Privacy Flaps on homemade vinyl sidewall - necessary?

philos65

I've just about finished the first of six panels on my new vinyl sidewall. As I cut and sewed, I began to wonder about using vinyl for the internal privacy flap - is it necessary or just how things have been done before?

Couldn't the clear vinyl window serve to keep out weather - it seems that's what it does anyway. Is it convention to have a vinyl privacy flap, or structural? Why not just sew some 2" velcro the inside top of the clear vinyl window and sew up some curtains to hang from the clear vinyl when privacy is wanted?

Any thoughts? As usual, I'm thinking out loud...

Thanks...

Jeff.

Not sure it's needed for privacy. On my Hawk the windows are at least 8' off the ground, not a lot of people are going to be able to see in. And honestly, if someone sees my bare butt that's their problem.

I think they're more important for light control. On a couple of occasions I've been in a campground with lots of light and appreciated the ability to make it darker inside.

I think the most important thing is, along with the thermal liner, keeping it cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold weather. Lots of heat with sun coming through in hot weather.

Thanks Mr. Jorgen and longhorn1. i can put velcro on the sideliner around the clear window and make curtains that will both darken(reflectix on the outside of the curtain) and perform temperature control. Both good issues to include in thinking about a different design. Any others?

I like the idea of something that's removable and changeable. What happens if I fall in love with a pink loving or Miro loving woman?

Jeff

Jeff, I like your idea about just a small strip to hang your own curtains that can be swapped out. In my opinion that lack of privacy flap will not hinder anything strucutural. It does help with light control and I think it significantly changes the temp too. I definitely notice when I open the window to let the light in the sun helps warm the camper more. But I think your goal would accomplish the same task.

Post some photos of the result if you can, would love to see how it comes outs. - Tim

Aren't the elastic cords that pull in the flexible panels during closing attached to D rings sewn onto the "privacy flap"? I don't think the vinyl window fabric would be durable enough for that.

Again, thanks for the comments - the "thinking out loud."

It'll be easy to have a couple window sets - one with reflectrix. That'll take care of heat and light. I think D rings can be put anywhere - they don't need to be attached to windows. I'm following Tim's lead and putting in an arctic liner - it'll work to hang curtains from. I'll still put velcro on three sides of the side panel for the clear vinyl window and reflectrix shades should I want them.

I just sewed the big bottom seam on my first window - and it would be much easier without the vinyl privacy panel. I have a sailrite machine that charged right through about 10 layers of vinyl and basting tape. My home sewing machine could probably have sewed the other seams, but with broken needles and lots of swearing. No way it could have done the bottom seam, and wouldn't have even without the privacy panel.

I didn't break a needle with the LSZ. It's pricey, but useful for straps for the cataraft, sail repairs for my brother-in-law's 35' catamaran, and upholstery. I looked for one used, but they aren't out there, and the couple I saw that sold on ebay, sold for what I paid for mine.

https://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Ultrafeed-LSZ-1-PLUS-Walking-Foot-Sewing-Machine

I was way too excited at finishing this final seam though and forgot to drop the presser foot for six inches. Loose stitches resulted, and a resew. Not pretty but functional. I took pictures and will post them later in the week when I get home and have the correct wires for the Nikon.

I'm going to drop the privacy panel from the other five windows. This first window took about eight hours. I think I watched Tim's video as much as I worked on the panel/window.

Jeff...

Back
Top Bottom