Propane Usage

super doody

After almost two years and ~ 60 nights of camping, we finally ran out of the first 10 gal propane. Most of the usage is from the furnace. I'm just very surprise and glad that 10 gals lasted so longer. We could probably keep one of the tanks at home and use the space for storage.

edit: each tank is 10 gal not 5 gal

There is a connector called a "steak saver" that attaches the little green bottles to your propane line to the camper, allowing you to carry just a light back-up plan for those times you accidentally run out in the middle of the night.

But you're right, the propane lasts a good long time. Too bad the battery doesn't. The heater sucks it down like a kid with a milkshake.

$9 from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Steak-Adapter-Propane-Refill-Connector/dp/B011303F2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488867197&sr=8-1&keywords=steak+saver

I agree. I use mine mainly for the refrig and occasional furnace. I alwasy think I'm low (guage is terrible) and I take it in and they add 2 gals. even after a season of use. This year though, we've used the camper about 30 nights already so it may be time to check it.

With mine I only have a single, horizontal bottle and the gauge is very inaccurate. I've written on it where the full point is and that when the needle reaches 'E" i have about a gallon left. I did run out once and now carry a steak saver, wasn't so much that the night was cold but getting moving in the morning without coffee sucked.

New this year will be carrying an 11# tank for my campfire but not sure how I'd attach it the hose, it won't fit in the compartment.

I took out the second gas bottle before my first trip and have never used it. It's heavy and I would rather have the space for stowing hoses, cords, etc. I fill the one bottle every year and have never come close to running out. Just the stove and a little heater use.

- Bernard

Well perhaps I have the record for propane usage. Five years of fairly heavy camper use and I never refilled either of my tanks.

My secret, I guess, is I only cook inside if forced to and I never run the furnace while sleeping. If in a campground I have an electric heater.

Could have saved a lot money if I had just got a shell perhaps?

Took me 3 years to use one of the new 10# bottles. I do have one of the steak savers to use a 1# bottle if needed. I bought it for the old 2002 Hawk with the 20# tank. Never have used it. I have two 20# tanks for my Weber grill. When I fill them if I have an empty tank in the camper I fill it and top off the one I am using. I like the idea of only carrying one 10# bottle to get some more storage space.

Just filled both my 10# bottles. I don't think they have ever been filled before. Camper is a 2012. it took 5#. $3 to fill them both.

I plan to use the extra bottle to power a gas campfire occasionally.

Well you guys are pretty frugal on your usage. Imagine my surprise when I used up a 20 lb tank in 3.5 days/ nights on my elk hunt last fall. It wasn't extremely cold, but my heater seemed to struggle to keep up.

I recently acquired a replacement heater, that will go in soon. My current heater is an older Atwood 12,000 BTU pilot heater. The replacement is an Atwood hydroflame 16,000 BTU DSI. Should make a noticeable difference, take less time to heat up, and less cycling. Anyone know what the standard BTU output is on most of the newer campers, and make. I'm thinking they are Suburban furnaces, and must be more efficient.

So, I guess I hold the record for most usage, but hopefully that will change. Or maybe I'm wimpy when it's cold out!

Poky

I usually get 30+ camping days/nights out of the propane.
I have a gas fridge and only use the heater to take the chill off in the morning.
We do cook inside at times when you can't cook outside.
I have never ran out but the gauge isn't accurate so I only use about 3/4 of the tank.
I do weigh the tank before and after a refill.
That stake saver sounds like something to have.
Frank

Steak saver Less than $10.00 paid for the firs time you us it.

71hsR6b6woL._SL1500_.jpg

Bseek said:
There is a connector called a "steak saver" that attaches the little green bottles to your propane line to the camper, allowing you to carry just a light back-up plan for those times you accidentally run out in the middle of the night.

But you're right, the propane lasts a good long time. Too bad the battery doesn't. The heater sucks it down like a kid with a milkshake.

$9 from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Steak-Adapter-Propane-Refill-Connector/dp/B011303F2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488867197&sr=8-1&keywords=steak+saver
Thanks for the tip Brenda

Flinchlock, I'd be VERY interested in how accurate you thing that is? I REALLY hate always wondering if I should refill before I go out each trip. I really like keeping my second tank for propane it and Partner stove. Not a big deal if it runs out. But as already mentioned I like heat and coffee in the mornings when I get up ;)

Back
Top Bottom