Propane Tank Location Outside Camper

Rob in MT

I've been thinking of relocating my propane tank, attaching it to the rear outside wall of the camper, freeing up the space inside the camper. Are there any reasons for not doing this. Safety, cold weather performance, theft? Thanks for your help.

Theft? Can be addressed.

Cold weather performance? Not an issue. Interesting explanation why at:
http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/11/why-not-just-use-propane.html

Safety? Lots to think about as I'm sure you've seen as you google about the web and images on this topic. The RV industry way would be to have an under-vehicle tank installed. But of course that's expensive, inconvenient, and may not work for your intended uses of your rig.

You might talk to a local propane installation tech about it but here's a thought: I see adventuretrailers.com sells tank brackets and is also a Four Wheel Campers dealer. And their dealer list includes several other FWC dealers. Surely this question has come up before.

10 pound tank bracket
http://store.adventuretrailers.com/products/10-lb.-Propane-Cylinder-Bracket.html

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure this installation won't make the best-practices list:

Attachments

• PropaneTankonVan.jpg
    PropaneTankonVan.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,352
I see a lot of travel trailers with propane tanks mounted outside so the theft issue is just a matter of seeing what they do.

Alan

From experience, cold weather performance will suffer some. How much seems to depend on the liquid volume remaining in the tank and what "cold weather" means to you.

I would look at propane forklift tanks. Those can be refilled like the common "bbq" tank, but I believe lack the infernal flow restrictor. Research this if it looks like it would work for you. They cost more than the bbq tanks, but I'm under the impression that they're less than a permanent install propane tank.

I bought two of the clamp brackets for mounting a bbq tank that are similar to the one that AT sells direct from the mfg. Didn't take long searching to find them.

If a permanently installed tank is the route forward, cast about for RV wrecking yards. May be able to pick one up used with plenty of life left in it for a more reasonable price.

Northern Minnesota experience (20# propane tank):
At 32°F, no real problems until almost empty.
At 0°F, you will not be able to access the last 1/3 tank (not enough pressure).
At -20°F, regulator will freeze, lucky if you can use 1/2 tank.
Below -20°F, you need to do special stuff to make propane work.
Problems get worse the longer you are continuously running propane and the longer and more restrictive the delivery lines.

jim

Back
Top Bottom