Propane door misaligned

Sagebrusher

Advanced Member
After no other trauma than badly wash-boarded roads in Death Valley last week, my propane compartment door on my 2019 Hawk Shell became badly misaligned. I can't see any problem with the hinge nor how to take it apart since it is rivetted on. After a little banging it can be forced shut, but then is hard to open-not good in an emergency.

Anybody have this issue and figure out an easy fix? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sagebrusher said:
After no other trauma than badly wash-boarded roads in Death Valley last week, my propane compartment door on my 2019 Hawk Shell became badly misaligned. I can't see any problem with the hinge nor how to take it apart since it is rivetted on. After a little banging it can be forced shut, but then is hard to open-not good in an emergency.

Anybody have this issue and figure out an easy fix? Thanks for any suggestions.
I hope I’m wrong, but I’m wondering if you have something more serious going on. Assuming the door is on the back wall, can you step back and see if there is any slight twist or buckling siding on the back of the camper. Maybe measure diagonally to see if the distances are equal.

As fish more said, pictures would help.

Good suggestion. The back side diagonals are the same within 1/8 inch.

Here are some pics. It doesn't look like much but it takes several hard whacks to get it to close. Hinge seems fine and is same on top and bottom. My next step may be to take a big hammer to the hinge on the bottom to push it back a little, but thought I'd ask first. Not sure why my pics are sideways after attaching.

IMG_20220117_140136395-s.jpg
IMG_20220117_140157964-s.jpg
IMG_20220117_140123052 -s.jpg
IMG_20220117_140212143-s.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_140242110_HDR-s.jpg
    IMG_20220117_140242110_HDR-s.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 78
The second picture down makes it look like the bottom of the hinge is stretched out. If that’s the case, gentle persuasion with a hammer on a block of wood might be the solution. Something took a good jolt back there.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The second picture down makes it look like the bottom of the hinge is stretched out. If that’s the case, gentle persuasion with a hammer on a block of wood might be the solution. Something took a good jolt back there.
I concur, it looks like the hinge was deformed some way. Careful work with a hammer and block and you should be able to get it back in shape.

If you have a helper, have them hold a black of wood along left side of the hinge while you hold a second block of would along side the right side of the door and tap the second block of wood until the door is square again & closes.

Paul

It looks to me that someone opened the door too far, it pressed against the rubber stop bumper and when forced, it then bent the hinge out and that bent hinge now allows the door position to be too close to the striker.

I agree with M5040. Before you go wacking things, I would suggest removing the door from the camper (screws and butyl tape should be all that's holding it there) so you can make sure the door works outside of the camper before re-installing. Or, just wack away as suggested above.

I'm surprised by how much it is out though....

Vic Harder said:
I agree with M5040. Before you go wacking things, I would suggest removing the door from the camper (screws and butyl tape should be all that's holding it there) so you can make sure the door works outside of the camper before re-installing. Or, just wack away as suggested above.

I'm surprised by how much it is out though....
Vic has weighed in with an excellent additional suggestion.

The fix suggestions look correct, but wondering about the cause? I wonder if the propane were tied down properly? Could they have bounced around and did that damage?

Well, it took a little more than gentle persuasion to close up the bottom part of the hinge but opens freely now.

m5040 said:
It looks to me that someone opened the door too far, it pressed against the rubber stop bumper and when forced, it then bent the hinge out and that bent hinge now allows the door position to be too close to the striker.
Your theory is the only thing that makes sense, m5040. We can't think of when we opened the door that far, but who knows after a couple beers.

Thanks all for the input. Problem solved!

Scott81621 said:
The fix suggestions look correct, but wondering about the cause? I wonder if the propane were tied down properly? Could they have bounced around and did that damage?
Thanks, but I don't think that's it as the tank is always strapped in.

maybe a few more rivets or additional strapping or some type of support, to prevent this from happening again?

Back
Top Bottom