Propane Alarm

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
I replaced the water spigot on Tuesday and caulked around the flange. Early Wednesday morning I heard the propane alarm going off. I didn't smell any gas. I hit the re-set button, the alarm stopped and the red light blinked for a short time. Thought maybe the sealant smell caused it. No issues on Thursday or Friday, but this morning (Saturday) the alarm was going off again. No smell of gas, nothing is on. 2014 Grandby. The propane alarm is hard wired. I would think we should get 10 years before replacement is required. Appreciate some help. Thanks, jd

Good morning longhorn1
I'd call manufacturer with m/n and s/n. Ask them if there is any test procedures. Ask for tech support.

Russ

I had random propane alarms when storing camper with propane off. I found the model CO/Propane detector had been discontinued and replaced by a new model. The new model 31012 is advertised as having less false alarms. I think the old model number was 31011.
I found it here cheapest https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Appliances/Atwood/AT31012.html

I have not have one problem since I replaced it.

The FWC CO/Propane alarm in our '16 Hawk was constantly going off in middle of night when FWC heater was in use....pain in the butt...would re-set...then off it would go again...piercing noise! I put duct tape across the front of the sensor window...problem solved...

We sleep with the two roof vents cracked open about 2"....

I've had that happen with our 2018 Grandby a couple of times and was wondering about it also. I couldn't smell gas either, but after leaving the back door open a couple of minutes the alarm stopped. The second time it happened, it would turn off after the back door was open, but the alarm would start again a little while after I closed the door. When I opened the propane tank compartment, I could smell a little gas. It happened when the weather was warming up, and I had the tanks filled when it was cold, so I'm wondering if they were expanding in the warm weather and letting off some excess pressure? You'd think it'd go out the vents in that compartment and not into the camper, but maybe some gets through. I took the tanks out completely and alarm hasn't gone off again. I'll have to use some and try putting them back in.

jd--

Under the assumption it's because of the sealant vapors, I'd try:

- disconnect from power (pull fuse or remove unit and disconnect a wire) (This is done on the theory that pushing the reset button may not be fully resetting it.)

- vacuum with soft brush (we're supposed to be doing this monthly according to the manual (assuming it's an Atwood model LPCO)

- blow out with canned compressed air (judiciously). (I wouldn't use my air compressor as those are notorious for putting oil and moisture into the compressed air)

- decide whether it seems possible vapors may continue to accumulate near the alarm. If so, set up a fan, leave door open for an extended time, etc

- after a time, restore power to the alarm and observe (and time) the startup flashing.

- see what happens over the next few days. Check occasionally for an alert. Note which LED is flashing and what the timing is on the audible indicator

- if it persists, call Atwood tech support with details on what you've done and observed thus far.

If I guessed wrong on which alarm you have, jd, the principles would be the same for others (I'd think)

Also-

For the manual-readers among us...

The manual on Atwood's site is in both French and English. But the English side is upside down to us so it's very difficult to read. But you should be able to rotate it. On my Mac, hitting control-click (with the cursor on the manual) gives me the opportunity to rotate clockwise or counterclockwise. Rotate twice and it's readable. The other option is to print it off but it's 18 pages long.

I probably shouldn’t respond to this as I’m a relative newbie. But...
I recently bought a propane detector. I was told they only have a 5 year life.
Also, I believe propane sinks so opening a roof vent will do little to alleviate a propane leak in a camper.
If your alarm is going off, check to see how old it is. Replace if necessary. It’s cheap insurance IMHO.

If you have the original Atwood unit which is the combined Propane/Carbon Monoxide alarm, its not surprising it failed. My factory installed unit failed about 3 months after camper purchase. FWC sent me a new unit. The replacement unit failed last spring. Random, false alerts is the primary indicator of failure.

I replaced it with a stand alone Atwood propane unit purchased from Amazon. No issues after a year. This unit fits in the factory hole. I did mount it sideways. You need to drill two new screw holes and there is a small, unnoticeable gap at the bottom. But, the gap is cosmetic and I am far more concerned about safety then a small gap you can't see.

I had this discussion with Tom (former owner) many times about the combined alarm. I do not think it safe to use the combined unit in our campers. Propane is heavier than air, so yes a good idea for the propane alarm to mounted near floor level. But, carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air. Thus, the camper might be full of carbon monoxide before the floor mounted unit signals an alarm. At night, you might be incapacitated or dead in your bed before the alarm sounds.

I purchased a First Alert, 9V powered, carbon monoxide alarm and mounted it using Velcro, head level on the rear lift panel.

Just my 2 cents since you're likely replacing the unit.

I have noticed that when my solar is charging my batteries hard, I have more false alarms. I just did some reading that hydrogen can set off the Atwood LP/CO alarm. Guess what batteries emit when they are charging. Yup, Hydrogen. My batteries sit 3 inches from the Atwood unit. Having this hypothesis as to my issue, I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe replace with just a LP sensor and replace the smoke detector with a smoke + co2 sensor...

Not sure what kind of batteries you're using in your FWC camper, but, using a vented battery can be quite dangerous due to lack of forced air ventilation in the battery compartment. Using a vented battery will surely get you alarm activation when charging and they are probably not false alarms.

AGM batteries are not vented and do not require ventilation even though most manufacturers state to use such a battery in a ventilated space. I have never had alarms due to my Optima Blue Top AGMs charging.

We too have experienced a false alarm with our 2016, a few times now. Once while camping, which for obvious reasons was the most alarming. The other two times, which occurred first, while in storage with everything off and even the propane disconnected. I've since reset it and no issues, but for $100, may just replace it. I'd hate to be woken up in the middle of the night for a false alarm or worse, it not function appropriately if there was a real problem.

Just ordered a new one. Installing a new smoke detector as well. Heard back from the plant and they said 5 years. Better safe than sorry. jd

Hi LH1
I'm curious did they offer any explanation, or offer to prorate for early failure? Did you go with a combo or split it up like mentioned in earlier post.
Thanks Russ

Mine went off randomly the other day. I pushed the reset button and, not hard, and it went right back into the unit. The alarm silenced but I’m thinking a new unit might be in the works for me as well.

CougarCouple said:
Hi LH1
I'm curious did they offer any explanation, or offer to prorate for early failure? Did you go with a combo or split it up like mentioned in earlier post.
Thanks Russ
Russ, I was having problems with the smoke detector last fall and bought a combo smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector. I'm installing that tomorrow. The propane/carbon monoxide detector arrives in a few days. I went with the same, but a newer model. I'm going to install quick connects for the wires. I will now have a carbon monoxide detector on the ceiling and one on the floor, overkill, but safer. jd

longhorn1 said:
Russ, I was having problems with the smoke detector last fall and bought a combo smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector. I'm installing that tomorrow. The propane/carbon monoxide detector arrives in a few days. I went with the same, but a newer model. I'm going to install quick connects for the wires. I will now have a carbon monoxide detector on the ceiling and one on the floor, overkill, but safer. jd
I hear ya LH1, don't think you can ever be too safe, especially whenever dealing with something to warn you of potential life safety.
Looking to the future with the quick connect.

Russ

FYI-check out what happened to me and Wandering Sagebrush (two fairly experienced WTW/pop-up users and outdoors types ;) ) up at the Sheldon NWR in Nevada a few years ago! I can't figure out how to bring this up from the site files, but I posted this here on 19 May, 2014 under the following "When Things almost went boom!" I am now solar except for the Wave 3 Heater, stove and hot water heater. Ya learn something everyday out there! Enjoy!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom