Propane compartment question

pollux

i am a novice and just got a 2015 Eagle installed on my Toyota.
I notice the compartment for propane tank storage is not locked on the left back side of the camper. If you park the camper on the street, or park in a shopping mall, do you move your propane tanks to the truck interior to keep them from stolen or do you replace the door latch with a locked key?

The door should remain unlocked so others can turn off the gas if necessary (emergency). You could move your tank when parked or put a lock on it. I have never had a problem with anyone messing with mine though.

Imho ... the risk of criminal activity and public danger is greater if cabinet is left unlocked.

I won't leave the tank connected to the hose but I'll be damned if I keep moving tanks to inside of truck while parked for the day or night.

No way I'd lock the propane cabinet door and keep emergency people from access to the tanks. If you are worried about theft use a cable lock on the tanks(s). Also not that the door is pretty flimsy to begin with so it would not be very secure even if you had a lock on it.

Has anybody actually ever had their propane stolen or tampered with? I've never heard of it.

I ran a chain and lock thru the handles. You can take it if you want to mess around unlocking the master lock and unravel the chain!

This came up at the FWC owners rally and I jokingly suggested putting a set rat trap on top of the tanks if you are concerned. Seriously though, you could install an eyebolt inside and cable lock them if that is a concern.

NEVER store a propane tank in an enclosed or incorrectly vented space (bottom vent, propane is heavier than air). Leaky propane valves are more common than theft and a space filled with air and propane is at risk of exploding.

1-They are not supposed to be locked
2-In 20 years I have never had one be tampered with or stolen, nor has anyone I have known
3-If they were locked it would barely slow a thief down
4-If it is locked and someone wants it, they will get it and you will be replacing your tank, your door, and possibly having to repair your sidewall and framing.
5-Worry about something else... or nothing at all

Be happy,
Lee

I locked mine. Firemen don't open doors they chop them out. And to be honest if the camper were on fire by the time any help arrived they only thing that would be left is the steel tanks, the valves would be gone and so would the camper.
There are a lot of guys on here that don't tear off the tags on their mattresses because they are worried about what will happen and what the lawyers will do.

idahoron said:
Firemen don't open doors they chop them out. And to be honest if the camper were on fire by the time any help arrived they only thing that would be left is the steel tanks, the valves would be gone and so would the camper.
Actually you would be surprised. Access to the propane compartment especially during an engine compartment fire (the most common) is quite helpful. RV fires can get pretty exciting.

pollux said:
check this video out starting at 2:00 min

https://youtu.be/t7DUoXh2dnU

the propane compartment has a factory-made lock
He also said they fill the "bottles" via the external port/connector at a "garage" [we also fill propane bottles at gas stations]..sorry not impressed and he stores "chemicals" in with the bottles...swell..

Lock up whatever your choose to ....but like has been stated here, this is an answer to an undefined problem..and like Tim said where do most truck/camper fires start? Under the hood of the truck; I for one would indeed pull my two propane bottles if given the chance with an engine fire or any fire...not to save the camper but to save a fireman or anyone close by from injury...let's see, theft vs explosion, gee hard to choose.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom