POD: Homebuilt foam core fiberglass skin pop-up camper build thread

One heck of a party:

:p

Bottom is ready to fair out and paint. A bit if work left of the door pieces and flipping walls to have them ready to fair.

Inspirational work. My dad designed and built a 30' St. Pierre Dory boat and it took him over 4-6 years. After it was finished, he had it for about 2 years and then sold it and got a different boat. He never regretted it. The challenge of designing and building it was what he was really after, not so much the boat. Don't think all is lost if you have some unrealized design flaws here and there.

I found this thread just searching for information about using foam insulation as the core in foam core fiberglass construction, since it so cheap and mold resistant. What are some resources you have used to gather information about how to do this? I'm really curious about how to prevent delamination, which foam insulation has the best compression strength, and how thin you can go with the fiberglass and still have a sturdy structure since lightweight is the biggest advantage to foam core construction. (Sorry, I haven't spent time to read the whole thread yet, if you have already covered this.) I'm curious why campers aren't made like this always. Strength, insulation, cheap, can make complex curves, and light weight. The one disadvantage I can see is that it can dent.

Anyways, love the thread and the work. I have a toddler right now and we are planning a second. I honestly don't know how you do it. You and your wife are champs.

My first look at this thread. Amazing! No way in heck I would have the patience of pods8 to take on a project of this magnitude. Looking forward to some more progress reports!

ski3pin said:
Yes! Looks like pods8 was last around here the end of April 2015.
Life/summer/concerns over delamination/other projects... happens. Spent later summer focused on getting a new rifle tuned up and ready to rock for fall hunting, then fall hunting (got a 5x4 bull!), working on cleaning gear up from that now and noticing this bulky thing is STILL in my garage! :p If I recall right I had a tiny bit more door work to do and then just fair out the bottom and paint it. The good news is the top shell sat out all summer in the sun and seems like it did fine. We'll see what progress these next months delivers (I hope it means a usable shell at minimum...).

pods8 said:
A 120lb box of goodies arrived this weekend, and also tweaked my back carrying it so I had to wait till later in the weekend to install. Went with a titan 12k winch. Its an import but of the reviews I've found out there they have been positive so I opted for it.
img_130127_4_8d38efbe4e2ab20130a0083c0d68d048.jpg

Mounted and access to control box I made a bracket for an attacked to by lower radiator support.
img_130127_6_9dc85602a681bd55ed4ef016bbb5465c.jpg

Winch respooled under tension and good to go:
img_130127_8_49300202bbf146f5bb562fd3a9e4ba48.jpg
Happy to report after 3yrs of hanging out on the front my truck my winch fired up just fine a few weeks ago. Was running along a dirt mountain pass road and a car was freshly off the road, stopped to check for a driver but no one was in it, 1/2mi farther down the road a girl was walking and asked for a lift to town. I told her it'd likely be easier for all if we just pulled her car back up onto the road. ;) Car was off the edge of a ~30deg slope sitting on the back of the frame rails (front tires in air) up against a tree (w/o that tree her car would have been much farther down the slope!). It was perpedicular to the road so we put a pulley onto a tree directly across from her car and ran the winch cable diagonally from my truck to that. Initially upon winching my truck was getting pulled across the snow/dirt road (trans in nuetral brakes applied) so had to stop and loop a strap around a tree behind me to my rear reciever. Once anchored I just kept it rev'd up around 4k and a thumb on the pull button and up the hill her crossover came. Had some bumper/headlight damage but no fluids leaking nor damage near the radiator and the slow/straight pull back up the hill prevented further wear/tear on it and she was able to drive off. Truck dinged "check gauges" a few times due to the amp draw but it kept pulling and I kept it rev'd up. I have an AGM battery in there so it will tolearte a deep draw like this and for short stints the single battery seems to do just fine.

billharr said:
Welcome back pods8, looking forward to your progress.
Me too! Yours is one of my favorite build threads ever. Good job on getting the crossover back on the road!

Pods8, você já terminou seu projeto ? Pode colocar mais fotos? / Pods8, have you finished your project? Can you put more photos?

From my memory, pods8 did not finish the project and had it for sale in the gear exchange sub forum about a year ago. I did a quick look to try and find the listing but I did not.

ski3pin said:
From my memory, pods8 did not finish the project and had it for sale in the gear exchange sub forum about a year ago. I did a quick look to try and find the listing but I did not.
I just gave it away, the blend of materials didn't work out, the shell didn't want to stay stuck to the core when CO sun hit it. After accepting the emotional blow of massive wasted time/effort/funds on materials I'm finally back at it but with aluminum frame this time.

It was fun following along while it lasted. There's been a few cool composite panel projects I've seen since your experiment.

Still super curious what the solution is to keep the glass laminated to the foam. I’ve seen foam designed for bonding with fiberglass but it didn’t have the R value or the low price of the stuff you can get lowes or Home Depot. I’ve wondered if perforating the foam before laying the fiberglass and risen would be enough to solve delaminating. Just know delaminating is the challenge with foam and fiberglass construction.

Dreamer said:
Still super curious what the solution is to keep the glass laminated to the foam. I’ve seen foam designed for bonding with fiberglass but it didn’t have the R value or the low price of the stuff you can get lowes or Home Depot. I’ve wondered if perforating the foam before laying the fiberglass and risen would be enough to solve delaminating. Just know delaminating is the challenge with foam and fiberglass construction.
The foam was heavily roughed, XPS just wasn’t a good solution (or the resin I used go softer at a lower temp maybe?).

takesiteasy said:
It was fun following along while it lasted. There's been a few cool composite panel projects I've seen since your experiment.
Lol learning experience... I am buzzing away in the garage with the welder, hope to have something to show for that soon.

Back
Top Bottom