propane tank info

davinski

Hello, all. I have a hawk shell, no heater. so, no propane. But, more and more of my stuff uses it. The little throw away bottles are getting old. I was thinking of getting a small fiberglass one. Then I saw the very cute 5# ones. What do people use other than the built in cylinder, and how do you all mount it? I was thinking to mount on my rack while driving (over cab, not camper) and use at camp. Maybe for the Mr. Buddy as well. One day may get a small generator for extended trips. Propane conversion would be nice.

Please, comments on size, storage and mounting.

thanks

Dave in Seattle.

Hey Dave,
I just ran into the same problem regarding propane use, my Zodi and mr heater use them. I have the orignal propane tank that came with my camper, but I have been using the small one pound cylinders. I plan on refilling the small tanks via the large one, and just have the original tank filled when needed. I turned my Ranger into a shell model and kept the propane tank knowing that I could use it one day. It looks like I can get away with just one small cylinder for the weekend. You can purchase adaptors that are used to refill the small tanks at Bass pro shops. Have not tried it yet, but I like the idea of recycling and taking only what you need depending on the duration of your trip. I have seen the fiberglass tanks and I like them, just a little expensive. Going to miss the Washington summers! -Joel

Not sure why you would want to use the little cylinders when you have a big tank. Refilling the little cylinders is not legal according to the department of transportation, not that I've ever heard of anyone getting in trouble over it.

The zodi and the mr.buddy both can be run off the big tank and its much much more economical.

I have a 5# (I think it's 5 pound, anyway) that we carry for lantern and stove. Works well, as long as I remember it...

The one problem with refilling the small clylinders is that the check valve at times will not seal back up, maybe leaking a very small amount, not enough to detect. I have refilled the small bottles with suggest, with alittle practice you can fill them completely, but be careful not to overfill. I decided to buy a 11# clylinder which is small and can run a stove, lantern gas bbq or what ever outside. I can also use the 11# clylinder to fire up the Mr. Heater that I use in my boat when fishing when it gets a little chilly. I have also added a fitting to my main tank for the camper that will allow to run any propane items as well, with the use of a propane hose. Like Craig mentioned, the DOT does not approve refilling small clylinders. The main key is not to blow yourself up !! It could ruin a great day !! Afar as the new fiberglass tanks, I think steel tanks are much more durable, and you have a less of a chance damaging a steel tank when using outdoors. I have heard alot of people buy the fiberglass for use in larger boats etc, just because of the weight between steel and fiberglass.

Not sure why you would want to use the little cylinders when you have a big tank. Refilling the little cylinders is not legal according to the department of transportation, not that I've ever heard of anyone getting in trouble over it.

The zodi and the mr.buddy both can be run off the big tank and its much much more economical.

Actually, it's perectly legal to refill them, it's just not legal to ship them by paid carrier once they have been refilled.

Good options all,
but remember as I don't have a cylinder now. Gotta start somewhere.
Does anyone have a fiberglass one? They seem expensive comparatively, but do save some weight.

thanks

dave

This does most of what I need.
prophoseWinCE.jpg

I carry this for those big camping trips when you're breaking out all the gear.
S5300055.jpg

There are or were little bottles specifically made to be refilled. Haven't seen one in a while, maybe they've gone the way of the dodo? They were white instead of the usual dark green.

A friend found that he got the best refills by freezing the bottles before filling them, and by turning the large tank upside down so as to get liquid instead of gas. I'm sure all of that is fraught with peril, so proceed at own risk. These stupid 'protect us from ourselves' tanks may not even like being upside down...

Back
Top Bottom