Propane Mangement In A FWC?

I feel cheated because my old 05 Granby had just one little old 3lb(?) tank and that last(ed) about a week/10 days or so again depending on the time of the year(i,e., the colder the more gas I used). But I had a 3/1 frig/freezer/a heater and the gas range and tried to cook outside when I could with my usual BBQ (charcoal) set up and a outside gas stove(canisters) . I ended up buying an extra tank and never had a problem or a worry staying out for two or three or more weeks. I changed my tank at between 1/8 full and empty; when i filled the tank it usually had about a 1/4-1/2 gal left in it. Another helpful hint is to check the tank just before you hit the rack and/or if you see nasty weather coming in-changing a tank in a rain/snow storm at night is no fun, A couple of years ago, I switched over to solar and added another battery, for my frig/freezer and lights and only use gas for the heater and stove and that one tank seems to last for ever and I wonder sometimes why I still carry the spare one!

Smoke

Has anybody tried an automatic changeover regulator between the two 10 pound propane tanks? The space seems a bit cramped, but it may be doable. I'm thinking of doing this myself. One tank doesn't last very long when the nights are in the twenties and my small dog doesn't like temperatures below 70F. (I confess, me too). That way, when one tank runs out, the regulator automatically starts using the second tank. In the morning just check the regulator to see if it has switched tanks. If it has, start looking for a refill. I hate getting up in the middle of the night and changing tanks at 22F.

They make approved translucent fiberglass/composite 10/11 lb tanks. Propane level can be seen with the right light behind them. Over $100.

Not FWC specific, but clone ATC uses 20lb tanks: I have a 20lb tank that has a real internal float and external level gauge. About 2x-3x the price of a normal 20lb tank. Very accurate.

GeezerMike said:
Not FWC specific, but clone ATC uses 20lb tanks: I have a 20lb tank that has a real internal float and external level gauge. About 2x-3x the price of a normal 20lb tank. Very accurate.
What is the Brand/Make of the propane tank?

GeezerMike said:
Is this the Worthington tank? They cost I think about $150.
That is what is used at ATC. I have one in my Bobcat.
Frank

CORRECTION ,My ATC Bobcat tank is a MANCHESTER.

Hmmmm. Conundrum there for me. Even if a 20 lb single cylinder would fit in the Hawk, the "I forgot to check the gauge" thing would probably bite me on the ass. Just for me it is best to have two cylinders and only one on line. One runs out, I switch cylinders and at 50% I start planning to get more propane...

Phil

I have a pressure gauge that came with my FWC, I never bother to use it, because it's pretty simple to tell how much propane is in a tank.

When a tank is in use just touch the side of the tank, you will feel a distinct temperature difference between the full and the empty portion of the tank, thus indicating the level.

If a tank is not in use, tilt the tank from side to side. It's pretty easy to determine how much propane is in the tank like this as well. It's no different than determining how much liquid in an aerosol can or a small 1 lb bottle of propane.

If the level is low and I'm concerned about running out of propane during the night, I switch that tank and use the almost empty tank for cooking with my Coleman grill.

Hi Folks,

There are some indicators which take advantage of a slight temperature difference within the tank between the gas and the liquid. In the simplest form, it consists of a magnetic strip of liquid crystals which change color at the appropriate temperatures. They are cheap and can be moved from one tank to another. Only works when the gas is flowing. Here's a discussion of the principle:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8755736_propane-tanks-magnetic-level-indicators.html

Do a web search to find them. This one requires you to pour a little hot water on it to activate:

http://www.organizeit.com/accu-level-magnetic-propane-tank-gauge.asp

I think there are others which don't require the hot water. I remember seeing one which was a device you slide vertically along the tank wall to detect the gas-liquid line within.

There is also a simple scale called GasWatch which sets permanently beneath a tank. Not sure how it would work with a strapped-down tank.

- Bernard

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Frank
Correction on the ATC tank.
It's a Manchester tank with a direct gauge on the tank. It's fairly accurate,but I still check the weight for.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Frank
Yes. Available at BJ's for less than $50. Can't order this tank from BJ's online.

What is the Brand/Make of the propane tank (with float and gauge)?

(sorry...answering these in the wrong order). The propane tank I purchased with the internal float is the Worthington Pro Grade 20 lb. I got mine at BJ's for less than $50. Item: 602343 | Model: 308057. Search "BJ's Wholesale Propane tank" to see it. They don't talk about the float or gauge in the description, and you can just see the gauge partial hidden up by the valve in the picture. I can tell you that it works better than any pressure/temperate/sloshing-feel method I have used, though weight can be just as accurate. I like this float gauge, because it gives me a feel for intermediate propane usage as I watch the gauge move every day starting not long after fill, so I am never surprised by an empty tank. I seem to automatically check it almost daily when in use, so it works good for me. I really like the idea of an auto-switching regulator though.

Aren't the new composite cylinders translucent and safer? You can see the level and they are made not to explode.....

Scotty's new transparent aluminum is great for propane tanks, a whale of an improvement as we trek along.

Sorry. :)

Paul

Happyjax said:
Aren't the new composite cylinders translucent and safer? You can see the level and they are made not to explode.....
Love the composite cylinders. If I did not have the float version, this is what I would have. Love being able to see the propane level. Very Expensive, but I only need one. Quick price search: $115 for 11lb. $150 for 22 lb. There may be much better deals. Don't know why they have strange capacities unless they just get more propane in the same size as a steel tank. In theory, composite tanks are safer, but I haven't found any tests or experiences (even anecdotal -- e.g. my brother's girlfriends aunt's dad saw ........) indicating they are effectively safer in real life (if you throw both a full non-empty composite and non-empty steel tank into a fire are you safer standing next to the composite tank?). Both are not supposed to explode. The top should blow off the steel tank, but then it is just a huge blow torch or worse a huge jet propelled blow torch. I don't know what really happens to a composite in a fire. The manufacturer, says the case breaks down in a fire and the propane burns in a "controlled" manner. Yeah, I am running away no matter which one is burning. -- Maybe I'll think about using more solar ;)

Addition: Just saw videos that showed an actual burn test of a composite tank and then another burn a steel tank by the brightest-of-the-drunk (description not actual name). There was more fire, but no explosion and non were "jet propelled blow torches". Kind of boring. Maybe some safety standards are good.

"Transparent aluminum"???? Composite cylinders require special care; if these are same as SCBA wrapped tanks construction. No corrosion but can be cut and thereby weaken them. And as I recall can be damaged by some chemicals. Not a cylinder to bang around! And I seem to recall that they have a finite and rather short [relative to steel or aluminum] life span before they are supposed to be taken out of service. Composite cylinders are lighter than aluminum or steel for same volume.

Just my WAGs and I am not current with the new technology.

Phil

Ps...Looked up "transparent aluminum"...actually a ceramic product with aluminum in the mix.

Wallowa said:
"Transparent aluminum"????
--snip--

Ps...Looked up "transparent aluminum"...actually a ceramic product with aluminum in the mix.
About 3 minutes into this video.
Old Trek fans never die but have selective memory. ;P

Actually, as a retired software engr. I got a kick out of his using the computer.
Paul

Back
Top Bottom