Rear Steps

I was using the Harbor Freight foot stool on unlevel ground, got in a hurry and went out of the camper frontwards instead of backwards, then stepped on the outside edge of the stool which was facing downhill, it tipped forward causing me to lose my footing and hit the bottom of the door jamb,Ouch! My fault for being careless but thought it worth a heads up. Also I did have the stool with the long side facing the camper, much less stable than with the short side facing the camper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/step-stoolworking-platform-62515.html

Dagwood said:
I have the TorkLift GlowSteps on my 2014 Hawk. They're super easy to install and use. Very stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Dagwood,
How did you mount your GlowSteps? The Torklift site shows them drilling holes and bolting on a mounting bracket. My Nissan Frontier has a step built into the bumper and it doesn't look like it would work.

Thanks

Mike

strayDog said:
I was using the Harbor Freight foot stool on unlevel ground, got in a hurry and went out of the camper frontwards instead of backwards
There is a sign on the BC ferry that reads... "Face the front or face the consequences".

I always says this to my GF when she comes out of the camper in the dangerous direction :)

I hope you didn't hurt yourself.

Santiam Camper said:
Dagwood,
How did you mount your GlowSteps? The Torklift site shows them drilling holes and bolting on a mounting bracket. My Nissan Frontier has a step built into the bumper and it doesn't look like it would work.

Thanks

Mike
Mike I have glowsteps on my 2015 Hawk and my truck is a 2009 Superduty. The step mount uses lag screws into the floorboard below the camper door was easy install and has been rock solid.

Attachments

• glowsteps.jpg
    glowsteps.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 277
Santiam Camper,
Be careful when mounting there on the Frontier. We had mounted a drop down bicycle carrier using the ball mount hole in our Frontier bumper and a LEO decided it obstructed the license plate enough to warrant a ticket. That was with only the 4" pivot section installed.

We're also in Oregon.
Paul

I modified the Brophy step to flip up and over when not in use and held in place with a spring loaded catch. The original idea was from Bosque Bill. I had a scissors style step, but you must be on very level ground for them to work and they will dig into the dirt as well.

cwd

Attachments

• P1020832.JPG
    P1020832.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 277
  • P1020833.JPG
    P1020833.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 268
  • P1020834.JPG
    P1020834.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 312
cwdtmmrs said:
I modified the Brophy step to flip up and over when not in use and held in place with a spring loaded catch. The original idea was from Bosque Bill. I had a scissors style step, but you must be on very level ground for them to work and they will dig into the dirt as well.

cwd
Nice work!

cwdtmmrs said:

cwd
I have the 4 step brophy its important to level or shim the lower step on uneven ground ask me how I know. The top of the bracket popped up a 1/4" past the door one nite and there was no way to open it. glad there wasn't video of me escaping through the emergency exit in my skivies!

cwdtmmrs said:

cwd
What did you have to modify? I like that this solution looks to provide more clearance in the rear than many others.

I was afraid people would ask. Not an easy modification. Start with the Brophy 2 step. Cut the bottom step and bracket off and then cut the step off of the removed bracket. Discard the removed bracket. Figure needed geometry and bend new lower bracket from 2" x 1/2" steel and weld tube on for hinge pin. Weld removed step onto new bracket. I wanted to use step in up or down position so I made another diamond plate and welded it to the original step, kinda like a tube. Weld tabs onto receiver tube for hinge pin. Weld modified spring loaded pin gate catch on upper bracket and mating tab onto lower bracket for pin to lock. Hinge pin is 1/2 SS bolt with nylock nut. Install rubber bumpers onto upper step for no clanging when folded Powder coat with semi gloss black wrinkle finish. Attach with locking anti rattle hitch pin. There you have it!

These steps are the perfect height for my rig and when fold the license plate is still fully visible. They are rock solid with the anti-rattle hitch pin with zero rocking side-to side.

I couldn't find anything like this available and thought about producing them commercially, but didn't think the demand would be that great. Wouldn't be inexpensive either.

cwd

cwdtmmrs said:
I was afraid people would ask. Not an easy modification.
Nice work! Wish I had the tools and skills to make that happen.

Santiam Camper said:
Dagwood,

Thanks

Mike
Mike,
The Fleet will hang just to the end of the bumper so the step in the bumper will be under the camper and not too useful.
Josh

Back
Top Bottom