Pulling a trailer while carrying a FWC

Wallowa said:
If possible could folks who post list the vehicle they are towing with, the type of camper and the brand/model of the trailer.

1990 Ford F250 7.3 diesel -w- manual trans
FWC Grandby
7 x 8 homebuilt sideboard trailer, 3500lb axle on leaf springs -w- 15" rims

Don't pull it that often, but is very handy when the mission is gear intensive. Currently serving as a base to put the camper on I while spruce it up this winter.

I dislike trailering, but want to take my motorcycle with me (DR200)
I've been looking at my options and I like the hitch-mount rack, but don't know that I could load/unload on my own

Been reading this thread, but don't see make/model of your trailer often.

Any suggestions for a smaller, easy to back-up, easy to load trailer for relatively light-weight motorcycle - that is also decent off-road (think forest service trails)?

One of the joys of buying a trailer from Oregon is that small utility trailers don't require a title or license so when I brought mine to Washington and went to get a license I had to go to WSP and get an inspection and will have to wait three years as even with a bill of sale they say "ownership is in doubt", not a big deal as I was able to get a license for it and I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon. The brand on the registration it listed as Utility Box as that is stamped/embossed on the box but the serial number starts with IHC which I would have thought to be International Harvester, no matter it tows like a dream.

The Box is about 4'x6' and around 30" high. Lockable doors. The top has lash points and is plenty sturdy for strapping loaded coolers or maybe eventually adding Yakima racks. The back will get a receiver welded on one of these days for my SwingDaddy bike rack.

Because of the Grandby overhang on the Tundra bed I have always used an 18" hitch extended when towing but the tongue on this is long enough that it doesn't need the extended and tows/backs/turns just fine with no clearance issues.

Anyways enough blathering, pics of the trailer:

Front Compartment Passenger Side

Front Compartment Driver Side

Rear Doors, it used to belong to a ferrier. there is now a light shining on the plate for nighttime driving

Inside rear compartment, the stove and hood are headed south to a friend in Mesa who is restoring a vintage trailer and will replace the Avocado Green that the trailer came with.

First big trip with it is 5 weeks away, down the coast, to San Diego up to Death Valley, over to Red Rock on to Kanab then ??? maybe Valley of the Gods -> Moki Dugway ->Sinbad Country -> home.

hoyden said:
I've been looking at my options and I like the hitch-mount rack, but don't know that I could load/unload on my own

Any suggestions for a smaller, easy to back-up, easy to load trailer for relatively light-weight motorcycle?
I have a Kendon Stand-Up trailer to haul my F800GS and it's pretty low but still hard to load that heavy bike with just one person. Probably be OK for a DR200, though. Not much ground clearance so I wouldn't try taking the trailer off road.

Stalking Light said:
I have a Kendon Stand-Up trailer to haul my F800GS and it's pretty low but still hard to load that heavy bike with just one person. Probably be OK for a DR200, though. Not much ground clearance so I wouldn't try taking the trailer off road.
Thanks and good to know about low-clearance. I should have mentioned "off-road-able".... Edited my post :)
The DR is pretty light (under 300lbs), so light enough to roll up a low ramp, but most likely too heavy for me to lift onto a hitch mount.

hoyden said:

Any suggestions for a smaller, easy to back-up, easy to load trailer for relatively light-weight motorcycle - that is also decent off-road (think forest service trails)?
I also am planning on getting a motorcycle to take with me when I get my rig. I am looking at the Yamaha TW200. This carrier looks like it might be doable with one person which is all I plan to have:)

hoyden said:
Thanks and good to know about low-clearance. I should have mentioned "off-road-able".... Edited my post :)
The DR is pretty light (under 300lbs), so light enough to roll up a low ramp, but most likely too heavy for me to lift onto a hitch mount.
Adventure Trailers makes a nice off road flatbed trailer, but I doubt I could get my bike up on it without a winch.

So here are pix of my trailer. It's a modified Military M416 1/4 ton jeep trailer. My truck doesn't even know it's there. It hauls all my extra gear for lengthy road trips that I don't want to overload my truck with and I've been in some pretty Hairy off road spots and it tracked very well. Here are a couple of early pix when I just had a topper and a roof top tent on the trailer. Then it's new look after I got my Hawk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom