Proud New Owner 2002 Eagle

I can carry 1 longboard inside the camper when surfing solo but need to add a rack system to my hawk to carry more than one board and/or a canoe, did you thru bolt the tracks or use self tapping screws. I'm worried about wind load at highway speeds pulling the self tappers out with the canoe or 3 or 4 boards up there..

Good point @beach. I used self tapping screws and after a quick trip down the coast today I am not confident the screws will hold for the ski trips this winter. I think through bolts are the way to go and will ask 4wc when I am there on Friday for some parts. Box plus ski racks will prob not hold in heavy winds. Wondering how others have made through bolts look clean inside the camper.

I tie mine down front and rear so theres minimal stress on the rack. I think few actually bolt through. I could be wrong.

bryanmichaelmeyer said:
So the truck started sagging after I put on the camper so I installed some Firestone airbags on top of the icon and allpro's. Here is the result(how do i put images in this reply?):

Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

I also ordered this rear camera hook up:

jemkosystems.com

Bryan
Does anybody know if that camera system for the Taco will also plug & play with the Tundra? Looking at getting something similar, but can't seem to find one. I almost think I could find a wrecked Tundra at the bone-yard and swipe the tailgate latch (and wiring) out of the tailgate. I'd dis-assemble the latch and snatch the camera out of there. I could modify the wiring (shorten it) and mount the camera on the bottom side of the Hawk.

Ideas?

Kilroy

I've been thinking about thru bolting right through the headliner, then making some oak strips that match the interior and using them for my backing plates. I don't think it is necessary to thru bolt each screw, just the 1st and/or 2nd in the front and the rear.

Kilroy, ck online, there a few non OEM systems avail. Might be a better option.

Beach said:
I've been thinking about thru bolting right through the headliner, then making some oak strips that match the interior and using them for my backing plates. I don't think it is necessary to thru bolt each screw, just the 1st and/or 2nd in the front and the rear.

Why not call the factory and find out how they mount tracks. I haven't found any threads where a wind load lifted the rack system off the top. I do agree with Craig333 regarding tying down the bow and stern of loads like canoes. Years ago, Canoe Magazine had a photo of a brace of canoes that actually pulled the gutters off a Volvo wagon. No bow and stern ties. I'm not sure that boards would generate the kinds of forces that boats would.

I throw a ratchet strap over the top and hook it to the camper jack plates. I do this front and rear. Be sure to disconnect them before you raise the top or no amount of lift assist will help. :)

Beach said:

I think this is what I am going to do also over the next few week. But in the meantime do what @espresso does with the rachets-at least with the front. I had a dream last night where I was driving across the salt flats going 75mph to hit a big storm in little cottonwood , a gnarly headwind coming on and my whole rack system flew off...

I had my aloha board racks come off years ago, don't want to repeat that. I'm all for the ratchet straps and fwd line with my canoe. I will email Terry @ FWC

Beach said:
I can carry 1 longboard inside the camper when surfing solo but need to add a rack system to my hawk to carry more than one board and/or a canoe, did you thru bolt the tracks or use self tapping screws. I'm worried about wind load at highway speeds pulling the self tappers out with the canoe or 3 or 4 boards up there..
How long is your longboard? The longest board I can fit inside the eagle is probably 7' something.

My longboard is 8'8" , there is enough space(about 3") between the ceiling and mattress to put the nose and I support the tail at the back wall. My short board(7'2") fits inside as well. I keep both boards in their bags to keep the wax from getting on everything. It nice to have them inside when we stop and want to leave the truck, no worries.

Got a reply today from FWC, factory installed roof racks are not thru bolted. Man those guys have great customer service.

Beach said:
Got a reply today from FWC, factory installed roof racks are not thru bolted. Man those guys have great customer service.
I spoke to Brenda today-she said the same thing. I just do not trust just the screws to hold a box with gear and also a rack for boards/skis. I am going to be in woodland on Friday so when I talk to the tech I will get back to y'all.

I know some members like Sunman have travelled with boards up top. Maybe he will chime in.

Regarding thru bolting vs. screws: You have to consider the Yak track has a zillion screws running the whole length.
I don't think anyone has seen a failure by separating the track from the roof, if that is the concern.
Just my 2 cents. :)

bryanmichaelmeyer said:
I spoke to Brenda today-she said the same thing. I just do not trust just the screws to hold a box with gear and also a rack for boards/skis. I am going to be in woodland on Friday so when I talk to the tech I will get back to y'all.
I use the Yakima racks to carry two 55lb kayaks without any problems.

I installed home made racks on my camper and had the same concerns with the screws but 6 years later after bouncing up and down Baja they have been SOLID. I've carried all combinations of longboards, short boards and kayaks and the system has been bombproof. Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about thru bolting, the FWC system is proven and works.
(Gratuitous photo op follows)
IMG_9418.JPG

IMG_9417.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_9724.JPG

IMG_6830.JPG

IMG_6921.JPG

Back
Top Bottom