Pulling a trailer while carrying a FWC

We are now towing a little Suzuki Samurai.....sometimes to the desert to explore or as a dinghy to go to the store or our favorite swimming hole if we are camping in one spot for 2-7 days and don't want to break camp to buy provisions. ;)

gallery_2684_908_366057.jpg

Downside is speed. Can't drive over 60 mph. Upside get better gas milege (14.6 avg) . Sometimes we tow a small trailer if we are going camping with extended family and need to haul extra tents, chairs, coolers, barbecue, bikes, etc.

We were surprised at how well the V6 handles the additional weight up and down hills. Tacoma is rated to tow 6500 pounds with trailer towing package. We don't even know the little 2100 pound Samarai is back there.

I have a 2001 Hawk that sits on a 2006 Nissan Titan 4x4 king cab and I pull a Ranger 519 Bass boat

Good thread. I've been thinking about getting a small motorcycle trailer for my recent purchase of a Yamaha TW200. I'm thinking if it is on the trailer hitch carrier it will be too much weight on the truck. Towing would be a great option. Can even load some gear on the moto trailer. Not sure if a cheap HF trailer will make it places I like to go.

100acrehuphalump said:
Do you think pulling a small trailer would help with the drag created by just having a flat backed vehicle without a trailer?
My milage drops from 15 to 12 when I pull my trailer. Mine is 14 foot and never has more than about 600 pounds on it.

Im going to need more water & more gas for week plus adventures. Motorcycle and 2 bikes are in the mix also.

Does anyone know of a company who builds custom trailers like this?

Attachments

• 4b8ba6ef-ba15-6801.jpg
    4b8ba6ef-ba15-6801.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 248
There are many companies that are now making off road trailers. Manley ORV, Adventure Trailers, and a few more. If you're good at fabrication and welding you could always build one from just about any trailer chassis. Many start with one like my 1967 military jeep trailer, the M416, which I happen to be selling. Hint hint...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 271
Pulled this from outside of Twin Falls to Las Vegas for a friend during my trip south in March, Now get to fly to Vegas and go camping in it over memorial Day weekend up around Jacob Lake!
20150315_123351.jpg

dM-o8k_gP_cNwobl2NFfs1UBAO8O2HW_ZrluaDrMfNI=s192-p-no

I pull my Ranger 519 plus all my gear in my 2006 Nissan Titan

Attachments

• Truck and camper.jpg
    Truck and camper.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 227
I pull an 04 jeep rubicon . My truck is 2011 Dodge diesel. If you are looking for a great trailer find a small military jeep trailer.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
We have been known to pull a trailer, too. Actually, I would like to find a Ruger or similar adventure trailer, but the Airstream (aka The Desert Tortoise) is a good base camp.

attachicon.gif
The_Rig_DSC1093.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Hi. Any issues with pulling AS? We are thinking of doing same. Could I email you?

malimish said:
Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Hi. Any issues with pulling AS? We are thinking of doing same. Could I email you?
No significant issues. Visibility is reduced slightly, but not a problem.

I'll send you a PM with my cell number.

In the spring we tow our Jeep to Easter Jeep Safari in Moab Utah and in August the Sturgis Rally in South Dakota. During these events a basic motel room is inflated anywhere between $250 to $300 bucks a night. Now with the Hawk those criminal motel rates are a thing of the past for us.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 251
Back
Top Bottom