Propane tank problem

Chukar Hunter

I have a 07 hawk and have been smelling propane in the compartment where the tank goes and long story short found the valve stem is what is leaking. if the valve is only open part way it is really bad but withthe valve fully closed or fully open the leak is pretty slight. My local Amerigas dealer says the valve is not repairable or replaceable and the tank would need to be replaced at a cost of about $135.00. That just does not seem right for a tank that has only been filled maybe 3 times and just over a year old.
Has anyone else had this problem and better solution.

I had the exact same problem on my 05 Hawk. Getting a new tank was the only solution I could find.

I think I'd find a new propane dealer. I've never seen a bulk propane tank that did not have a replaceable valve. I've had valves replaced in tanks from 20# to 500 gallon.

-

I had the same problem & had to replace my tank. The horizontal tanks apparrently are the only ones the can't have the valve replaced as they have a 90 degree pickup tube to so that when the tank is laid down the pick up tube is in the vapor & not the liquid. I guess the DOT doesn't wnat the valves replaced as they can't know for sure that the tube is vertical when the valve is tightened into the bottle. I was able to get the packing replaced in my old bottle after I got a new one so that it quit leaking but it required emptying the bottle first so now I have a spare for longer trips. The upside of all this is that the old horizontal bottles are exempt from having to have the new style valves put in & can still be filled.
Doug

The Amerigas dealer was going to research if a new packing was available and give me a call but i have not heard from him. Any recomedations as to where I might find a better price on a new tank?

Well you can check every RV supplier & LP supplier in the area for the best price & spend a lot of time like I did when I had to replace mine or just buy it from the Amerigas dealer & see if they'll give you the purge & first fill for free. If I recall everyone was within $5 of each other - about $35 to $40 5 or 6 years ago.
Doug

I want that tank

If this is a laydown tank, with a gauge, $135 sounds like a good price to me. I looked all over the internet, and mine was almost $200 with the shipping.

I would like to fix that valve, or at least try to. I get to Reno from time to time, and could pick it up (hopefully empty).

Same for others, that might still have a defective laydown tank valve. I don't believe it can't be fixed. Anybody between SF and Reno? (No, I'm not coming to Bend anytime soon.)

Repaired valve & tank will be available to the next person with the problem. No cost, other than materials and shipping. Assuming i can fix it.

Back
Top Bottom