Proud New Owner 2002 Eagle

bryanmichaelmeyer

Advanced Member
Half Moon Bay and where my truck is parked
Hi All,

I am new to the Forum and as of today I am the proud owner of a 2002 4WC Eagle. This will be going on my 2013 DCLB Tacoma.

A little background on us: My girlfriend and I live in Half Moon Bay and travel the coast to surf and mountains all year around. Sleeping in the Leer shell was just not enjoyable this past summer. I was turned onto these campers last year and have been doing lots of research since. Our goal is to do a South America surf/kite trip in the next 5 years before kids, house, etc... Also, I was accepted into a Ski Patrol Candidate program this year and I really didnt want to spend my money on a ski lease or be "that guy" on my friends couches. Thus a camper seemed like the best idea to be self sufficient.

Check out our not so active blog here(we have been busy)- http://outlivingthebastards.tumblr.com/

The Camper: I got a pretty good deal on it but considering the location-5 miles from me and the fact that the owner I bought it from is helping me with the install and is very good with his hands. It is not in the best condition as it has been sitting outside but everything works properly and the canvas really only needs a little repair from minor cracks.

What I want to do to get it ready for this winter:
-Needs a big time detailing
-Add a Thule rail to the top so I can transfer my bars form my Leer. This way I can put my box for skis on top and surfboards.
-Maybe add an arctic package to the vinyl. This looks like a big job but I think my girlfriend, who is a seamstress can get it done.
-tint windows
-new drape set up

Thoughts for next summer work on it:
-Aluminum siding and top could be replaced.
-Fan needs to be insatalled on top.
-New door and screen
-Might take out the refrigerator and just do an ice box
-back-up camera :)

The camper install will happen next Sunday and I will post pics.

Excited!

Bryan

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 11.37.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 11.37.29 AM.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 11.31.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 11.31.11 AM.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 181
Congratulations, Sounds Like You Have some Good Plans!

Congrats, Bryan. Great plans for both travel and camper mods. Just curious about why you are thinking of an ice box instead of a DC fridge? Just want to keep things simple?

highz said:
Congrats, Bryan. Great plans for both travel and camper mods. Just curious about why you are thinking of an ice box instead of a DC fridge? Just want to keep things simple?
Yeah simplicity is the thought but come summer I may really want the fridge. I forget that the temperature is not always around 50ish outside of where we live. We dont eat out too much so it may be essential.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. We decided on a fridge because it is a lot simpler to have cold automatically in a box instead of having to buy it every few days. Question: why tint the camper windows?

Alan

alano said:
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. We decided on a fridge because it is a lot simpler to have cold automatically in a box instead of having to buy it every few days. Question: why tint the camper windows?

Alan
To match the truck, added security and Sometimes we sleep in towns that do not allow "car camping" so we/I will keep the pop up down :)

Enjoy the camper and the updates you will do. My 2002 Hawk has served me well. Search the forum to see what others have done and them make your camper yours. I would second the DC refrigerator.

bryanmichaelmeyer said:
" I really didnt want to spend my money on a ski lease or be "that guy" on my friends couches. Thus a camper seemed like the best idea to be self sufficient."

Yup, less lodging investment meant more hill time for me and having been "that guy" from time to time year around tended to cramp my dating technique. Getting a camper helped with both. Though getting married kinda cramps my hill time. Still working on that one.

"What I want to do to get it ready for this winter:
-Add a Thule rail to the top so I can transfer my bars form my Leer. This way I can put my box for skis on top and surfboards."

You may want to consider looking into the gas strut modification, there is a thread on it in the general camper section called roof top lifter thingys or something like that. The front roof panel on my Grandby gets tough to lift/lock with anything on the roof. It's happening to mine when I re-canvas mine this winter.

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase. They really help persue an active lifestyle I find and I'm confident you will too.

bryanmichaelmeyer said:
. Here is the result(how do i put images in this reply?):
The way I have placed images.
Go to attachments and from desktop click on the picture you want to attach to the post.
If you are replying to a post click on "more reply options",bottom right.
That is how I was told to do it and it works.Make sure that when you place pictures into desktop to use a medium size if you want to post more than a few pictures.
Frank

Good find and congratulations! Especally with finding it so close with a really cool owner. I just picked up a 2000 Eagle about 3 weeks ago and had to drive 8 HOURS to pick it up.

I also spend my winters working at a ski resort and was getting tired of sleeping in snow caves/friends couches/office floors. All in all its a pretty bomber ski bum set up.

Ski on! (or board)

Stopped by the factory in woodland on Saturday and the gf and I received a tour from Tom. It really makes you feel great to see an American made product these days with so much love put into every pop up. Jeez thre were some awesome set ups in the building from a bad ass Fuso to all the new models. Mine has a lot of work to get done before it is snow ready. The front Handel lift on mine is bent and just does not seem stable like the new wood plank. I think I can fabricate this and will tackle this next week but the new lift panels look awesome and way more durable. Calling tomorrow to see what the replacement looks like for the new composite lift panels... Also the gas struts seem a must with the Yakima rack to be or when I have surfboards on top.

Gearing up for ski season and a 3 week ski trip so had to make this happen.

Installed Solar and thule racks today. When i started i thought I was going to put the solar up front and do the wires through the turnbuckle opening but it ended up making more sense to do solar in the back. Hence my thule is a little further back on the camper than desired but no biggie. I took the fridge out the other day since its winter and i didnt like how large it was. I figured that the fridge was too big anyways-only think i need cold is milk for coffee and maybe some cheese so i am looking for a smaller option for summer trips.

The solar was super easy on the existing aluminum racks. Here is what i installed: http://www.renogy-store.com/100-watt-solar-panel-full-kit-p/off-ck-rng100d.htm

All I had to do was drill some holes in the aluminum and one in the frame of the panel and put bolts in it. I will make a custom frame come Spring (when the snow stops falling) so I can adjust the angle of the panel. As of now I only care about the heater and lights working on multiday ski trips. Beer stays cold outside... The wiring from the solar is protected in a box that i got form the hardware store. When i park I can open the box, pull out the wiring from the battery and connect it. All the wires from the battery are in the space behind the shelving I made where the fridge was. I dint want to do holes on the top of the camper and all the crazy cool stuff others have done quit yet since this is my first pop up.

Files were too big so check them here:

Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

I recently went through the same process as I bought a 2003 Eagle. Let me tell you, once you start "upgrading" it gets pretty daunting. I've replaced the following:
vinyl, front and back panels, put in van, replaced countertops, new floor, new upholstery, new bed/pad, new cushions, new curtains, new co detector, new led lighting, new headliner, new wiring and aux battery, reseal and replace roof screws. I have a few minor things I want to do like replace the gaskets around the door, etc. but that's easy compared to what I've done. I had my truck already to go when I found my camper and had the firestones on already.

I think that's it but every time you do one thing, you'll find another (at least for a while). I'm almost done with the counter top and I'll be done for a while.

I took my camper to ATC and had them do the vinyl and panels. I figured the cost was worth it as it'd be a pain in the a?? to do it myself, take forever and the risk/reward wasn't worth it. It was worth the piece of mind for me to not have to worry about leaks, etc. They are pretty close to you and did the job in a day.

Good luck and enjoy. We're trying to figure out where to go early 2014 and we're thinking of death valley.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom