Propane upgrade from Horiz to Vert?

mpohio

I know I am not the first to do this, but haven't found anything useful on the net yet.

I picked up an early 90's FWC Granby for a song. It is in great condition and was a 1 owner. My propane tank is well over 20 years, rusted and in need of replacement. I actually have the room if I raise my cooktop about 2"(no problem). I have worked with propane on campers in the past and have correctly replaced lines in and installed furnaces. Looks like all I am going to need is a new regulator and an airtight box to put it in.

I have a couple questions I would appreciate some help with...
1.) DO I need a special 2 stage regulator, or will any 2 stage do?
2.) Does the box the tank sits in have to be metal, or can I use a wooden box with all the edges sealed? I thought about using Dicor lap sealant and AC metallic tape.
3.) Besides securing the new tank in place, proper regulator, is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks, Mark>

full

full

full

I'm interested in this topic. My Hawk is of the vintage that used the 20# horizontal tanks. So far what I know is that I can get a new Horizontal, or use an 11# squat style vertical. Regulators look to be the same regardless, as the difference is in the tank.

I just sold my 2002 hawk as we needed something bigger. I was thinking about doing it last year on my hawk, but held off as It didn't have a heater and the propane tank lasted over 2 years(cooking only). The metal box was quite easy to get out as the only thing holding it in were the screws on the door unit(4x4) and the pass thru LP connections. It just slid right out, but I needed two people to unhook the lp connections(hold the wrench and me turning it. Before you do that, take off the inside cabinet cover and measure how high you can go. I needed 18.5" to be able to fish the tank in and out. You will lose the use of your only drawer as I did on the granby.

I will take pictures as it progresses and of the finished product. I take special care when dealing with propane, but it is pretty basic. Only have about 30 minutes of work in it so far and about 2 hours of thinking about it. A new dual stage Vertical regulator should only cost about $30, and I have enough wood scarps laying around. Beats $200 + for a new vertical ;)

Mark>

Mophio hello
These are my observations and opinion only. Box the tanks are secured in are metal for a reason. Should be vented to the outside of camper, and sealed from the inside. There are probably regs on size of container related to tank to be secured in side. Tank might need to meet certain requirements for transportation/ storage in the camper. That said manufacturer has to meet laws that the owners don't.
Good luck

Russ

Edit
https://guaranteerv.com/blog/standards-regulations-propane-safety/

Thanks for the replies. I took the night off to research and snowball ideas. I am going to the local hardware store to look at sheet metal and see how much a PITA it would be. I thought about using The thin Luan board I have left over from my front lift replacement, but taking it in and out would probably end up putting a crack or hole in it.

I am probably going to use 1/4" plywood coating the inside with rubber spray sealant. The tricky part is going to be making it around the water inlet running across the side. I all the parts so it won't cost anything.

CougarCouple said:
Mophio hello
These are my observations and opinion only. Box the tanks are secured in are metal for a reason. S
FYI, I got a FWC supplied Propane Box for my shell build-out, and it is plastic.

Thanks for the Info Vic and others. I put the project on hold for the mean time. It is doable, but will more work than I have time for as I have a solar panel to install and Fall camping season is here.

In order for me to do it properly, I would have to put a sealable back door inside the camper or raise the counter top 3" inches. My main problems were the H2O fill hose and the tank was way too hard to get in and out through the small outside door(to cramped). I couldn't raise the stove any higher, as the propane hook up was hitting the bottom of the counter and I needed 2 to 3 more inches.

Attachments

• 21690948_1852152124800353_667873138_n.jpg
    21690948_1852152124800353_667873138_n.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 77
Mpohio, I would talk to the camper builders on this work.There are safety issues to keep in mind.
A good place to ask is Marty/Jeff at ATC. They are always there to help.
Also you need a "new" tank as your old one is too old and past it's tank stamped useful date.

This is my opinion.
Frank

Is there a driving reason you want to change to a vertical tank? My 2016 Bobcat has a horizontal tank, and I believe that all ATC campers use them.

2 main reasons for a Vert tank; cost and ease of swapping out on trips. I have hit every state but Alaska and most of them in some type of RV or camper. My Rialta had a fixed tank and it was a pain trying to find someone to fill it. It always seemed out of my way or took and hour or two. I have had 8 truck campers and most had Vertical tanks, except my 3 FWC. I can grab a Vert tank just about anywhere including Walmart. Plus if I recall the Horiz tanks don't hold as much.

I do truly understand the safety issues. I am very careful in my research and construction, but it really isn't rocket science. I always check for leaks before going on trips with soapy water, I use the correct sealing tape(yellow) and would definitely make a sealed unit for the new tank(except the vent holes). It isn't my first rodeo with these ;)

That is a great logic for the vert tank.
Not sure as to weather you said you need a new tank .The photos show a vert tank "Blue Rino".
If that's the case you might as well stay with the vert tank.
Also the horiz tanks hold 5 gal(20#).
Frank

The Rhino in the pic is our spare for the grill. I was just using it as a "template". Yes, my tank is about 23ish years old, and I am guessing the regulator is also. I will be replacing both shortly.

It just defies logic why they would use a Horizontal tank. It really doesn't save any room. If they would have raised the counters 2" and put a bigger access door in, it would have fit perfectly. I find old Vertical tanks all over for free this time a year(ya just gotta take the dirty crappy BBQ grill with them ;) ). $14 for a full exchange at Walmart, or $200ish for a new tank and then $12 to $20 to fill it. Plus I have never had an issue with a blue rhino, but I do pick the newest one out of their cage!!

The horizontal tank does save room as the counter tops don't have to be as high.
One of the first things my wife noticed with the FWC campers we first looked at was the higher counter top.
It felt uncomfortable to her.
The ATC campers have a more comfortable working top.
A vert tank is less expensive then the horiz ones.Usually $30 at Costco.
Something you have to keep in mind ALL propane tanks have a safety date stamped on the handle area.Usually 12 years until a safety inspection needs to be done.
You may run into a dealer/re-filler that won't fill an out of date tank.
Frank

HMM, I was about to bite the bullet and order a Horizontal 20lb tank for $175(Manchester), but I saw a deal on 11lb squatty tanks(Manchester) for $50ish through true value or ace hardware( Ace coupon code= RMN2017SUM = $18 off)

I will still be faced with having to refill rather than swap. If I go with the 11lbs Verts, I can get 3 for the same price as 1 20lb(or just get 2 and save $ 60). The only real downfall I can see is the hassle of changing them out sooner.

Any thoughts?

I

mpohio said:
HMM, I was about to bite the bullet and order a Horizontal 20lb tank for $175(Manchester), but I saw a deal on 11lb squatty tanks(Manchester) for $50ish through true value or ace hardware( Ace coupon code= RMN2017SUM = $18 off)

I will still be faced with having to refill rather than swap, and if I go with 11lbs I can get 3 for the same price as 1 20lb(or just save $60 and get 2), just hassle of changing them out sooner.

Any thoughts?
I have one of those "squatty tanks" in my Keystone that has a horizontal propane compartment, I thinks its a better solution than remodeling. I still have the older large tank for winter camping but the 11lb tank suits our needs most of the time to save weight. Another plus is the 11lb tank fits perfectly in a milk crate; making it quite portable for non-camper uses such as crab boils, the big camp chef stove etc. FYI I had no problem getting my horizontal tank recertified at a propane dealer...

How old was your tank? Mine is from early 90's and didn't think you could get them recertified after 10 years out of date.

How much life do you get out of it, I will basically just be warming the camper up before I go to bed and when I wake up(low 40's to 50's degree). Very little cooking and no water heater. My last Truck camper was a hawk without a heater. Got 1.5 years out of the 20lb tank and was 1/4 full when I sold it this year. Just light cooking.

Late to the party here ..

IIRC Alaskan Campers was using a poly box for the lpg when we toured the factory a few years back. If permitted, I'd look into using a poly water tank as they're available in a wide range of sizes.

I'm with Frank's wife on the counter height. Not speaking of her but If you were 5' ish you'd understand also. ..

When I looked at having my orig '97 horizontal tank recertified the cost was prohibitive, in part because it required a new, mandatory opd valve. YMMV.

Because the horizontals are so darn expensive I went with 2 x 11lbs. Fortunately I have a remote spot to carry the second one which I do for shoulder season camping. imo furnace use is the big draw down but fridge consumption is also a factor. Hard to say how long 11# might last - fwiw I'd expect at least week for a Fall trip (incld cooking but not overnight heating)

Thanks for the input everyone!!
By the way I am 6'3" so the counter tops are a little low for me :p
I think I am going to snag 2 of those 11lb vert tanks for $109. I can always put the old tank back in if I ever decide to sell her down the road.

PS> My 3rd option was making a slide out shelf so I could slide the 20lb vert out and just stand it up. Or make a shelf that you just put braces in the out side and use cotter pins for quick removal/ setup. The second pic is just an idea, I would hope I could do better ;)

Attachments

• DSC03304.jpg
    DSC03304.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 9ab1788709f9f719883e0d35b808b1e1.jpg
    9ab1788709f9f719883e0d35b808b1e1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 248
Back
Top Bottom