Protect the Greater Hart - Sheldon

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
The Lakeview Resource Management Plan is being reviewed, and gives us an opportunity to protect these vital wildlands, wildlife, and other important resources. If you’re interested, here is a link that will take you to the Oregon Natural Desert Association (ONDA) website to learn more, and to support if you want to help protect a national treasure.

Thanks for posting this Steve - There is a really informative "story map" about this landscape on the ONDA website that has a wealth of information. When I have a few minutes I'll see if I can post a direct link.

Meanwhile Hart Mtn Refuge is being heavily impacted by a 65K+ acre wildfire. So the connecting landscape between Hart and Sheldon Refuges will become even more critical for protections.

Cheers -

If only there was some way to effectively get rid of cheat grass. The new burn area is likely to be overwhelmed by cheat grass and other invasives if native species seed is not scattered in abundance over the recent burns before next spring. A major undertaking. BLM could do it, but they need a budget, personnel and equipment. Not sure they have any of those.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Both Hart and Sheldon Refuges are in a way laboratories in that they have been managed with grazing removed for a few decades at least. They are both fairly healthy sagebrush steppe ecosystems. Cheat grass is present for sure but not to the extent that it is present in the "pastures". Some areas for sure will probably just be left alone. Expect a fair amount of debate over this amongst the various parties.

Back
Top Bottom