Randsburg Rally

camelracer

Contributors
At the last couple of rallies I’ve attended I mentioned that I would like to organize a rally in the Randsburg area. Well the time has come to either put up or shut up so I’ll be inviting any interested WTW members to join me on the weekend of October 15-16 for a weekend of camping and a historic desert tour.

For those of you not familiar with the area, Randsburg is a small desert mining / tourist town located in the Rand Mountains north east of Mojave. I have been hanging out in this area since the late 60’s and usually lead my 4x4 club on a run every year. There are many interesting things to see in the area relating to mining history.

My plan for the weekend is to set up a base camp in the Garlock Valley near Goler Heights. This is a large relatively flat area on a mesa overlooking Garlock Road which should be easy to find. A 2wd truck with decent ground clearance should do fine on the trails we will be driving. If anyone is not interested in the desert tour they are welcome to just hang out in camp.

On Saturday morning I plan on heading into the El Paso Mountains to visit Burro Schmidt’s tunnel, Bickel Camp, Last Chance Canyon, Bonanza Gulch, the Dutch Cleanser Mine and the Holy Ash Mine. We will then return to the base camp for a potluck dinner and refreshments around the camp fire.

Sunday will be a half day run to Randsburg. We will go to Government Peak which is the highest point in the Rand Mountains for a view of the Garlock fault, Yellow Aster mine and the tri-cities area of Red Mountain, Johannesburg and Randsburg. From there we will go down into Randsburg to wander around the town and maybe have a malt at the general store soda fountain. Baring unseen problems we should be done about noon.

If you are interested I would recommend you google these attractions to learn a little history of the area. The GPS coordinates for the base camp are N35 25.321 W117 44.907. The area for the base camp has plenty of room but parking is limited at some of the points of interest. It is also difficult to keep track of a large group so I would like to limit the number of vehicles on the trail to around 15. Hopefully we can double up if anyone has an extra seat. If you have a street legal off road toy bring it along.

If there is any interest I’ll put together a sign up list.

Dick

New area to explore for me. Hopefully work slows down by then and I can make it even if it is a long drive. Definitely a maybe for now.

October is a great time to do a desert trip. I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this thread and see if I can swing it when the day gets closer. Thanks for organizing this.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Put me on the list, It's on my calendar.
I might tow the Samurai in if there will be other "toys"
Jim,

I'll probably be heading out Thursday afternoon to do some recon runs and play on Friday. If you can swing it join me with your Sami.

Dick

Attendance List:
  1. Camel racer Yes extra seat
  2. craig333 Yes
  3. RC Pilot Jim Yes extra seat
  4. K6ON No
  5. GroovyDad maybe
  6. ETAV8R maybe
  7. Tuff Guy 62 no
  8. Marc maybe
  9. Gussie maybe
  10. Fish Bamboo maybe
  11. Terryhensley1 Yes

Hey Dick, yes I can make it Thursday. Assuming you will tow your Jeep in.
What about Sunday trip to the Astor mine.....Will you tow to Randsburg ? or leave your truck at Garlock area?

Today they told us we'll working 7 days through October. Hoping that changes as things get closer. Otoh maybe I can finally afford new tires for the Jeep :)

RC Pilot Jim said:
Hey Dick, yes I can make it Thursday. Assuming you will tow your Jeep in.
What about Sunday trip to the Astor mine.....Will you tow to Randsburg ? or leave your truck at Garlock area?
Jim,

I'll be leaving the truck /camper at the Garlock base camp for the whole weekend. Can't make any promises about security but we've been doing this for many years without any problems.

Dick

Ok Dick. It will probably be easier to 'base camp" and navigate with smaller vehicles. My "Sami" has one extra seat and room in back for the beer and sandwiches. With my 65 hp motor I'm not to fast if we drive much freeways between off-road though.

Radios
I assume we bring 2 way radios for communication. If you don't have one (pair) Go to Costco and purchase "Motorola Talkabout " 2-way radios - $69,99 comes with case. Bring extra Duracell AA batteries as the rechargeable ones are old and may fail (one of my two did).

Gussie said:
if the guy is still hand-mixing sodas in the Randsburg General Store, it'll be worth it.
Ahhhh.. Cherry Phosphates, yum, although... limit one per day, no matter how good they taste going down, you don't really want too much of a good thing going back up.

Or, have them make you a banana milk shale, double yum. No restrictions.

Can't say if I'll be there... too many variables at this time.
However, I'll stay tuned to this thread.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Ok Dick. It will probably be easier to 'base camp" and navigate with smaller vehicles. My "Sami" has one extra seat and room in back for the beer and sandwiches. With my 65 hp motor I'm not to fast if we drive much freeways between off-road though.

Radios
I assume we bring 2 way radios for communication. If you don't have one (pair) Go to Costco and purchase "Motorola Talkabout " 2-way radios - $69,99 comes with case. Bring extra Duracell AA batteries as the rechargeable ones are old and may fail (one of my two did).
Jim,

I just got a GMRS/FRS radio that I'm trying to figure out. I'll also have a CB on board so I will be able to monitor both. Don't worry about freeway speed. There's less than 10 miles of 2 lane pavement between camp and the trailheads.

On the "to bring" list for everybody is firewood. There's a nice fire ring in camp for us to sit around in the evening and trade lies. This may be one of the last places in California where fires are allowed.

Dick

Gussie said:
Put me down as a definite maybe - that's a long drive for me, but if the guy is still hand-mixing sodas in the Randsburg General Store, it'll be worth it.
Gussie,

I just did that drive at the beginning of July. I left McCloud and had breakfast at Bartle's in the morning and dinner at the Garlock campsite. Long drive but it was beautiful. Hwy 395 is one of my favorite roads.

As of last November the soda fountain was still there and delicious.

Dick

Back
Top Bottom