Portable Solar Panel Addition

rubberlegs said:
My guess is 100W is enough for those loads. But I wonder about the flexible panels. Do you lay them on the ground? If you drape them over a chair, for example, will the panel bend over the chair, thus not all the cells will be at the same angle? I think that will affect the power output quite a bit. I like the light weight though.
I will be attaching it to my camper roof using a bonding agent as per U tube instructions. The do bend up to 280 degrees which makes it pretty flexible.

You might check some of the other threads about the flex panels. They were mentioning that bonding to the roof means they get really hot and don't perform well. But I don't recall the details.

rubberlegs said:
You might check some of the other threads about the flex panels. They were mentioning that bonding to the roof means they get really hot and don't perform well. But I don't recall the details.
Thanks for the reminder.....meant to check up on that.

+2 Spend time resesearching solar roof mounting. A direct bond is theorized to cause heat damage/failure. Air flow underneath seems necessary. Also direct bonding greatly complicates removal & replacement if needed. Check out past threads.

Stokeme said:
+2 Spend time resesearching solar roof mounting. A direct bond is theorized to cause heat damage/failure. Air flow underneath seems necessary. Also direct bonding greatly complicates removal & replacement if needed. Check out past threads.
Yes...Thanks...I agree. Try and find a system to elevate the panel a tad. Renogy has one ...4 pieces... though its for their hard ones. Will have to check and see if the flex would work with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-RNG-MTS-CB-Drill-Free-Corner-Bracket/dp/B01LWASUU1

Ok, everything installed and charging well. One more question. I have my camper battery directly hooked up to my truck battery with a mechanical solenoid between the two. While on the road can I leave the Solar panel and the truck alternator charging the camper battery assuming the Renogy Adventurer controller will do its job or should I separate the two. I assume all is ok, but want to make sure.
Thanks guys

EM4 said:
Ok, everything installed and charging well. One more question. I have my camper battery directly hooked up to my truck battery with a mechanical solenoid between the two. While on the road can I leave the Solar panel and the truck alternator charging the camper battery assuming the Renogy Adventurer controller will do its job or should I separate the two. I assume all is ok, but want to make sure.
Thanks guys
The solar controller has no impact on what the alternator is doing to your camper batteries. With a separator in the circuit, nothing terrible should occur. That said, you can't tell without monitoring how (in)effectively the batteries are being charged.

Vic Harder said:
The solar controller has no impact on what the alternator is doing to your camper batteries. With a separator in the circuit, nothing terrible should occur. That said, you can't tell without monitoring how (in)effectively the batteries are being charged.
Makes sense Vic and with the blue tooth I'd be able to see it on the cell while rolling.

Back
Top Bottom