Propex Heater Install in '05 Eagle

newrivermike

I'm wondering if anyone has installed a Propex in the furnace compartment of an '05 Eagle?

My camper came with no furnace so that compartment under the fridge was storage accessed through a small locked door on the exterior. I'm trying to figure out where to run the combustion exhaust. One question I have is, how hot does the exhaust pipe get? Can it touch wood or will there be a risk of fire?

Can it touch the camper shell where it passes through the sidewall? SureMarine sells a "through the hull" exhaust port but it's $130. I'm not opposed to getting it but I'd have to put it in the door and then I'd lose my storage space and access to the heater. I'd have to remove the fridge to get to the heater for diagnostics.

If the exhaust pipe can touch the shell, I can cut a 1 inch hole below the corner of the door and run it through there. But it would be touching plywood. There's barely enough room to pass through there.

The other option is to run the exhaust up the wall next to the fridge and vent it out where the fridge vents. But that requires extending the exhaust pipe...leak potential and lots of contact with surfaces that could combust. I'm additionally worried about causing problems with the flow sensor (?) if there are too many bends/constrictions and too much length on the pipe. Valid concern or no?

Has anyone tackled this?

I did my best searching and saw some Propex installs but none in this specific compartment.

Thanks!

I have been thinking of a Propex for my SpaceKap and I remember reading that there is some significance to the proper length of the exhaust tube. Check with them before you cut it too short. They can help you with the clearance issue too. Good luck, Bigfoot Dave

Just posting this in case you didn't see the thru-wall photos and description in this thread.

Post 1 sends you to performancegearresearch but I had to look a bit for the info. If you click on the March 2015 archive and scroll down, you'll see it.

-OC

Back
Top Bottom