Planning a Trip

stevewtw

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, not really sure on the etiquette around here, so hope I'm in the right forum.
I have two weeks off work coming up in October and am trying to figure out where I want to go.

I just got my new (new to me anyway) 2000 Landcruiser and I'm itching to just head off somewhere in it like my family used to do when I was a kid in Australia. I live in DFW, and would like to hear you guys suggestions for an interesting place to head.

I have a general idea of maybe some of the remote parts of East New Mexico, and a swing down thru Big Bend. I'll be on my own, so I can pretty much set my own agenda and pace. Really looking forward to it.

All suggestions/tips welcome!

Steve, This is as good as any place to discuss planning a trip in the west. From the type of vehicle you have, I gather you plan to "car camp". Folks here would be in tune with that style. You will want a tent because your Landcruiser is often restricted to a parking lot. Sleeping in a car can often get you into trouble if you are parking in the wrong place unless you know how to "stealth camp". There is no rhyme or reason for this, it just happens. Sleeping in a car usually exposes the camper to mosquitoes.

You can use motel and hotel accommodations, even with a budget that allows it, but the hotels and motels are often remote to places you may want to visit. Thus, the first thing people will be suggesting is to get set up to camp 100 percent of the time and plan it that way. Are you able to do that? Do you have the experience and know how to comfortably camp with a tent in a rain storm?

Many people who posts here use light weight campers, but most started out tent camping. Even though we have a truck camper, my wife and I still choose to tent camp occasionally and we are in our 60s. We like tent camping and a car is often convenient, faster, and cheaper for a destination say 400 miles away, when we know the campsite well. If you are heading to attend a function such as a big rally or a concert, you can put up your tent in a campground and drive your car to the event. This would be pretty difficult if you have your camping vehicle tied to the ground somewhere.

Steve, write us a description of your gear and camping style. _John D

It would probably be worth your while to go as far as Southern Utah - this is the best backcountry in the US. I'd recommend Capitol Reef National Park, Zion, and Grand Staircase (Burr Trail Road). These areas have some great drives with low risk for a solo driver/vehicle. Heres my trip report for my spring Utah trip:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3257/

@John
My solo camping experience is limited. I had the idea of sleeping in the back of the truck in a campground, and getting a good lunch at a restaurant each day. As you can tell my plans aren't exactly concrete yet...

I have a good Marmot sleeping bag from some camping I did once before. Sounds like I may need to invest in a good tent. I do worry a bit about getting washed away in a flash flood though!

I'd rather avoid motels (for at least part of the time) and get myself set up to do this correctly. Probably in campgrounds at first, I'm not sure I have the experience needed to safely boondock yet. Maybe the next trip.

I'm willing to spend some money to get myself the proper equipment to do this safely. I hope to do it quite often. Any input on essential gear is welcome!

@DirtyDog
The pictures on that thread look great. I'll take a closer look at it in the morning.

There are a lot of great backcountry campgrounds that are way off the beaten path that wouldn't be considered "boondocking". Cathedral Valley campground in Capitol Reef and Deer Creek in Grand Staircase NM are a couple of good examples (and highly recommended). If you head to high country (as in southern Utah) in October, you should plan on cold weather. A good sleeping bag is a must and a tent would be a good idea. Even if you stay south - Big Bend, NM as you stated, a tent is still a good idea as you probably wouldn't want unwanted creepy crawlies joining you in your sleeping bag :)

Photo by MarkBC:
rattler1.jpg

Hi Steve, welcome to WtW. Besides auto-touring what do you like doing? Photography? Hiking? 4x4ing? Birding? Primative camping? Camp cooking? The answers to these questions might help you choose your destinations and your equipment.

Eastern NM wouldn't be on my list, arid plains, oil wells,harsh weather, and cattle (lot like Australia except for the oil :LOL: )
821462696_iX4Sj-M.jpg

doesn't make for good camping
Big Bend is rough, remote, and great but I'd be careful about the heat, can still be warm in October. The Basin area of BB is higher and cooler and could be nice then. Hike the Chiso's Mtns, Lost Mine Trail, and the Window trail. Nice views
242620970_btimw-M.jpg

Early October could still get you some beautiful Aspens in the high country, even areas like Cloudcroft NM which is probably closest to you, along with the Guadalupes. I guess they might be considered Eastern NM but not really :D Depends on how much driving you want to do. I have done a couple nice loops through N. Arizona (Grand Canyon - North Rim) up through four corners and into the San Juan Mtns and as others have mentioned South Utah, Capital Reef, Hanksville area, Canyonlands, Moab. Hard to go wrong anywhere around four corners, canyons or high country. October will likely mean some snow at the higher elevations.
203145243_BmHfi-M.jpg

Lots of good options.

