Porch Light

Rob in MT

The ATC shell comes with a porch light, is this the rear flood light? thanks

The ATC shell comes with a porch light, is this the rear flood light? thanks

No. The rear flood's are in addition to the Porch light. I had ATC put an additional Porch light on the awning side which I regularly use. I believe ATC pre wire for the rear floods so should be an easy install if you decide to go that route. Check with Marty and he can give you the exact spot of the wires on the rear wall.

marc

What is the porch light then and where is it located?

The porch light (yellow) is above the AC unit on the passenger side....the flood lights are mounted in the corners on both sides. If you look closely, you can see the additional porch light under the awning.

Attachments

• porch_light_and_flood_lights.JPG
    porch_light_and_flood_lights.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 241
Thanks, I was going to ask about the awning light, looks similiar to the porch light, do you feel it is useful? It's yellow? I thought it was the same as the floods.

How about the rear steps, do you use them much? I really can't think what I would use them for. Or do they allow you access to a good portion of the roof?

Thanks for your help

I think the porch light is great, use it all the time, more so than my rear floods. It casts a nice soft light. The steps are critical for me as i carry my spare fuel and surfboards on the roof regularly. Guess it depends on how much you think you will need to get up there. I rarely use the upper steps though, usualyl just the two lower ones.

Thanks, I was going to ask about the awning light, looks similiar to the porch light, do you feel it is useful? It's yellow? I thought it was the same as the floods.

How about the rear steps, do you use them much? I really can't think what I would use them for. Or do they allow you access to a good portion of the roof?

Thanks for your help

I use the two yellow lights now and then when I don't have the lantern going, the floods when I'm trying to back into a campsite at night, and I never use the steps; but then I don't have any. I bring a short ladder if I'm carrying gear on the roof.

Thanks for your help

The awning light is identical to the porch light. I use it everytime I use the awning. I don't use the rear porch light that much....but I use the floods all the time. I tow a covered Wells Cargo trailer and it has a mount for my barbeque grill. I run the floods when I'm cooking outside to illuminate the grill (and the rest of the camp site).

Also, I use the rear steps all the time. I use the one step on the passenger side to pull me up into the camper. It is a lot more sturdy than the handle that was provided for that purpose. I use the two steps on the drivers side to access the roof items.

Attachments

• grill_on_trailer.JPG
    grill_on_trailer.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 171
On my Bobcat the Porch Light is on the left side. I have both the amber lights, one on the back and one on the right next to the awning. The back on is good when you want to go out at night and see where you are going or whats out there without illuminating flood lights. The amber light next to the awning is good if you are cooking outside under the awning or just wanting some not to bright light on that side. You could consider them as safety lights too. They at least let you see whats going on some what outside without making a big attraction of yourself. If you are getting a new camper, they are cheap add on. The floods are more than I want, but I wanted something. Its all preference I suppose.

The rear wall steps are a good safety idea even if you don't want to put anything on top. Consider if you end up camping and it snows. You will need to be able to reach the top to clean off the snow so you can properly close your top.

Darryl

we just have a single 'porch' light and find it useful at night for those calls.i don't know how standard it is but when our bobcat was made there is a separate switch on the inside just below the fridge at the door jam. the light can be turned on from inside when the outside switch is left in the on position.this makes it convenient and prevents some one turning the outside light on when your not at home, buy controlling the light from the inside.

Mine came with the one on the rear. I added one on each side. The awning side was pre wired, I had to run my own wire for the other side. You can get the lights at any rv store. The lenses are removable. Don't like the yellow one? Just pop it out put a clear one in. Takes five seconds.

porchlite3.jpg

porchlite2.jpg

porchlite.jpg

Do you want both switches to either turn on or turn off the light? Doing that complicates things. To do that requires that both switches be at least single pole, dual throw (SPDT). I have seen simple diagrams posted on the net for what the wiring needs to be, shouldn't be too hard to find one. Finding an SPDT switch to go in the light might be a lot tougher to do.

Just one switch to turn on both outside lights. Or each light with its own switch...which ever is more do-able. I'm replacing my ambers with clear lens. I want to control these lights from the interior. thanks for your imput.

Back
Top Bottom