Portable Solar vs Roof solar

That panel in the video looks pretty good. It might make a great portable that you could stash on top of the bed when driving. You'd hate to add weight, but you almost need to make a frame around it so you could tip it at angles or mount it.

Better yet, string a few together and stretch them off the back top corners of you camper and you have a back door awning. :)

Does anyone have a photo of the roof of a newer Hawk that shows the location of the now-standard roof solar plug? Looked all over and cannot find one.

Also, how is everyone routing the wires on the roof? I have seen pictures of people putting holes in the roof for cable fasteners, but it seems to me that there should be a way to attach them to the Yakima tracks.

At least on the new fleet, the plug is between the two vents, offset slightly to the drivers side of the roof. Previously I had a 160W panel (not the factory set up but very similar) that spanned the Yakima tracks. I installed it over the plug (FWC provides a 90 degree SAE connector for the plug) so all the wiring was secured to the back side of the panel using 3M adhesive zip tie mounts. Recently I switched to two 120W semi flexible panels for extra power and to reduce the roof weight by 15lbs. The panels are right next to the plug, so I only needed to secure the cable in one spot with the same 3M zip tie mounts. I did my whole solar install in one evening before a trip.

Back
Top Bottom