Steve, I agree with DirtyDog about Southern Utah being the place you should focus this trip on. If you have not seen Grand Canyon, that should be on the list. It would be a good plan to see it from the north side because this would fit in with exploring Southern Utah. Camp in Moab for a couple of nights in a commercial campground for the party scene. Mesa Verdi in the southwestern corner of Colorado is close by and should be on your agenda either going or coming.

It is about 850 miles DFW to Durango, a long days drive. But I would suggest driving straight through because you have a car that can be driven fast. Once in the general area of Four Corners, you can travel through the area DirtyDog and I recommend ad hoc. Really, you can't go wrong with this area. October should be ideal and there is a lot more than 2 weeks worth of things to see.

You do need a tent. There is no need to spend a lot of money on a tent. I would go to garage sales, or estate sales and pick one up for 5 or 10 bucks. The secret to tent camping is using a fly. Beg borrow or steal some Visqueen plastic sheeting. Cut a piece exactly the size of your tent floor with a "porch" on it for stepping out of the tent. Stake your tent on top of this plastic "floor". Cut another piece that will entirely cover your tent with an excess of a couple of feet beyond the bottom of the tent. If the weather is cold or rainy, throw this big sheet of plastic over your tent and weigh it down with big rocks around the edges, so the wind can't blow it off. If necessary, put a tarp over the tent before covering the whole thing with the plastic sheeting. You can camp in rain and snow using a setup like this.

Learn how to fold your plastic sheeting and tarp and keep them for many years. There is a trick to this. Someone will have to show you. There are little plastic clips made to snap into the Visqueen so lines can be tied to it. You might want a half dozen of them with some parachute cord to tie the plastic where you want it.

The plastic sheeting can also be used to roll up in as a quick expedient. Put your sleeping bag on a sheet of plastic, get inside, and roll up like a taco. It is quick and it works.

Try not to spend money on your camping set up. I have left out details and the key to enjoying camping is the details. It is more about knowledge that spending money. _John D

Thanks for all the responses guys!

@Dirty Dog -
I definitely don't want to share by bag with a snake, you've convinced me of the need for a tent!

@Stew -
I have a decent digital SLR (though only one decent lens unfortunately - budget issues) that I have been itching for the opportunity to use. I'd like to try some mild 4x4ing, I bought my truck with that in mind. That said it is bone stock, so I wouldn't want to do anything too extreme and find myself stuck axle deep in mud in the middle of nowhere:)
I'm not particularly 'interested' in primitive camping, but I am interested in experiencing it. I'd like to find out if I enjoy it enough to do a lot of it in retirement. For this trip I think I want to stick mostly to 'recognized' campgrounds.
I have a 3 burner Coleman stove and a cooler that I figure I can throw in the back of the Cruiser.

@Barko1 -
We drove across the Nullarbor when I was kid. I remember us stopping to taunt a wombat, but other than that the drive was pretty dull:) What the heck kind of critter is that Barko? It looks like a Brazilian Capybara.

@John -
I have seen some of the Grand Canyon. That said, I loved it enough I'm eager to go back! The Utah area is starting to sound appealing. Google seems to indicate the weathers fairly moderate still at that time of year.

Take your tent and practice setting it up at home. Most of the dome tents now days are really easy to use but best to see how it goes first before you wind up doing it at night, under windy conditions etc. As for getting washed away thats pretty easy. Don't camp in gullies or anywhere that looks like water runs through it. Established campgrounds will be pretty safe that way though if its a torrential rain you may still want to keep an eye open.

Theres some great areas for beginners to offroad around Moab. Give the Red Rock 4Wheelers a shout if you want to go with a group.

And keep in mind not everything will go according to plan. Its all part of the adventure. Have Fun.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

@Barko1 -
We drove across the Nullarbor when I was kid. I remember us stopping to taunt a wombat, but other than that the drive was pretty dull:) What the heck kind of critter is that Barko? It looks like a Brazilian Capybara.

The Nullie isn't too exciting but certainly different than the roads around here, and gas got up to $7 a gallon. Those are Javelinas, common in Big Bend and there are plenty in NM as well. The North Rim of GC closes mid October, much more relaxed than the South side and on the way to Zion/Bryce. October is the best month of the year there.

Back
Top Bottom