Propane Mangement In A FWC?

Kolockum said:
Just as an FYI, it might be old news to some but all composite cylinders from Lite Cylinder Company were recalled. PHMSA Lite Cylinder Company Recall
It appears to be one company's "unsafe conditions and practices". It concerns me, but for me it does not make me think all composite propane cylinders are prone to failure, but rather it was a bad manufacturer. I just don't see any evidence that composite propane cylinders as a group are any more dangerous then steel tanks as a group. The recall information means I buy a composite propane tank from a reputable dealer and not from eBay just in case some of the recalled brand cylinders are being sold by unscrupulous re-sellers. For me, life is to short to spend it worrying about something if there are good alternatives -- if someone has concerns, they shouldn't buy one. I would not have any concerns using a composite propane tank.

True. To each their own. But make no mistakes, composite [wrapped] pressure cylinders require special handling that steel or aluminum cylinders do not. They save weight but require careful maintenance.

Just my experience....and of course I could be wrong.. :D

Phil

Buy a luggage scale and weigh your tank when you think it's getting low, especially before a cold night in the camper. ;) Low tech but cheap, and requires no special handling or extra parts on your system.

GeezerMike said:
It appears to be one company's "unsafe conditions and practices". It concerns me, but for me it does not make me think all composite propane cylinders are prone to failure, but rather it was a bad manufacturer. I just don't see any evidence that composite propane cylinders as a group are any more dangerous then steel tanks as a group. The recall information means I buy a composite propane tank from a reputable dealer and not from eBay just in case some of the recalled brand cylinders are being sold by unscrupulous re-sellers. For me, life is to short to spend it worrying about something if there are good alternatives -- if someone has concerns, they shouldn't buy one. I would not have any concerns using a composite propane tank.
Don't get me wrong. If I had the spare money I would buy one if they made one that works on its side. I just thought I would share the recall.

I have one of the old tanks that lay on the side and the gauge is surprisingly accurate if the tank is 1/2 full or lower. It doesn't read above half for some reason.

I wrote about this before, but I did not have an exact price at the time. I just got my new BJ's membership. Bj's has the 20lb steel propane tank with a gauge connected to an internal float for $30. I like mine. The gauge is very repeatable. In reality, since my propane usage is quite low, I could easily go back to the "pick up and slosh" method to determine if I should get more propane soon, but I like the gauge. Problems I see are I don't want to trade in the tank at a convenient propane exchange (though at $30, it would not be horrible to exchange it in an emergency), $50 for a BJ's membership, and BJ's seems to be only East coast.

Addendum: Also at Sam's Club for same $30, and they are all over.

BJ's $30
Worthington Pro Grade 20 lb. Propane BBQ Cylinder
Item: 602343 | Model: 308057

Sam's Club $30
Refillable Propane Gas Cylinder with Gauge - 20 lb. capacity
by Worthington Pro Grade | Item #: 623922 | Model #: 325254

Amazon $41

Uhaul $35

We have one of the tanks with the float and gauge. It is unreliable. Usually the float sticks down, but sometimes it sticks up. I've learned to not put any faith in the gauge and either pick it up and "weigh it" or jiggle it to feel the liquid level.

ntsqd said:
We have one of the tanks with the float and gauge. It is unreliable. Usually the float sticks down, but sometimes it sticks up. I've learned to not put any faith in the gauge and either pick it up and "weigh it" or jiggle it to feel the liquid level.
That is good to know. Mine is in a camper that is driven almost daily when I am in camping mode -- my camping is more exploring with a camper. I think the daily bumping around keeps the float from sticking in the couple of years of use. I have not used in on something stationary like a grill, so I don't know if it has a sticking problem in that kind of usage. Something I will watch for. If the float gets unreliable, I'll use it as a trade in or buy another tank like it. It is something I will also check when I get it out this spring. It would be very disappointing if reliability is spotty. It looks like customer rating on Amazon, Sam's Club, and Uhaul are quite high at between 4 and 5, but quite frankly, comments here mean more to me. Thanks for the warning.

Back
Top Bottom