Propane connection from Externally Mounted Tank?

bunyan

Hi There,

Proud new owner of a Project M and I'm looking to install a Propex heater as one of my first mods (we had snow on Labor Day). I'm good with a tank mount but I've tried my extensive searching skills trying to figure out the right way to connect an external tank through the camper wall internally and I'm coming up really short. Any suggestions for the proper way to make that transition? Was thinking of just running approximately a 6 foot flexible hose but I can't find any bulkhead fittings to seal that off other than some marine jobbies that only allow a 3/8" thick hull thickness. Thanks in advance,

Paul

bunyan said:
Hi There,

Proud new owner of a Project M and I'm looking to install a Propex heater as one of my first mods (we had snow on Labor Day). I'm good with a tank mount but I've tried my extensive searching skills trying to figure out the right way to connect an external tank through the camper wall internally and I'm coming up really short. Any suggestions for the proper way to make that transition? Was thinking of just running approximately a 6 foot flexible hose but I can't find any bulkhead fittings to seal that off other than some marine jobbies that only allow a 3/8" thick hull thickness. Thanks in advance,

Paul

The dealer service dept where I bought a squaredrop trailer recommended drilling a hole thru the wall or floor. Run the flexible low pressure propane hose thru the hole and use strain relief inside & outside to anchor the hose. Then fill the gap using a can of foam gap filler. The strain relief and gap filler should protect the hose from wear.

Ask FWC what they recommend.

Ask an RV dealer in your area what they recommend.

If you buy the Propex heater that can remain outside, You can eliminate the issue entirely by just running the hot air & return pipes through the wall.

Paul

Howdy Neighbor! ( i live in Big Sky most of the time)
my camper was built by ATC, it's possible they could help. Send me a PM and perhaps you could take a look at my connections and see if that helps.

My 2000 FWC Eagle has something similar to this: https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Brass-Anchor-Coupling-6AZC1. If I recall correctly there is a rubber hose from the propane tank to the coupling with a standard NPT female connector at the end. Then on the inside it goes copper pipe to a brass Flared NPT fitting to an regular NPT adapter to the coupling. I believe I have seen a quick disconnect that would also serve this purpose on either Grainger or McMaster-Carr.

If you are using copper tubing you will need to use an Flared to Non-flared adapter.

Finally if you are running a hose through a hole look up stainless steel abrasion sleeve/guard or if you want to save money use a piece of old garden hose around the propane hose to protect it.

If you get the interior propex furnace, you will have to drill holes for the air intake and the exhaust, so drill another hole for the propane connection. In my prior FWC Eagle, I had a propane technician run a copper line from the propex furnace to a propane quick disconnect. You will also need a regulator.

I mounted the regulator on the side on the camper and then I would connect a rubber propane line with a quick connect. I drilled thru the bed of the truck. So it was Propex furnace-copper line- regulator-quick disconnect-rubber hose-external 10lb tank. I used silicone caulking around the copper pipe and air intake to seal it and high temperature caulking around the exhaust pipe. I also wrapped the exhaust pipe inside the camper with high temperature automotive exhaust wrap, available at auto supply stores just to be safe.

Make sure your intake and exhaust point away from each other and are far enough apart so you don't suck exhaust back.

Kolockum said:
My 2000 FWC Eagle has something similar to this: https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Brass-Anchor-Coupling-6AZC1. If I recall correctly there is a rubber hose from the propane tank to the coupling with a standard NPT female connector at the end. Then on the inside it goes copper pipe to a brass Flared NPT fitting to an regular NPT adapter to the coupling. I believe I have seen a quick disconnect that would also serve this purpose on either Grainger or McMaster-Carr.

If you are using copper tubing you will need to use an Flared to Non-flared adapter.

Finally if you are running a hose through a hole look up stainless steel abrasion sleeve/guard or if you want to save money use a piece of old garden hose around the propane hose to protect it.
That's fantastic thanks exactly what I was looking for.

Glad I could help.

If you can create a build thread and post lots of photos. There are not very many model M campers out there and even fewer build threads. I know most of the folks around here are very curious about them (me very much included).

larryqp said:
If you get the interior propex furnace, you will have to drill holes for the air intake and the exhaust, so drill another hole for the propane connection. In my prior FWC Eagle, I had a propane technician run a copper line from the propex furnace to a propane quick disconnect. You will also need a regulator.

I mounted the regulator on the side on the camper and then I would connect a rubber propane line with a quick connect. I drilled thru the bed of the truck. So it was Propex furnace-copper line- regulator-quick disconnect-rubber hose-external 10lb tank. I used silicone caulking around the copper pipe and air intake to seal it and high temperature caulking around the exhaust pipe. I also wrapped the exhaust pipe inside the camper with high temperature automotive exhaust wrap, available at auto supply stores just to be safe.

Make sure your intake and exhaust point away from each other and are far enough apart so you don't suck exhaust back.
Thanks for that, I considered but I don't have a good spot to mount the furnace externally, this being a project M I don't have some of the empty space in the bed outside the camper that might otherwise work. I'm going to use some of the marine through-hull fittings for the exhaust and intake, one on the back and one on the side so there's plenty of separation. I'm going to take your advice on the automotive exhaust wrap for sure.

Kolockum said:
Glad I could help.

If you can create a build thread and post lots of photos. There are not very many model M campers out there and even fewer build threads. I know most of the folks around here are very curious about them (me very much included).
I will definitely do that, I know firsthand there is very little out there. In my 7 month build-up to receiving the camper I consumed every little bit of information available of which there's not much.

Something to be careful of with that exhaust wrap. It soaks up oil and grease. MISF nearly lost a car due to that oil catching on fire. They sell a paint-like sealant that is supposed to stop this from happening. I'd buy and use it!

ntsqd said:
Something to be careful of with that exhaust wrap. It soaks up oil and grease. MISF nearly lost a car due to that oil catching on fire. They sell a paint-like sealant that is supposed to stop this from happening. I'd buy and use it!
Ok good to know, I'm going to exhaust right through the truck bed probably about 6 inches from the bottom of the heater to that and wasn't planning on exhaust wrap once it leaves the inside of the truck.

Back
Top Bottom