Pull bed out or no? (Fleet, solo, long trip)

hoyden

Lady Bug
I'm about to embark on a long trip with the Fleet/Tacoma + my two not huge doggies.

We sleep comfortably without the bed pulled out (I'm short :) ), but reading in bed would be easier with my back to the back and not on the soft-side.

I'm not sure that bringing the extra cushions along is worth the space usage.

How many of y'all carry the extra cushions and do pull the bed out?

and if you do, is it a hassle in the morning to move it all just to make coffee?

I have a 2015 Fleet with the front dinette, usually travel solo and never pull the bed out. The extra cushions stay in a spare bedroom at the house along with the jacks. Storage to me is at a premium. Enjoy that trip!

Hoyden, We have the front dinette Grandby and use the bed pulled out so we can sleep North/South. I'm 5'-9" so I have to tuck my legs up a little. Nice not having to crawl over my wife. We used to leave it out all of the time, but it makes it harder to push the front roof up, so we now push it in when we are ready to head out for the day or traveling, and pull it out at night. It takes a minute, so no big deal. We also have Marine Hyper-Vent cut to fit the bed over hang and when the slide is pulled out matches the 1/2" plywood of the pull-out so no hip problems with that 1/2" We also get venting under the bed which is important in preventing condensation.

Traveling single raises a good point. Do you need to pull the bed out or just leave the cushions behind. Since you no longer have a real home base, leaving them might be an issue. Since we have the front dinette, the pull-out is over the seats and doesn't cover the sink or stove. It is a quick in and out.

https://www.miamicorp.com/products/MARINE/HYPERVENT.aspx

jd

Thanks for the thinks. I do have a storage unit (blech), so I can put the cushions there.

Wonder if I should put something under the current cushions for the air circulation.
Guess I could add that to the original question. hm.

I put the memory foam mattress on mine which requires me to pull the bed out about halfway. It doesn't really get in the way of anything so I just leave it like that. I think the old cushions are in a closet somewhere. I try sleep with my head uphill (since I rarely get perfectly level).

As for air circulation I don't do anything. Never have a problem with moisture. Not sure why so many people have issues there and I don't but I'm not complaining!

I can't sleep east west in my Eagle so I always pull the bed out but I also like to keep my head at least level if not above my feet and I find it easier to 'level' the camper front to back vs side to side, if that makes any sense.

I keep two of my cushions on top of my sink (I have the flush mount) nand two by the window so they don't take up much space with the top down and I bungee the ones on the counter with a couple of footman loops so I can store things behind the cushions when I travel.

We sleep north-south and leave the bed out most of the time. If we need the space, we just flop the cushions back leaving the bedding on them. Just flop them back to sleep. Since we have a shell, we have lots of room and no kitchen, so no conflict there.

cwdtmmrs - what configuration do you have?
I have the side dinette and found the roll-over bed a little small (and I'm 5'3"!) and/or narrow.

I have the older no-roll over couch. I raised the storage sides so that the bed cushion is now level with the window shelf. That gives me about 26" of sleeping area without the couch back flat and about 36" using the sofa back flat. No condensation isssues either.

cwd

I have a 1993 side dinette grandby and use the lower bed when I'm alone. I leave one mattress part home so I can put the thermarest camp rest inflated up above while traveling. When we are traveling together, we use the upper bed with two camp rests over the mattresses - in the 1993, the foam was only 2" thick and we are kinda older now.

Wrestling in the upper bed can shake the camper around quite a bit. We've been interrupted by applause from the next camp site! We usually use the lower bed for fun now.

Mike, good thing I didn't have a mouth full of beer when I read that last paragraph. :cool:
jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Miketeleskier said:
Wrestling in the upper bed can shake the camper around quite a bit. We've been interrupted by applause from the next camp site! We usually use the lower bed for fun now.
Haha! Hey, if you are gettin applause, that has to be a good sign :D

Now that I've reconfigured some inside the camper, I think I'll test out and see if that lower bed is comfier (I had my potty at the foot and so I didn't have leg room before) I'd like to have options.

We sleep East/West and the labs sleep on the front dinette setup in twin bed fashion. Like Charlie mentioned, we sleep with our heads on the slightly high side. I put a dog bed on the floor in case one of them wants to stretch out.

Solo trips, I don't pull the bed out. I leave the extra cushions at home.

Well, I only have one lab now...
Our "momma dog" passed away yesterday.

Brook_after_surgery_1000250.jpg

Advmoto18, sorry for your loss. Never easy when you loose a loyal companion. Been there. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Thanks JD!

Brook logged nearly as many hours in my truck and camper as I have. She will be sorely missed.

She'd stretch out on the dinette twin and sleep. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with that warm moist breath inches from my face trying to wake me up. Both of us needed an AARP break at 3 AM.

She loved sleeping east/west in the camper!

My apologies...didn't mean to digress from the thread's original content.

Bill

Advmoto18 said:
We sleep East/West and the labs sleep on the front dinette setup in twin bed fashion. Like Charlie mentioned, we sleep with our heads on the slightly high side. I put a dog bed on the floor in case one of them wants to stretch out.

Solo trips, I don't pull the bed out. I leave the extra cushions at home.

Well, I only have one lab now...
Our "momma dog" passed away yesterday.

Brook_after_surgery_1000250.jpg
I'm sorry you lost your pup! Nothing sweeter than a 'luvador' retriever. I know how you feel, my big yellow lab (Sagebrush) has been gone nearly 15 years, and I still miss the old boy.

Back
Top Bottom