Pop up camper from the sub continent

imix

Advanced Member
Maybe off topic, maybe not...pop up camper from India. Reminded me of the XP camper initially.

http://www.overlanders.co.in/

Seems kinda...tall. Like the side tent though. Mounted on a Tata pickup.

Moving this to the camper forum. Sure wish more US companies were making these kinds of bed replacement campers.

I would gladly sacrifice my truck bed if there were a cabin replacement like this offered anywhere in the CONUS. The old Chinook RV bodies would be a welcomed platform by me....

After recently experiencing the generous interior space in a Provan Tiger RV, where tanks, heaters, etc. are able to be stored lower due to the cabin design, I'm seeing what could be possible and I'm liking it!

Hey KC

Yes, I can just see you wandering the west in a 2 wheel drive Chevy Astrovan.

LOL

:)

I think your Toyota will give you much more flexibility on where you can go.

Just put an aluminum flat bed on your truck, and then we can build you a cool camper !

Attachments

• AstroVan Tiger with pop-up.jpg
    AstroVan Tiger with pop-up.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 494
  • P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 292
  • P1010026.JPG
    P1010026.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 322
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 280
  • P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 264
Hey KC

Yes, I can just see you wandering the west in a 2 wheel drive Chevy Astrovan.

LOL

I think your Toyota will give you much more flexibility on where you can go.

Just put an aluminum flat bed on your truck, and then we can build you a cool camper !

The one (important) thing that is missing here Stan is a cab-through feature. A regular cab flatbed F350 with one of those cargo type FWC'a AND a cab through would be awesome.

Well I would lose style points, that's for sure! But after hanging in this little bugger, I was blown away by the interior space, even had a shower & wet toilet inside -

738262243_4NBbA-O.jpg

Now the interior storage was no more than a standard FWC, and I understand it takes an hour at the gas pumps to fill up because they run the fill neck parallel to the ground, with no help from gravity... but the elbow room seemed much better. And the swiveling passenger seat was a great feature.

That said, I couldn't see spending hours behind the wheel driving one, as the footwell on the driver's side was tight for me due to engine position in those vans. And the driver's seat doesn't recline due to the fridge/pantry located directly behind it. But it was nice to hang out in at camp!

I like this thing, built by Irbis Off-Road in Denver (<--- build thread link) - a Tundra with an old Toyota Chinook body grafted on the bed. Would've been sweet if they finished it before selling it...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That thing is waaay more me than an AstroVan! V8 power, a cab-to-cabin pass-thru, smooth sided finish, color matched, badass! :cool:

Now this here truck is what we are talking about....this thing is a beast, an absolute monster. Dave Rowe who created FWC, was the originator of the Tiger provans, of course. Clearly he had similar feelings about the bed, and the use of interior space. Call me crazy, but I can still see the FWC lines in a Tiger, its a logical progression. I don't have the bank account to even THINK of getting one of these, but if I did....I would take this darling over an Earthroamer. Now we will all bow before the beast.

Attachments

• IMG_5310.jpg
    IMG_5310.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_6566.jpg
    IMG_6566.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_6567.jpg
    IMG_6567.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 488
Nice yes, but a logical extension of the fwc? I don't think so. It still suffers from the same problem all non pop ups have. Too tall.

Yeah, if I were wealthy a custom pop up on a flat bed would be the way to go, but I really can't complain. My truck and camper, for what they are, what they do and what they cost are about as much as I could ask for.

Hi All;
I saw that my camper was mentioned on this forum a few times and
wanted to introduce myself. My name is Marc Wassmann and I am the “creator” of the XPCamper.

The pop up kind of looks like mine when closed; not so when opened :)

Also it seems like a frame mounted unit; while mine sits on a flatbed and is removable within 10 minutes.

Hi All;
I saw that my camper was mentioned on this forum a few times and
wanted to introduce myself. My name is Marc Wassmann and I am the “creator” of the XPCamper.

The pop up kind of looks like mine when closed; not so when opened :)

Also it seems like a frame mounted unit; while mine sits on a flatbed and is removable within 10 minutes.

Welcome to the board Marc. Some of us here at WTW have followed your camper project for a while now. Please feel free to post an update on your camper (hopefully with pics!) in a new thread if you would like.

Welcome to the board Marc. Some of us here at WTW have followed your camper project for a while now. Please feel free to post an update on your camper (hopefully with pics!) in a new thread if you would like.

Thanks Dirty Dog!! Will do :D

Back
Top Bottom