Pressure Water Upgrade Question

Mikeb

My 2001 Grandby has a small pressure water pump (not on-demand type).

My question is...can I upgrade the pump to a higher GPM with on-demand or is the plumbing system (hoses) to undersized to take advantage of the increased capacity?

Thanks

Mike

I don't see why not. It is possible that a previous owner down graded to the low capacity pump. I believe FWC only used the on demand pump for years before your camper was manufactured. The best thing to do is to call FWC and ask them. They can give you the correct info.

mike

Hey Mike

It might <might?> be OK to add the on-demand water pump to your old camper, but there is a chance your water lines might leak ??

On the new FWC's we use a high quality pex tubing for the water system with special crimp on connectors.

I think the flow rate is OK, but on the old campers they just used a clear plastic hose with ring clamps for the connections. They were not rated for much pressure.

But i'm pretty sure with an on-demand water pump, the pressure will be stored (built up) from the water pump to the sink faucet.

So if you used a different water line from the new water pump to your sink faucet, it might hold the pressure OK ?

Good luck on your project.

:)

Stan,

Thanks...I did not think about the leak issue. I think upgrading the hoses will be important.

Mike

I just did the exact upgrade. Well, not so much of an upgrade as a repair since the white oem pump died on me on the road. I put a sureflo something-or-other whatever the parts store had and it does leak a bit. I haven't even replaced the sink which does not have an on-off handle, just the hand pump. You might need something with an off-handle at the faucet in order to make your auto shut-off pump work properly. Without being able to feather the output stream, it's an absolute blast of water coming from the little stock faucet.

Natjwest

I think that access to the water lines is so good that I am just going to upgrade the water lines...just in case

Might I inquire what you hope to gain with a pressurized system? I don't really see the point in our small campers which just have a sink. You can get a shurflo faucet that has a flow control switch built into the on/off knob so you'll turn a normal pump on/off accordingly.

pods8

We are coming out of a Lance and momma is giving up some very nice "luxuries". We are not your typical "off road" users but do enjoy a lot of the benefits of an FWC. That being said, I hope to install a hot water heater and then rig up an "in the aisle" shower and outside shower. Pressure water would sure be a plus.

Mike

pods8

We are coming out of a Lance and momma is giving up some very nice "luxuries". We are not your typical "off road" users but do enjoy a lot of the benefits of an FWC. That being said, I hope to install a hot water heater and then rig up an "in the aisle" shower and outside shower. Pressure water would sure be a plus.

Mike

If you're going to have multiple faucets/showers then it'd start making more sense.

Back
Top Bottom