Rear steps and racks

telebrewer

Advanced Member
Hi all, where can I buy the rear fold down steps for roof access?

Also, anyone know where to buy the Yakima track roof rack system for a good deal?

Thanks...

Craigslist is good if you want to buy used racks.

The Yakima "tracks only" and the Thule "Tracks Only" are universal as long as you have the right roof rack towers. We have installed both Yakima racks and also Thule racks on the same black "tracks".

E-Bay is good to see what is out there and some sample prices on what you might expect to pay.

It might be cheaper to buy the "tracks only" from REI or a local rack / truck accessory shop ??? Not sure what shipping cost would be for something that lenght.

We sell the rear walls steps here. Our service / parts department can get you a price on those if you like.

FWC service = (800) 242-1442.

here is a sample link for the rear steps. I'm sure there are many places that sell them. Just watch out for the "cheap" stainless steps that are made in China. They can rust pretty quickley. We use the "zinc coated" version here and they hold up pretty well. But even those will rust from time to time near the ocean if the coasting is not all that great on a particular step.

http://www.truckntow.com/pc-10509-147098-stainless-steel-folding-stepgrab-handle-combo.aspx

====================================================

Hi all, where can I buy the rear fold down steps for roof access?

Also, anyone know where to buy the Yakima track roof rack system for a good deal?

Thanks...

Beware of the steps from Truck-n-Tow. I bought some for my install about 3 months ago and I'm already seeing hints of rust in some places where the stainless coating is not so good. I've been contemplating contacting them and sending them back. Keep in mind, I live on the beach so salt air and rust are a major problem for any metal here, not sure where you are located. Otherwise, they work great.

When I bought mine I also noticed they had these black ones for much cheaper, but doubt they'd last long in my environment. Might work for you though.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330977_200330977

I found using the term "folding grab step" in Google worked best. You'll find them from a handful of vendors.

This one appears to be zinc coated, wish I tried this one now: http://www.gemplers.com/product/BA6/Folding-Grab-Handle

Stan,
Where do you guys buy yours from?

I'm disappointed to report that the rear wall steps that FWC sells will no longer open a bottle of bear.

I'm disappointed to report that the rear wall steps that FWC sells will no longer open a bottle of bear.

Good gawd, what is this world coming to??

Not sure how this would work as a step..

I thought bear came in twist off.. :)

Attachments

• DSCN2028.jpg
    DSCN2028.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 493
I'm confused!

D.D. heard of a can of worms,but never a bottle of bear!
T.T.you better be careful twisting a bear,it might cause problems!
I drink out of cans now so i do not have to remember to carry opener.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

I could use one of them openers. Stan?

I don't recommend twisting a bear.

I just picked up a set at Nothern tool for $7.00 piece black ones

does anyone have any suggestions on different placement of the steps other than where the factory installs them? I have just joined and am putting together my needs for my first camper!! I will probably be asking loads more questions so thanks in advance to this forum!
John
oh and whats the difference between the ATC and FWC? (kidding)

Steps

I suppose you could put the steps anywhere you want. The factory puts them where they connect to the frame of the camper, probably a good idea if you want to use them for steps. If you do install a set of steps, have a good stud finder handy, because you're not going to be too happy if you miss the mounting spot. Have fun, but ask a lot of questions before you start drillin' and cuttin' on one of these campers.

Omg, I saw that and I can't believe I don't have one. I didn't even finish reading this thread before I went to ebay and bought one. I can sleep easy now.

I've seen the steps on the sides in the back corner which I thought would work well. Also think about which foot you would step up first if you stagger them on the back so you don't find yourself cross legged every time you try & climb up. Most importantly, don't put them in a spot where they will punch a hole in the door as you open it if you forget to fold the step up first - trust me on this:mad:

I thought placement of steps from factory was not the best, until I started to use them. They work pretty well as is, think hard about what foot your starting with though, it may not be as obvious as you think.

I also find that I use the stair nearest the open door as a handle more than I use the installed handle. They are also great for hanging things from.

Some things are not worth skimping on. I figure how hard would it be to replace the part if the cheaper one doesn't work out, and what are the consequences of it breaking. I think the folding steps would be worthy of not skimping on (imagine one breaking while your standing on it), along with any plumbing part, house or camper.

Being a plumber I say amen to the part about not skimping an price - especially on the house plumbing - although now that I think about it that's what keeps me in business LOL:D

Barely Bear

Oh ye of little faith. Bear beer, Bear vodka and of course bare beer

Attachments

• grizzley.jpg
    grizzley.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 229
  • oso negro vodka.jpg
    oso negro vodka.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 243
  • nude-women-drinking-beer.jpg
    nude-women-drinking-beer.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 235