Propane Usage

We used 1- 10 gal tank over 45 days along the Trans Canadian & Newfoundland-Labrador Hwy. Mostly on the heater and we cook out side a-lot.

I burn through a 10# bottle in 2 days when winter camping.
-20C
-4F

To me though I'm getting great value out of having the furnace. I don't want to wake up a popsicle.

I fill them at Costco. Usually $3-$4 per bottle.

We winter camper 2 weekends ago in that temp -20C -4F and opted for a site with power. It's the first time we have ever camped with power. It was nice to run the electric heater at foot level and keep our toes warm when we weren't sleeping.

I ran the electric heater at a low setting at night to supplement the gas furnace. We didn't burn too much propane and found the overall comfort to be better. Less hot/cold swings.

We will be camping again in similar temps this weekend in Jasper, AB.
I will probably get a site with power again, just for the overall comfort.
It actually costs more, because a powered site in an extra $5 per night.

Vic Harder said:
Bill, did you notice any less condensation running the electric heat?
When I go to Jasper again this weekend, I'll keep your question in mind. I think the answer is yes, mainly because I had a more constant heat source. Think of it this way. If you were in your truck and you turned off the heat and started to breath, you would fog up the windows. When you turned the heat back on defrost full blast, they would clear up. On the other hand if you ran your heater constantly at low heat on defrost, your windows likely wouldn't fog up.

Condensation hasn't been a huge issue for me. I open the roof vent to the point that the fantastic fan is capable of spinning (I don't run the fan, it's just a quick way to measure how far I have it open without looking). I also open up one window just enough to tuck one corner of the window material into itself.

I learned from tenting in our cold climate that condensation is the best way to freeze. Ventilation is key.

I have no issue spending $2 to get a warm nights sleep along with some fresh, crisp Rocky Mountain air.

I hear you. When we start winter camping (next winter) I will have to keep the electric option in mind for when we are in NP campgrounds. The "Free" NP Pass crowds should be diminishing by then. :sneaky:

XJINTX said:
Flinchlock, I'd be VERY interested in how accurate you thing that is? I REALLY hate always wondering if I should refill before I go out each trip. I really like keeping my second tank for propane it and Partner stove. Not a big deal if it runs out. But as already mentioned I like heat and coffee in the mornings when I get up ;)
The gauge on my horizontal propane tank sucks!

I bought that weight gauge after our 52 day trip thru British Columbia, the Yukon, and Alaska.

In Whitefish, Yukon, the gauge said the propane tank was half full or half empty.

So, we went to get it filled, but "the guy" said it would only take another pound or so!

takesiteasy said:
Heard about this gauge recently. Uses sonar and bluetooth technology to report the fuel level to your phone. Says it works on both horizontal and upright tanks. I have no idea if it works as advertised but it sounds cool: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/AP-Products-024-1001-Propane-Level-Indicator-p/06-2191.htm
That site also has a gauge that sells for $3. Magnetic/stick on.
Doesn't say about horizontal tanks though.
At any rate an accurate gauge would be nice.
Thanks for the post.
Frank

In Baja I get about 10 Days (ish) between propane fills without running the 10lb bottles dry ... I could probably squeeze in 14 days. Thats using Hot water heater (with daily shower), propane fridge, cooking inside, minimal use of Furnace, and we run the second 10lb tank for the BBQ. I know its time for a fill when the primary tank empties and I put the half full tank that I had been using for the BBQ.

Propane in Baja is somewhat limited so you have to manage appropriately and fill when you see it.

Elk hunting in the winter those little propane tanks only last 2-3 Days. Brrrrrrrrrrr

The only time I've had a problem was when I had my bbq hooked up and didn't realize it leaked. I find the gauge on my horizontal tank reads well enough. When its down to a quarter tank I fill it.

I use a digital fish scale. The empty tank weight is stamped on the tank as "TW". I weigh it when full and then I know how much they put in to fill it. Most of the 20# tanks in the exchange racks are not filled to max capacity. They seem to be 2# short of full capacity. The scale is cheap and its easy to weight them.
Thanks for all the great input on everything, Bigfoot Dave

The best trick is to find a propane fill-up place that charges by the gallon or litre, then top off at the start or end of each trip. Costco does this in my area and they are the cheapest as well.

I recently installed the AP ProductsTank Check monitors that takesiteasy mentioned, along with the monitor. The monitor is wireless, so it can be used inside the truck cab or the camper. The tanks are full, which the monitor indicates; time will tell how accurate they are.

Back
Top Bottom