Plan to sell off public land

I can’t say I know what the big picture is but I’m not liking the small picture I see.

The existing Bears Ears Monument had a lot of sections whittled out of the original footprint. These were areas the local folks use for cutting firewood, areas the local tribes have traditionally used, areas that can be mined and more. The existing monument still allows grazing and other traditional uses as well, so no one's lifestyle is compromised, except for illegal pothunters'.

The Utah legislators' reaction appears to me to be a typical knee-jerk to perceived federal overreach, although the facts show the locals were involved in the designation. I also have a sneaking suspicion they don't much like the fact that the local tribes have a say in how the NM is to be administered.

At this point I am willing to "go positive" anywhere I can. I just read this article from the Washington Post. Our new Secretary of the Interior's first day on the job. Road in on a horse. I can not say I know this man but what I have read so far seems to offer a glimmer of hope. He is adamantly opposed to selling off Federal lands. Here is a link to the article. If there is anyone who knows him better and can guide me to where I could glean more info to know what to expect from him send it along.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/03/02/the-new-interior-secretary-just-rode-into-work-on-a-horse/?utm_term=.68c67fdf7140

Borderline politics I know, but...as they say, "Follow The Money" if you want to know if a politician is voting for bills his constituents approve of or voting for bills his campaign donors approve of.

There has to be a balance if we are going to even have places as beautiful as our National Parks, National Forests, let alone the land available under the BLM we have today.

Eliminating agencies or just de-funding them are tactical attacks on the lands under their jurisdiction. I too support the idea that if the politicians we elect find that no matter how much money his donors give him/her that the VOTERS will not support him is the best way to send a message to Congress.

There is an election in 2018....this will be an opportunity for some who see their elected representatives on board with programs to cash in on these lands as we know them today and sell them for pennies on the dollar to elect someone who will actually stand by their promises not to do that. Between now and then, when politicians who are up for re-election in 2018 say or do things to destroy the national lands we care about, please let them know how many votes in your family they can count on to go for ANYBODY else running if they go along with this.

Remember....you're only recourse is to vote them out of office.....so let them know not only how you feel about this kind of legislation but tell them straight up they will not be reelected if they go along with it.

Sorry for the rant, I will get off the soap box now and I hope I have not strayed too far into forbidden territory!

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) changed their web site..... and I think it is obvious what they are trying to tell us.

Attachments

• Family.jpg
    Family.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Coal.jpg
    Coal.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 30
Well at last the local state office here in California shows a few flowers on their home page :) ! But me thinks we are in for some interesting times because this new bunch believe in their slogans, talk shows and what they read in the National Inquirer & not in things like facts and the law! I'm sure glad I'm retired from the BLM today and I sure don't envy them their jobs of trying to properly manage and protect all that beautiful Public Land out there--- in spite of the hand we the public have just dealt them.

Smoke

Smokecreek1 ... thanks for your time protecting our finest legacy... our land. Hopefully the BLM will keep the mission of seeing the land
for its own value bigger than the money value to take.

buckland said:
Smokecreek1 ... thanks for your time protecting our finest legacy... our land. Hopefully the BLM will keep the mission of seeing the land
for its own value bigger than the money value to take.
I think one sad part about the "money" is that they almost give the resources away.
Am I correct in that statement?

We the public just have to make our voices heard. And try to hold the powers to be feet to the fire.
Frank

Ya ...not thinking too pessimistically but it would not surprise me that the money made finds its way back to the ones who opened the "till". Human beings have not become morally enlightened on the same curve as we have become "civilized".

buckland said:
Ya ...not thinking too pessimistically but it would not surprise me that the money made finds its way back to the ones who opened the "till". Human beings have not become morally enlightened on the same curve as we have become "civilized".
So true Rob.
How's the mud?
Frank

Well the mud is fairly under control... can see grass in the field in patches...snow in shade is still 8". All in all I am climbing out of the winter hole. Insanely (new England) the temps will go from 29 last night to 74 on Monday... then back to 50 and 60 hopefully. Have been working on fridge install...still not sure of FWC color code, will call them again on Monday....making the cabinet this week hopefully. and staining the floor boards for the cabin build...then starting the cord wood splitting and stacking pile for the next winter... some folks say it keeps you young (they are young) .. it does not.... though I like it still.

buckland said:
Well the mud is fairly under control... can see grass in the field in patches...snow in shade is still 8". All in all I am climbing out of the winter hole. Insanely (new England) the temps will go from 29 last night to 74 on Monday... then back to 50 and 60 hopefully. Have been working on fridge install...still not sure of FWC color code, will call them again on Monday....making the cabinet this week hopefully. and staining the floor boards for the cabin build...then starting the cord wood splitting and stacking pile for the next winter... some folks say it keeps you young (they are young) .. it does not.... though I like it still.
Rob I always thought it would be great if you could store up the heat your body generates while splitting wood,and save it for winter.
Alyss that doesn't work that way.
I enjoyed splitting wood but now I order Almond from the Central valley cut and split to fit my Vermont Castings 16" stove.
Don't even burn much any more.Just on the super rainy days when it's cold.

Frank

Hopefully shutting down the stove that has been running nonstop for almost 6 months... a Woodstock Soapstone... very heavy heat sink... a gentle long lasting heat. very efficient with a combuster.

Attachments

• Soupstone stove.jpg
    Soupstone stove.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 20
buckland said:
Hopefully shutting down the stove that has been running nonstop for almost 6 months... a Woodstock Soapstone... very heavy heat sink... a gentle long lasting heat. very efficient with a combuster.
Rob I am sure we are way off topic here but nice stove.
Frank

I know, sometimes it is hard to keep fighting. We made it through James Watt and the RayGun revolution with the land and country still more or less intact-although it was hard sometimes. Every new administration comes roaring in like gang busters and soon find out that doing is not the same saying. The government is designed to slow things down. You have to have a plan in the system to do anything and the land management agencies especially, have lot's of rules, regs and lot's of hoops to jump through to do anything that disturbs the land. The secret of public land management is the planning system. That's one of the reasons for this thread, we the people still have a say in what happens out there and despite the best efforts of the Kock brothers, certain Bundy type ranchers, some local pols and the Sage Brush Rebellion types,that even they and this congress can not void all the laws (we hope) and take away our use of the public land. Even in Utah, we hope.

From what i hear, this resistance movement going on out there is in many places not just for social things and politics but in some places includes public land users of all types and those that provide the food, support and things that go with using the land, whether for ranching, recreating and yes, oil and gas, and trees too. It is public land and is supposed to multi-use and we need to make our voices heard in every public land planning meeting to make sure it remains open to us. If all else fails is there room around your stove?

Smoke

You bet...that's what a fire is for...besides heat, a gathering place! I'm pretty much semi off grid here! I will continue to do what I can and I will try to remain positive that it will be hard to dismantle what has been built. My fear, being from the east...once it is changed to a new use land is hard to put back for a long time. We've run pretty low in available places to find quiet and darkness to see the stars.
It is not selfish to want to lock land in place....I see it as saving it for the next generation of people who will be able to touch something real and natural....
here is a slightly inappropriate statement from a bunch of earth scientists and how they feel about our [planet:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/asan-trump-protest-from-space_us_58f02867e4b0b9e9848ade36

And here an outlook of what my BLM will face

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/us/public-lands-bundy-malheur-national-wildlife-refuge.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Back
Top Bottom