Reborn Hawk..

Hey Brandon

Just sent you an e-mail.

Yes, we are burried alive & freaking out right now.

:eek:

Steve & myself were gone for over 2 weeks for trade shows.

A bad decesion. I hope we won't be doing that again.

Came back to 80 e-mails, 40 phone messages, phone riging off the hook, and the owner of the company hiding in a corner beacuse he got "worked over" while his 2 sales guys were gone (laughs).

We are trying to get un-burried as we speak.

Hang in there. We should be caught up again in a week or so, I hope, I hope !

I guess the recession is over.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've left messages with both AT and FW and neither one got back to me - guess they are busy! I'll get ahold of them eventually but a bit disappointed neither one got back to me. Looking for where to get the replacement pop up material..

Brandon,
These guys have everything and just might have it already cut to size.
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/products.html

that's just fabric right? In other words no windows?

Stan,
Glad your busy and recession is over for you, some of us are still hurting :oops:

F U Arny :mad:

unfortunately not much of an update and I haven't been here for a while. Excited to catch up on all the rebuild threads for ideas!

I work out of town and long days (Engineer aka project manager for all caltrans jobs around south lake tahoe down 50 and over to auburn).

Anyway, I did get a new floor and the lower sides..

I figured since the wood was rotten I have no desire to put wood back. I also was not impressed with the material used for the upper bed, stiffening with wood doesn't quite do it for me (did I mention I am an engineer) :p

This is an upside down picture of where the floor meets the sides at the bottom. All aluminum, sides are bent with 3 bends to wrap around the bottom and side for support.
gallery_2255_197_184258.jpg

Here is the material to be used for the bed, I will extend it out to a full 4' as well.
gallery_2255_197_130849.jpg

and a full pic, if I just had ONE day I'd have it usable :(
gallery_2255_197_501836.jpg

Because I have a small double cab truck I decided to stretch the camper to 7' (end of the tailgate) and maximize the space. It will start out bare bones and I will add what I need as I need it. I see dimple dies in the future :D

I am thinking of changing the name to the mans camper ;) :cool:

This is a build I will follow. Great work, keep the pictures coming. I showed the wife the post when your hawk was a pick and pull and she was happy I had found a near new used one (I would have had to drive up to pick and pull). What do you have planed for the inside? I did the dinette and love it.

Bill in STockton

Hi,
As Mark suggests on page 2, I was one of the folks who created prototypes before building the insides of my newly purchased shell. I built cabinets, etc. out of cheap wood and believe me it was very helpful in determining how things would fit and how it would look before I spent money on more expensive materials. I do recommend this approach. Keep up the great work! Chris

Attachments

• spacial relation1.JPG
    spacial relation1.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 266
  • FWC prototyhpe.jpg
    FWC prototyhpe.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 258
Hi Brandon. Good to see you working on the camper again. I think the aluminum is a good idea light and strong with no rot problems. Keep working. May be we will see you at the folks house soon.

Frank

This is a build I will follow. Great work, keep the pictures coming. I showed the wife the post when your hawk was a pick and pull and she was happy I had found a near new used one (I would have had to drive up to pick and pull). What do you have planed for the inside? I did the dinette and love it.

Bill in STockton

Thanks Bill, plans are "modular." I have two kids and two dogs so maximizing space is priority 1. I have ideas but I'll play with it once it is actually enclosed. It's an old school hawk, I dig the old windows and will be keeping those :cool:

anyone know where I can get an old style window for the front of my camper (the part that sits next to the cab)?

Hunting craigslist but looking for other ideas..

also looking at roof vents, thoughts on this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200465419698&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT ?

I'll have to look it up..

between fillin the kids pool and honey do's I managed to sneak in the top rail.

gallery_2255_197_274062.jpg

not completely finished but looking to sell :(

Still going to finish it but if anyone is looking, I lengthened the upper bed, made the lower "step" a bit bigger, and extended the whole camper 18".

I am very happy with it, stout welded frame, etc.

Truck is like new, would make a perfect package..

gallery_2255_197_29085.jpg

other side

Attachments

• 41055_1413612855032_1073861600_30990345_7513787_n.jpg
    41055_1413612855032_1073861600_30990345_7513787_n.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 482
It looks like you do nice work !

I like your creativity of using the smooth aluminum sides.

:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

other side

Thanks Stan! I need to take off the headliner etc to see how that top works, since I need to extend it about 18" or start from scratch, then attach the top. Once that's done the work is internal and it is more/less finally usable :) As far as the sides I did find a place in town that sells all the RV type siding but blue collar is much closer and cheaper, figured I'd give it a shot.

Plans for the inside are insulation and some sort of fabric covering to sort of add warmth to an all metal pop up.

Any updates on your rebuild? Did you end up selling it? I just registered here to send this message to find out!

top extended, truck sold. Camper just sitting until I get another truck :(

I'll post some pics eventually, covered with a tarp right now...

5 bills to the first person that takes my project away :(

Super light, all aluminum ready to finish. Needs popup material and hinges, and interior...

Back
Top Bottom