Pulled the Trigger on Hawk

You could also have them just install the track the awning slides onto and just put the silver awing on yourself. Honestly I think I never used the awning on my last FWC which I had for four years.

That's a good idea about having them install the hardware, although they don't even use the slides and track anymore. It's just three clips that bolt to the side of the camper now. My biggest concern about doing it myself was not having it under warranty. I'm surprised that you never used the awning. I used mine on my travel trailer quite a bit. But I live in Oregon :D.

I used my last truck camper surf fishing on the beach a lot and the awning was an essential piece of equipment. It makes your rig a real oasis, I would imagine in the desert it must be more important.

So I lost my battle for the silver awning. Sounds like they have to order at least 18 units to get a price break which isn't something FWC is willing to do. I really don't want a white awning. Anyone have knowledge of some other brands? I see Thule makes one but I haven't been able to find a US distributor.

I guess we will find out. I lost the battle and just went with white. I might see about getting it powdercoated if it bugs me too much. I was told today my build may be completed as quick as the 26th! That's crazy. I just ordered it a week and a half ago. I asked Mike to send me some build pics. If anyone is interested I will post them.

craig333 said:
I could be wrong but mine looks pretty paintable. If you have a nice touch with a spray can.
Krylon makes a paint for about any surface material anymore. Even the soon to be moldy metal of Western Oregon ;)

If it's silver or nothing, I had good luck with the Carefree of Colorado awning I had on my motorhome of days past. Came in matte finish silver on mine. It may be worth a look:

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/carefree/products?action=home

It's probably more important to concern ones self of the color of the pontoon carrier though. Your prowess as an outdoors-man is sure to be better illustrated in your choice of angling and angling support gear.

Congratulations on your new acquisition! I do look forward to seeing the photos of how you get it all outfitted.

Of course while I typed I now see you have went with white. It still will be a stellar camper I'm sure.

rayct77 said:
I guess we will find out. I lost the battle and just went with white. I might see about getting it powdercoated if it bugs me too much. I was told today my build may be completed as quick as the 26th! That's crazy. I just ordered it a week and a half ago. I asked Mike to send me some build pics. If anyone is interested I will post them.
buy it and have FWC install it?

I was thinking about that but it sounds like my camper will be done in a week. No way to have it shipped to them and installed in time. I'm good with it. Just excited to get the camper :p

Got a couple pics from Mike today. Liking those welds. :)

Attachments

• photo 1aa.jpg
    photo 1aa.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 203
Thanks for posting rayct77, now I know where (and where not) to drill into the Hawk and find some 'meat'.

Can't wait to see your Hawk on the big Ram truck.

Kilroy

p.s. I couln't help but to recognize your signature a few minutes ago. One thing I know for sure, you won't be needing the ride-rite airbags with your new Hawk and the 2500 Ram. I'm guessing they were for a previous camper, the Alaskan? ( I don't know much about the weight on them) Having the Hawk on there will no doubt improve the ride quality...

I do love my sturdy and well built tundra 1/2 ton, no complaints with build and quality, but it certianly doesn't hold the weight like the 3/4 trucks do when we load-em-up with crap.

I was thinking the same thing Kilroy. It will be nice to have those shots for posterity. I have some things to add to the interior and these pics will help.

p.s. I couln't help but to recognize your signature a few minutes ago. One thing I know for sure, you won't be needing the ride-rite airbags with your new Hawk and the 2500 Ram. I'm guessing they were for a previous camper, the Alaskan? ( I don't know much about the weight on them) Having the Hawk on there will no doubt improve the ride quality...

I do love my sturdy and well built tundra 1/2 ton, no complaints with build and quality, but it certianly doesn't hold the weight like the 3/4 trucks do when we load-em-up with crap.
I actually added the bags a while back when I had my trailer. Probably didn't need them for the trailer
either but with the Alaskan I needed them. I don't think I will need them now but I will probably still run them with 25 lbs or so just to keep everything level. I'm really curious how much everything is going to weigh fully loaded with water, fuel, (beer) etc.

Sounds like you've got a great plan, and you will love how the truck rides with the minimum air in the bags (10-25psi). Even loaded to the gills, your truck should not sag one bit in my experience. On the CTD your mileage will not even drop I bet. I only lose about 2mpg in my gasser.

I installed my Ride-rite schrader valves independently, and under the fuel door to keep them protected and keep crud off of them. I figured out that my tundra sits level with 25psi in the passenger side and 40psi in the drivers side FWIW. I understand it's normal for the FWC to be heavier on the left side due to the appliances and such. My air bag results would support that.

KILR0Y said:
Sounds like you've got a great plan, and you will love how the truck rides with the minimum air in the bags (10-25psi). Even loaded to the gills, your truck should not sag one bit in my experience. On the CTD your mileage will not even drop I bet. I only lose about 2mpg in my gasser.

I installed my Ride-rite schrader valves independently, and under the fuel door to keep them protected and keep crud off of them. I figured out that my tundra sits level with 25psi in the passenger side and 40psi in the drivers side FWIW. I understand it's normal for the FWC to be heavier on the left side due to the appliances and such. My air bag results would support that.
I heard the Tacos have a slight driver side lean. Do you find that with the Tundra as well? I'm hoping my mileage isn't affected to terribly. It has not been as good as I was hoping but I hear that once the motor is broken in it should increase. I have just under 40k on my truck right now.

The Tundra's don't lean while empty, that I've noticed. Just with the FWC on there. You got me thinking and I had to go out and double check:

gallery_2969_423_242994.jpg

It's 40 drivers side and 25 passengers side so it does make sense with all the appliances, furnace, sink, HWH, propane tanks, etc mounted on that side.

Hey, I bet you're getting excited to get it mounted and it sounds like it'll be pretty soon!!!

Back
Top Bottom