Portable solar help.

Oakleyrossi

Advanced Member
I recently acquired a renogy 100w portable panel with controller as part of the portable set up. My hawk is pre-wired top and rear. I have found the the push pin connectors stashed behind the sink and also the collied wires near the battery. I am trying to figure out how to wire this all together so we can utilize the panel out the back connection. We do have a BMV 712 Monitor connected too. I want to experiment with this portable panel before we decide if we need more and want to go a different route. I have searched the site and can’t find best way to connect when panel has built in charge controller. Getting the panel set up for plug and play is easy it’s just figuring out how it all connects in the camper. Anyone have some insight. Much appreciated.

Hi Oakleyrossi,

Treat it like a truck alternator charging the camper battery. Panel has controller integrated in the panel where it would be nice to put the controller near the battery.

The pre-wired plug ins are backwards polarity, so check when you use a SAE plug that the positive current is coming out of the controller all the way to the battery. Use a meter.

Plug the panel/controller into the pre-wired port using a SAE plug.
Under the sink make sure the wires are connected.
At the battery attach the solar wires. RED to Positive battery. BLACK to your negative "LOAD side of your shunt.

Now any solar charge you receive will be counted with the BMV-712

Thanks pvstoy

Yes, I am aware of the reverse polarity so I will get that figured out via a Multi-meter just to make sure. My one question is what do you mean by "connected" with the under the sink wires. They are currently terminated in the plastic push connectors. All red in one and ll black in another

Some of the camper newer models had the wires under the sink not connected together. You are good with yours, as was with mine

Awesome Thanks... We will see how it goes. We don't spend too much time in one spot and with a yakima box on the top and mostly camping in the shade around here hoping a little additional solar may be the ticket. Plus the panel was given to me so it will be a great test.

One more question for you all.....Should I have a fuse in the system? from the coiled up red wire and the battery?

I would. You can add a in-line fuse on the positive wire. AMP fuse wise your solar may not push many amps so say 15 to 30 amp should do it. That fuse is really protecting the wire coming from the battery if there is a short between the controller and the battery. Fuse pops then if the controller is still working then you have nothing to protect the wiring from the controller. Some say to fuse both ends.

Yep. That helps a ton thanks. Getting back home tonight. Hoping to get this set up tomorrow. Hopefully won’t be back with more questions just a success story.

Back
Top Bottom