors of every camper or trailer we considered.

Thanks Rotti, very nice rig. A couple of more questions if you don't mind. What type of average MPG are you getting ? What size tank do you have ? .... and is it as much fun as it looks?
Thanks

I'm pretty consistent between 14 & 16 MPG approaching 4,000 miles. It's been slowly improving.

John thanks , I was not sure about the height of the rack. I know the camper is just under 60” and the bed of the HD’s is around 36”. I have a barn and under the loft area I have a 9’ ceiling, so I should have no problem.
I’m sure the elevation comes into play when it comes to MPG but that’s the range I would expect to get. Presently I have no pickup or camper, so I’m satifying the explorer in me by living vicariously through you guys on this forum. I recently sold a 02 2500 ext cab and a Lance 950 camper. I have a Fuso FG140 that I use for work (it has a dump body), I see some guys put campers on the Fuso’s and make some cool expedition vehicles. But I have my heart set on a Grandby and a Silverado.
John I once had an 80 K 20 for 20 years and close to 300K on the clock, I ‘ve had Fords and Dodges before and after that one, but that Chevy really cemented my love for them.
Now my big question is gas or diesel. I’ve had both and I know all the pros and cons, what it really comes down to for me is the range. The Chevy I’m looking at is gas and has the 36 gal capacity, I thought if I an get 12 MPG on dirt roads with occassional 4 WD then I think it will cut it for my needs.
Rotti when your motor breaks in you should be able to get another couple of MPG out of your set up, this should happen between 30k and 50k miles. That’s about the best range out there with a full size pickup. But there is the additional cost of your drive train to consider and in my part of the country I often have a hard time finding diesel on back roads. So I’m leaning towards gas if I can get the range. Plus the fact that the gas setup saves me about ½ the price of the Grandby. Which is Nice.
Thanks ,Guys

Rotti when your motor breaks in you should be able to get another couple of MPG out of your set up, this should happen between 30k and 50k miles. That’s about the best range out there with a full size pickup. But there is the additional cost of your drive train to consider and in my part of the country I often have a hard time finding diesel on back roads. So I’m leaning towards gas if I can get the range. Plus the fact that the gas setup saves me about ½ the price of the Grandby.

Dan, I do have the gas engine on mine.
No regrets.

Sorry I got my posters and rigs mixed up. Anyway I'm also leaning towards gas. They have stopped taking orders for 2013 and are revising a bunch of things for the 2014 model. I heard they are putting the Vortex motor to bed or drastically changing it. I love that motor, not the most fuel efficient but on all other counts it doesn't get much better. I really don't want to be part of the guinea pig year for a new motor so if I get the gas it will probably be a 13 out of some dealers inventory.
By the way both of you guys have some killer rigs, enjoy and keep us wanna bees posted.
Thanks

Presently I have no pickup or camper, so I’m satifying the explorer in me by living vicariously through you guys on this forum.

Boy can I appreciate that statement...

I have both pickup and camper and still half live vicariously through people on the forum. Problem is I'm not sure if I'm maximizing my work, & family commitment time or living a pseudo escapist fantasy. Guess I'll take my set up to one of the local haunts and contemplate it while roasting a hotdog.

I think I just did what people call a "hijack". Sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom