Porta Potti. what model ?

InspectorLance

Advanced Member
I Just got a 2006 Grandby with room for a porta potti. What make and model fits ? I looked at the dimensions of the Thetford 135 and it looks like it would be a tight fit.

what fits and what hits ?

Thanks
Lance

I Just got a 2006 Grandby with room for a porta potti. What make and model fits ? I looked at the dimensions of the Thetford 135 and it looks like it would be a tight fit.

what fits and what hits ?

Thanks
Lance

Hi Lance. I have a bobcat and use the Thetford marine model # 235. It was about $100 at amazon.Fits well in my space and has features that the standard units don't have. There is a thread about it some where but i can't find it . I posted pictures around the beginning of the year. Good luck.

Frank

For your own comfort get the tallest/largest model that will fit the space. The one that comes with a new FWC was too short and small for easy use.

For your own comfort get the tallest/largest model that will fit the space. The one that comes with a new FWC was too short and small for easy use.

DLN is right on! My Hawk originally came with the long couch on the right side. The space accommodated the Thetford porta potti that FWC installs. It was ok....but like DLN says.....it was a bit short.

Later, I had FWC tear out the couch and install the dinette. Part of that conversion was raising the height of the right side boxes by 3 inches. With the extra space available, I ordered a Thetford 465 with electric flush. What a nice upgrade. You will appreciate the extra height and capacity....especially on long trips.

Attachments

• DSC_0002_10001.JPG
    DSC_0002_10001.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 592
i just cant standby and take any more of this: no interest in the alternative solutions already listed on this site? hmmmm?

come on.....messing with the chemicals...ugh....they make the problem a lot worse to deal with.

one leak in the camper interior and i am done. bumpy roads and a porta potti that is "holding" are not good.

Aside from that, you're dropping/storing turds less than 36" from where you're preparing your next meal.

Just something to think about...

KISS

No portapotti, no seat of any kind. WAG bags, simple way to take care of the daily duties. You go outside, open the package, spread out the appropriate bag on the ground, do a bombing run over the target, grab the bag, shake it up to spread the magic enzymes, seal everything up in the small outer bag, and toss it in the trash when you can.

No muss, no fuss, no odor, no searching for the prefect spot, we are not leaving a treasure behind for the next visitor to find, and we are not carrying around floaters in a bucket in the camper.

Attachments

• wag-bag-001.jpg
    wag-bag-001.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 325
  • wag-bag-002.jpg
    wag-bag-002.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 332
KISS

No portapotti, no seat of any kind. WAG bags, simple way to take care of the daily duties. You go outside, open the package, spread out the appropriate bag on the ground, do a bombing run over the target, grab the bag, shake it up to spread the magic enzymes, seal everything up in the small outer bag, and toss it in the trash when you can.

No muss, no fuss, no odor, no searching for the prefect spot, we are not leaving a treasure behind for the next visitor to find, and we are not carrying around floaters in a bucket in the camper.

x2 on the PETT Wag bags.

Easy to use and good for multiple uses. I use the bags with the folding seat when camping in the truck. I bought the seat when I had a hurt knee and had a hard time squatting, now I like the seat because it is relaxing to use.

It is a good alternative to a holding tank system.

Hey guys we've had this pett versus wet debate already, the question was which model of porti-potti to use, not what type to use. If we keep this up the fisherman will freak out again.

Hey guys we've had this pett versus wet debate already, the question was which model of porti-potti to use, not what type to use. If we keep this up the fisherman will freak out again.

Thanks for the reminder, sorry.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I gotta say here that i would never have bought any type of porta potti, the concept never appealed to me and i have always been a dig a hole and burn the paper kind of guy. That said, my Hawk came with a Thetford 135 (the El Cheapo model) and it sat in the garage for the first year.

Many of the places I like to go to in Baja to surf, although remote, are not always unpopulated. Some of these places have serious issues with human waste. Anyway, a couple of years ago I decided lug it along for convenience and to do my part in not exacerbating the problem and I must say i was surprised. I'm not too keen on the thought of dragging my deuces around with me, especially where i sleep. That said I've only used it a half dozen times but so far it has never leaked and i have never detected an unpleasant odor. And the roads that lead to these places are some of the worst.

Anyway, i'm not advocating for or against porta potti's, just stating my experience. The WAG bag concept really appeals to me but for now i think i'll continue to use my Thetford out of convenience when i venture into these sensitive places. They seem to work and it appears they know what they are doing in this field. Hope it doesn't prove me wrong!

I've never had my porta potti leak either. I also have a Pett toilet with the waag bags. I use the porta potti for long stays (a week or more)....and I use the Pett toilet for short trips (a couple of days). It's the best of both worlds.

For the type of traveling I do, the the porta potti is the perfect solution for late nite or emergencys. I dont think many would appreciate a person with thier pants down squating on a pad. Thats for the outback and desert camping.

I want to know what make and model fits under the seat of a newer Grandby ? Yes, I want the short uncomfortable one that everyone hates. It fits nice, tucks away, and only pull out when really needed.

Thanks you

Lance

For the type of traveling I do, the the porta potti is the perfect solution for late nite or emergencys. I dont think many would appreciate a person with thier pants down squating on a pad. Thats for the outback and desert camping.

I want to know what make and model fits under the seat of a newer Grandby ? Yes, I want the short uncomfortable one that everyone hates. It fits nice, tucks away, and only pull out when really needed.

Thanks you

Lance

I had old Thetford 135, just bought 2010 Hawk. I wanted new porta potti. Found Flamma BI-POT 34, just fits into space for porta potti in Hawk, had to cut off front boult holding couch at nut. Got it for $79 with free shiping special from JC Whitney. Holding tank on Flamma BI-PORT 34 is at 1/3 gallon more than Thetford 135. In real life practical use more than that.

Attachments

• P7130882_edited-2.jpg
    P7130882_edited-2.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 360
  • P7130883.jpg
    P7130883.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 409
  • P7130885.jpg
    P7130885.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 313
I can attest to the fact that these things seal very well. If you're going from low altitude to high altitude be careful when you open the valve.
Don't ask how I found this out.

I use this system (the small Boom Box) for self support river trips and carry it in the camper in areas that have waste carry out requirements. Works fine for occasional use,small and compact, lightweight.

http://www.eco-safe.net/

Dsrtrat

I can attest to the fact that these things seal very well. If you're going from low altitude to high altitude be careful when you open the valve.
Don't ask how I found this out.

We know how you know. :eek: Since most of our trips start at sea level and are into higher elevations, we now put a post-it note on the lid when we leave - "Open flush valve before lifting lid".

Speaking of things to avoid, don't let large groups use it even if you strenuously mention to be sure and let you know if the guage gets in the red.

Back
Top Bottom