Q for Stan@FWC

EdoHart

Grasshopper
I went to the Santa Barbara RV show and talked to Steven for a few minutes. Among other things, he showed me the new couch and I really like it. My questions are:
1) Will that fit in my 2000 hawk and can you ship me one, complete with new cushions? I realize I would need to build a cover for the underneath storage.
2) Even if yes to the first, how much would it cost to have mine retrofitted by FWC?
3) Does that come with a 2 cushion option for the horizontal portion? It might be more convenient to only have to move one, small cushion to gain access to the storage. I can see that it may be uncomfortable to have a seam in the middle of the bed, but I rarely use mine as a bed. I'm not sure which way I would go if there is a choice.

We have been getting a lot of the FWC owners inquiring about retrofitting their older couches lately. Our new couch seems like a really nice design, strong, simple -- we are happy with the way it turned out.

Just call our service dept. toll free if you would like a price quote

Ask for Service or Chicali ... 800-242-1442

You can e-mail him at chicali@fourwh.com

But, phone is the best way to get a hold of him (we keep him running out there)

The only disadvantage might be that it is a few inches narrower than the old couch models. I know my old Grandby couch was bigger and would sleep 2 adults. The new couch is just a little narrower. You can ask Chicali about sizing. They might have some flexibility on width ?

Attachments

• flip down couch #1.JPG
    flip down couch #1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 589
  • flip down couch #2.JPG
    flip down couch #2.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 594
  • flip down couch #3.JPG
    flip down couch #3.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 577
  • flip down couch #4.JPG
    flip down couch #4.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 595
I've got some pictures at home and if I get a chance tonight will post a few pictures.

Two metal end frames with the backrest connecting the two ends.

i am interested in this option as well...stan what about an old (93') ranger II? i have seen these new couches in person and they are sweet! thanks for the pics...didn't get the idea that it was 100% do-able form your last reply...what happens since they are a little shorter...is there a big gap in the end of the storage and the couch? and what about the price? i would give you guys a call but all out of cell minutes:( ! thanks again for letting us know!

I think its nice for sure, but considering how often I use that bed I couldn't see upgrading. Besides, I hate stepping over someone in the middle of the night when I need to pee:)

Hi Ed,

I'll throw a few more pictures in..........................2007 FWC Kestrel

Attachments

• couch1.jpg
    couch1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 465
  • couch3.jpg
    couch3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 453
  • couch5.jpg
    couch5.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 475
  • couch4.jpg
    couch4.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 448
And a few more..........

Attachments

• split1.jpg
    split1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 479
  • split2.jpg
    split2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 439
  • split3.jpg
    split3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 471
  • storage1.jpg
    storage1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 444
  • storage4.jpg
    storage4.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 464
Great pix Pat. It looks like that thing might not hold a heavy weight like me. Like Craig I think I'll keep the first floor vacant so I have a clear shot (?) to the Porta Potty. What I reall need to come up with is a better way up and down.

Stan,

I'm in the process of reworking my '98 Grandby. Anyway I could buy just the brackets? I need to make custom couch cushions anyway.

Rick

sure, they might be able to sell you the brackets only

again, the best person to call with retrofit questions and parts prices would be the service dept. here

the sales & service dept. are separate

thanks

FWC SERVICE PHONE # (ASK FOR CHICALI) 800-242-1442

I spoke w/Chicali today

According to Chicali, it means replacement of the existing couch. He quoted me $650 for parts and labor for my 2000 Hawk at their Woodland location.

I made an appointment

I spoke again with Chicali again, he says the new couch is a little taller than what I have now (hence more storage), so I went ahead and made an appointment for Friday morning. Now I just have to figure out where to field test it on the way home!

Hey Ed,

If you could take some before pictures and after. Pictures always tell a story that we need to see. Thanks

Before and after pictures

Will do with the before and after pictures. I'll get the before in the next few days, including a tape measure.

i would love to see those pics as well...really a nice unit/design. i only use the couch when i am not popping the top, quick rest, or somewhere i want to stay less conspicuous but it would be sweet to have that new couch! right on ed and don't forget to post the pics!

I like the new couch!

I'm glad I got the new couch. The old one had storage that was 17" Wide x 12" Deep and the new one is 15 1/2" Wide x 14" Deep, which gives me a little more storage. I opted for the opening for storing the port-a-pottie (the pictures from Stan and Patrick show it pretty well) even though I have yet to take it with me. It gives me more flexible storage options - I can keep some of my larger items in that hole, rather than in the main storage inside the seat. The old bed was 39" wide when deployed and the new one is 36" wide. It's amazing how much more standing room that extra 3" gives you. I now have 12" between the cabinet and the bed. I can actually put on my boots with relative easy while sitting on the deployed bed. Also, the brackets and mounting are very sturdy. Overall it's easier to get at my stuff under the couch and to deploy the bed and the entire unit in either configuration is sturdier.

The guys at FWC were very friendly and had the job done in 5 hours, just like Chicali had estimated, despite temperatures over 100 by the time they finished. I also met a nice couple taking delivery of a brand new Kestrel. We had time to chat and I gave them as many pointers as I could and told them about this site.

It's overcast today and the pictures I took of the new couch are dark and grainy, but it looks just like the other pictures. For comparison, I have included a few shots of the old couch (which I brought back with me - mainly for the cushions, which I'm sure I'll find a use for some day).

Attachments

• Old1.jpg
    Old1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Old2.jpg
    Old2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Old3.jpg
    Old3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 355

Back
Top Bottom