Portable Fridge recommendations

mhjackson123

Advanced Member
I am looking for advice on getting a portable fridge for our FWC Hawk Shell. I have narrowed my choices down to ARB and Truckfridge models due to availability in Canada and am trying to decide between ARB and TF as well as between the smaller size (35L ARB or 42 L TF) or the larger size (47L ARB or 56L TF).
The TF fridges are less expensive than the ARBs, but there seem to be fewer accessories available such as a transit bag etc.
For both brands, the two sizes seem to be the same length and width but different heights and using the same cooling/compressor system.
How useful have people found the extra volume space?

I looked for a thread comparing portable fridge models, but could not find one... if this has already been discussed, please point me in the right direction!

Steveston Marine in Vancouver carries Engel (and are usually on sale during this time of year. I have the MR40 (now 5 years old) and it is still serving me well. I usually use it as a freezer, and leave it in the cab of the truck (usable even when my camper is off the truck).
When I purchased it (March 2012), it was $750 (Cdn). All online retailers were more expensive at the time ($799 US + shipping).

Had the TF been available at the time (I did not find it in my online searches), I probably would have ordered it, instead of the Engel

My wife and I have used the camper about 375 nights since we picked it up in June 2012., and the 40 has been good for us.

The TF is an Indel B, used across the world and offered for sale through various other vendors as well such as Equipt in SLC . I've seen them and they're a solid unit with a good price point. The ARB is spendy but outstanding; I bought mine during a special sale. ARB service and backup are top notch, though, and I have zero regrets buying it.

The 50 liter size seems to hit the sweet spot for most people. I have the ARB 53l and it works well. I rarely fill it to capacity for myself but find the extra room handy when I'm with a group. I tend to replenish refrigerated supplies every 5 days of so. I don't keep a lot of cold sodas or beer in it which can take up space, but if you restock each evening with a "daily allotment" of drinks you can enjoy cold ones the next day.

I bought a TF 42L back in early 2012 and it has been great.
Last year on 5 night ferry trip in Alaska it was on the whole ferry trip.
The voltage setting was on high with my 100ah battery.
It shut off some time during the early morning of the last night.Still holding the temp of 36*.
Not sure that there is a thread that compares the two but has posts from both owner types.
Frank

I,ve been running an ARB for several years and really like it, it's the ARB 50 and is just the right size. Mounted it in my Eagle shell and hard wired it. Ron

I think either one would be fine for you. We use a 40L Engel, and it actually has a little too much capacity for short trips. I fill it with frozen water bottles to take up the additional volume. You can either drink the cold water as it thaws, or use it to keep an ice chest going.

I recently had the same question about size and just ordered a Truckfridge TF51 based on the feedback that I got back. The footprint is the same for the TF41, the only difference is height which isn't going to be a problem for me. The power draw seems to be about the same too. Interesting thing when I ordered it, the website said it was $599.00 plus shipping, but when I got the confirmation e-mail, it was $549.00 and free shipping!! Whaaat?? Works for me. The topic was Truck Fridge Portable Fridge. Sorry I don't know how to include the link to the thread.

Thanks for all the feedback! It looks as if I can't go wrong with any of the models mentioned. After more searching I found good info on power usage etc, which helps in the planning.
I need to measure some spaces in my boat as I would like to be able to move the fridge from the Hawk shell to my 22ft C-dory at times.
I am leaning towards the larger 50ish qt/L sizes since I can always keep a few extra beers in the fridge to use up the space!

mhjackson123 said:
Thanks for all the feedback! It looks as if I can't go wrong with any of the models mentioned. After more searching I found good info on power usage etc, which helps in the planning.
I need to measure some spaces in my boat as I would like to be able to move the fridge from the Hawk shell to my 22ft C-dory at times.
I am leaning towards the larger 50ish qt/L sizes since I can always keep a few extra beers in the fridge to use up the space!
CDory??? Are you on CBrats?

We use our Engel on our CDory, complimented by an ice chest for daily stuff. The Engel serves as a freezer, and a way of Making/keeping ice for the Yeti. In hot weather (85 degrees F and up) takes about 2 hours of charging (Yamaha 1000) a day to keep the Group 27 battery topped off.

Dr Bob (Thataway) uses two on his dory. One as a freezer, one as a refer.

mhjackson123 said:
Small world! I am definitely also a C-brat. Where do you keep the Engel on the c-dory?
Yup, small world. Maybe we need a thread for Brats. There are at least three of us now.

If I'm solo, it's in the cabin. When The Bride is on the trip, it is in the cockpit on the port side. I leave enough clearance for the door to swing closed.

Always great to hear about the C-Dorys! I'm not active with the C-Brats but sold almost 500 of them over 24 years and have thousands of miles cruising Lake Superior in them. Count me in, Dave Miller(Bigfoot Dave)

So, I ended up getting the ARB 50 qt and so far it is looking good. As a bit of a test, i have been running it in my c-dory on AC in my driveway with a power meter in line. So far it has been cooling several litres of water to the set temp of zero C, and being opened occasionally. Not very scientific, but based on 66 hrs of running so far it had used .41 kWh which converts to 6.2 W average and about a 0.5 A average current.
How low should I let the battery go? The ARB has several cutoff voltages...

Nice choice, :) . I also recently picked one up.Have you checked the accuracy of the digital thermostat. ? I used a calibrated Thermo Chef meat thermometer( ice method for calibration) and my ARB readout was 12 degrees F cooler than actual temp. The ARB can be calibrated plus/minus 8 degrees on the control panel. I added plus 8 to get it accurate within 4 degrees , that number is within the manufacture's specs. At the time of the test ambient air temp was 63/65 F.It was 2/3 full which helps to stabilize the internal temperature. How do you feel about the noise level while the compressor is running ? It seems pretty quiet to me, but it sits in my kitchen until the camper is ready...

Rock

Thanks. I was going to check the actual temp soon. I have a wireless thermometer that I was going to rig up... I don't remember seeing how to calibrate the ARB temp setting.

You may not need to adjust it. For some reason I seem to test/measure/calibrate everything. I will def put a wireless thermo inside. They have great customer support, and I've never had an issue getting a tech on the phone in a timely fashion.

I couldn't find it in the manual but I did google " Calibrate ARB Fridge 50 L and came up with directions on a Land Rover site, I tried to copy/paste here and failed. The procedure is very quick and simple.

I also couldn't use the "quote " function here this time, maybe sunspots ? IDK why...

Rock

mhjackson123 said:
So, I ended up getting the ARB 50 qt and so far it is looking good. As a bit of a test, i have been running it in my c-dory on AC in my driveway with a power meter in line. So far it has been cooling several litres of water to the set temp of zero C, and being opened occasionally. Not very scientific, but based on 66 hrs of running so far it had used .41 kWh which converts to 6.2 W average and about a 0.5 A average current.
How low should I let the battery go? The ARB has several cutoff voltages...
12.2v is what my batteries (Rolls/Surrette AGM) claim as 50% SOC at 25*C.

Just thought I would provide an update. My ARB 50qt has been using about 12 Ah per day while keeping everything at just above zero Celsius. So I appear to have about 3 days worth before draining my 72AH factory supplied battery to 50% (assuming no other draws - I rarely use the heater and fantastic fan and the lights are not on for long.). I have been using a 40W portable GoPower solar panel and it seems to be able to keep up with the fridge pretty well (up here in Victoria BC) when not moving, and driving for an hour seems to also replenish a day's worth of Fridge use. All in all I am delighted with this fridge system. It seems that these portable compressor fridges are great!
I installed a Victron 700 battery monitor and am really impressed with it. It gives me a very good idea of what goes in (from solar, truck or charger) and out of the battery

Back
Top Bottom