Possibly going to Saline Valley Warm Springs this next week

Hi Gaylon!

Fridge is snug :) I'm worried about that one turnbuckle - they keep breaking on the driver side front corner. I have two extras (but not the same type) and I did put nuts on the current one so it doesn't loosen. Hopefully, it won't pull break like the other ones. Eep.

Good reminder on airing down! High centered?! That's some deep ruts. Whoa.

Hopefully no ice storms this week!

See you at the Expo!
Dawn

Lots of sand?
When you get to the dunes go left at the fork and avoid the sand. If you want to visit the dunes it isn't that bad. Hard packed to the trail marker then walk out on the dunes.

I think once you do this route, south to north, you will find it isn't that big of a deal. Be prepared for the usual off-road stuff. There's no crazy rock crawling, boulder hopping, water forging, or dune crossings. It is fairly simple. The washboard on the south is the biggest deal. Passenger cars make it most seasons.

Get the national geo trails illustrated for Death Valley if you can. I'd also recommend the Benchmark atlas.

You sound ready. Shower before you enter the tubs, seems like that's a bigly thing out there. Sunrise is the warmest next to the source. Crystal was for us the most comfortable. There is an metal tub south of the lawn, but it was small and occupied so couldn't say. As you drive up go past the pit restrooms you will see a driveway past the palms turn right and look for a spot to set up, it's nice back there and a short walk to soak.
Russ

Cool beans!

It looks like Emigrant Campground is "tent only" - any of you camped there with your pop-ups?
I'm hoping to cannonball over to Panamint, but we'll see.

hoyden said:
Cool beans!

It looks like Emigrant Campground is "tent only" - any of you camped there with your pop-ups?
I'm hoping to cannonball over to Panamint, but we'll see.
I'll be hitting the road this AM - plan to drive to Fallon and take 95 south to Bishop? Depending on my mood I'll be at either Keough HS or Bristlecone's tonight and head into SV via North Pass Wednesday AM. Will probably be at lower springs. Have a great ride in!!

I thought the Wizard pool at Palm Spring (middle spring) was the hottest.
If you want a bit more solitude, depending on crowds, check out Palm Spring.

Ronin said:
I'll be hitting the road this AM - plan to drive to Fallon and take 95 south to Bishop? Depending on my mood I'll be at either Keough HS or Bristlecone's tonight and head into SV via North Pass Wednesday AM. Will probably be at lower springs. Have a great ride in!!
95 from Fallon has been closed. Look at Alt. 95 from Fernley

Found this on yelp. Can't imagine a pop up camper would be turned away, it's definitely not a Recreational Vehicle. You could put string from each corner to a rock on the ground, and if asked let them know you always secure your pop up this way. :)
Russ

We stayed here the first night of our 3 night camping trip in Death Valley. We came in from the west entrance of Death Valley, close to Stovepipe Wells. There wasn't any sign for the campground from the west entrance, so we passed it and had to turn back. There was a small tent sign for the campground if you're heading northeast. It's easy to miss if you're not paying attention. It's a little past the bathrooms on the right side if you're heading east, and a little before the bathrooms on the left side if you're heading west.

It's a very small campground with only 10 spots for tents only. No RV hookups, which is a plus for us. We came in January, so there were sites available, even though we arrived at 2 am. The biggest pro for this campground is that it's free. The other plus is it's tents only. The con is that there is no bathroom at the campground, you'll have to walk about 200 meters to get to one. But don't worry, they're flushing. Other cons are that there is no potable water, dump station, or a pit for a campfire, and it's very hard to pound the stakes in because the dirt was so hard. What we ended up doing was to put big rocks on the ropes to keep the tent in place. But honestly, I didn't mind any of the cons. I was happy to have a place to set up my tent and get a good night's sleep.

I recommend Emigrant Campground if you're looking for a free campground to stay at for a night or two.

ps Hoyden I noticed in a previous post you mentioned see you at the expo. Is this the one in flagstaff next month, have you been before what's it like? I'm toying with the idea of going.

ski3pin said:
95 from Fallon has been closed. Look at Alt. 95 from Fernley
Ski- Just got home last night from Saline so I hadn't read your Hwy 95 advisory. As luck would have it, I did the Fernly to Fallon Alt95 route continuing on to Coaldale and Hwy6 into Bishop. The Northpass road to the Warm Springs was great, washboard at times but no boulders or big holes or washouts. Coming out, going uphill I was driving much faster and shredded a tire just past the old mine (about 8 miles from DV Rd). Just as I was nearing DV Rd lost another rear tire. Yipes!! Pull out the floor jack and cordless impact again. Thankfully I had another spare but now I'm driving 300 miles home with 3 mis- matched tires- so conservative driving was the agenda for the next 5 hours. Now faced with the big debate on which E-rated tires to buy. The funs goes on and on and on!!

A few years ago I had a tire failure just before the Marble Canyon Mine area. Same place you had your first flat. That was when I switched to Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains. I'm on my 2nd set and have no issues. The tread isn't a bad-ass look at me type but these tires have gone all over Death Valley/Owens Valley with zero issues. Not just my rig but my buddy runs them too. Can't say enough about these tires. Glad you had a good trip other than where the rubber meets the road. Please share any interesting photos if you can.

Saline Valley via North Pass Rd was a great ride in/out. No holes or boulders, washboard at times. Speeds were from 5-25mph. 3 hour drive in and 3 hours out - would have been faster out but 2 flats slowed me down. I was driving much slower going in because of the long and often steep downhill. I'm sure that driving faster contributed to my tire issues, 1 sidewall cut and 1 cut right in the center of the tread. Faster being up to 25mph at times,so it's all relative. I was running original SL tires. Replacement E rated tires will be mandatory. sv - 1.jpgsv - 1 (1).jpg

I drove out yesterday via North Pass. Super easy road. I drove in via South and it was easy too, but more twisty and tricksy. I aired down before going on the south road last week. I didn't think the washboard either way was bad - I've been on waaaaaaaay worse.

I camped the first night up in Palm Springs, but it got so crazy windy that the next day I moved to lower springs. I got a few pics, when no one was in the pools and I'll post in a few days when I have WiFi access :)

Great to meet you, Ronin!

Cougar Couple: Overland Expo near Flagstaff, Az May 11-14 (whatever that Thursday-Sun is anyway)

There is usually a Four Wheel Camper section for community camping, but change of ownership and I haven't seen confirmation that it's happening again this year. Anyone know? Anyone? Bueller?

I rode my bike (DR350) in a few years ago and enjoyed an overnight, then started volunteering. I'll be putting in a really long Thursday this year, so if you arrive then you'll probably get checked in by me :)

It's fun - easy for a day and seeing lotsa decked out "overlanding" vehicles and getting ideas, talking with ppl, and getting deals at vendor booths. Some folks buy the package and stay the weekend and take advantage of speakers and presentors and the off-road course with their vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom