Reflectix insulation

We don't keep the camper at 70F at night, but we don't let it get real cold either. We camp with 2 cats, and mine isn't smart enough to get under the sleeping bag. When he gets too cold he lays on top of my legs and then I don't get any sleep. We tried using our Wave6 in the camper to get rid of the noisy furnace fan waking us up, but even on low, and outside temps in the mid 30's it's too much. We will try it again this winter in the snow, but I think it will still be too big. Can you regulate your Wave3 low enough not to cook you out?

John

I'm guessing not too many WTW types relax in such balmy conditions!.

But that is good information, thanks, and seems like the reflectix is doing a great job. One thing I found in my 98 Grandby was the open port for cold air to infiltrate around the furnace when it is not blowing. I solved that by removing the heater and using the Wave 3.

I keep mine pretty warm, for the baby and all... :D (Man is it nice to lounge around in a t-shirt and shorts while 'camping')

We just spent the night in ours with all the newly added reflectix and it stayed warmer with less heater cycling. We also added carpet over the linoleum - which probably didn't do anything for the temps but the 'feeling' of warmth from the floor was much better.

I plan to build a reflectix arctic pack soon and test it out. I hope my results as as positive.

We don't keep the camper at 70F at night, but we don't let it get real cold either. We camp with 2 cats, and mine isn't smart enough to get under the sleeping bag. When he gets too cold he lays on top of my legs and then I don't get any sleep. We tried using our Wave6 in the camper to get rid of the noisy furnace fan waking us up, but even on low, and outside temps in the mid 30's it's too much. We will try it again this winter in the snow, but I think it will still be too big. Can you regulate your Wave3 low enough not to cook you out?

John

Ah, it is the cats that are driving these mods! I keep mine warmer because one of my dogs doesn't have a lot of fur. The Wave 3 on low has been good for cool nights, keeping it warmer than I would have had it on the main heater. When the outside temps got to freezing it was still fine and only when I'd wake up in the AM I put it on high at all. Sounds like the Wave 3 was the right choice for our little houses. Not sure how it will do when the temps hit the teens but I think it will still keep it OK and the reflective side panels would be a big help them. I will be using the Wave 3 in my KZ Rockclimber toyhauler that is basically a 21' travel trailer with an 8x8' cargo rack. I think it will be enough to keep the chill out but when it gets cold I can crack on the 20,000 btu furnace.

How do you all attach the reflectix to the 'hard parts'? double stick tape? liquid nails? staples? spray adhesive?

Has anyone attached it to the inside of their roof - like a headliner?

I usually use spray adhesive. Never thought about the headliner but if I did I'd think about little pieces of velcro, that's what I use on the windows (makes great privacy "curtains" that easily go on and off.

Lighthawk (or anyone else who's used Reflectix this way) - So you lined the soft-sides of the pop-up? How did that work out, heat-retaining-wise? Did it make a noticeable difference, you think?
More-detail question: Are you keeping it rolled up most of the time then putting in place (with the Velcro) as needed at night (or whenever) then re-rolling? Does it seem durable enough to withstand this kind of repeated handling?

Hey Mark, never saw this question, so forgive me if this is a late response :unsure:

We have used our two rolls of reflectix with self-adhesive velcro tabs for nearly a year now. It's only on our summer outings that we don't bring the extra insulation. Another poster down-thread did some scientific ;) study showing nearly a 40F benefit using reflectix vs. nothing. On one trip last year I could feel a thin layer of ice behind the reflectix and yet the face was warm to the touch.

As far as durability goes, this stuff is tough! We have a right and left side roll that laps onto the wood panels at each end. Two rolls keeps it from being two bulky. I can stow them behind out couch on the Hawk while traveling. It takes less than three minutes to deploy or roll up. After using the system maybe twenty times it's barely scuffed, so I think we will get years of usage.

I guess I could sew the velcro to the foam, or use some other means of adhesion.

The stuff is so light I just used self-adhesive velco tabs about every two feet. I stuck a few pieces on the lifter boards to terminate each roll. Over the bed I overlapped the two rolls (notching around the push board) for a toasty bed-cave. :D

And/or experience with using Reflectix (or closed-cell foam) to insulate the inside of the soft-sides?
Thanks. :)

Hey Mark, never saw this question, so forgive me if this is a late response :unsure:

This past winter -- before my mostly-annual Xmas-NewYears trip to winter-frigid Great Basin N.P., -- I went ahead and did the same thing you did, on the left/right soft-sides. Yes, it does seem to be working -- it's warmer. :)
In my case, it remains to be seen if the self-adhesive velcro that I stuck to the Reflectix will continue to stick...I've already had the adhesive start to detach a little from the force of peeling the Veclro off the mating Velcro.

But, all-in-all, this is a great approach: It keeps the camper warmer, the Reflectix seems durable, and the Reflectix is very light and stowable. And it's cheap! Even if it wasn't durable, replacement would be a minor cost compared to even one tank-full of truck-fuel. :D

Thanks to all who suggested Reflectix!

This past winter -- before my mostly-annual Xmas-NewYears trip to winter-frigid Great Basin N.P., -- I went ahead and did the same thing you did, on the left/right soft-sides. Yes, it does seem to be working -- it's warmer.
smile.gif

In my case, it remains to be seen if the self-adhesive velcro that I stuck to the Reflectix will continue to stick...I've already had the adhesive start to detach a little from the force of peeling the Veclro off the mating Velcro.

But, all-in-all, this is a great approach: It keeps the camper warmer, the Reflectix seems durable, and the Reflectix is very light and stowable. And it's cheap! Even if it wasn't durable, replacement would be a minor cost compared to even one tank-full of truck-fuel.
biggrin.gif

Thanks to all who suggested Reflectix!

Just thought I'd add my experiences on the subject...I used my rig in cold temps quite a bit this winter and using my Wave 3 on high I was able to keep the ambient camper temp in the upper 50's to low 60's while camping in the teens and twenties. This is only using reflectix on the soft side walls, I imagine if I cut some smaller pieces for the window and door I could significantly raise the temps but that is not necesary for us. Refelctix has been one of the best and cheapest mods I have probably made on my camper, wish I could remember who the original genius was that came up with the concept.

I had a problem with the self adhesive velcro coming off and found that I could run it through my sewing machine. Since then no problem.

I had a problem with the self adhesive velcro coming off and found that I could run it through my sewing machine. Since then no problem.

I think I'll try this. :)

Bill,
How about a pic of that mod?

I think I'll try this. :)

FYI: Do not use your wifes good sewing machine and expensive needles... The glue on the adhesive velcro comes off on the needle and gums everything up - ask me how I know. DOH!!

But if you start with the sew on velco it works much better.

I've used the real industrial 3M velco (yellow and black industrial looking box even) and it stays stuck.

A bit back there was a post about sticking it to hard surfaces, I assume more or less permanently since spray adhesive was mentioned. I bought a can of headliner adhesive from my local auto upholsterer (Mac's on Thompson for you 9300X natives) and used that to adhere the Reflectix to the underside on my old Suburban's roof. Had Mac's redo the headliner and put the Reflectix in place at the same time. As others have noted it made large difference in interior temps (black vehicle = black roof = DOH!), but what surprised me was the impact that it had on interior noise too. Front to back seat conversations were now possible, whereas before they were strained. I plan to use it again on the underside of the FJ60's roof when I get to that point.

If you don't care about appearances, you can use staples. I lined the exterior plywood sides of my Hawk with reflectix using my Bostich hammer-tacker. I cut flaps for the turnbuckle access ports.

Again Prodex is just a Reflective on steroids..the Reflective "bubble wrap" insulation has a very low R rating and not surprisingly the thicker 'bubble wrap" of Prodex has a high R factor [16]....both have a radiant heat reflective surface but only one has a high R factor.

Not magic...the thickest, best non-conductive material produces the highest degree of insulation.

I plan to use 2" DOW when we get our Hawk and hopefully apply it to the outside of the FWC 'box/tub' to retain heat in the camper. Could put inside but that greatly reduces the internal volume already occupied by plumbing and appliances + it reduces any potential storage areas. May need to put additional insulation on the inside of the camper above the box/tub.

Phil

CWD...good point...I did not see the thickness of Prodex...hence either the R16 is erroneous or the 5/16 of polyethylene is one hell of an insulator!

I also do not know what Reflective is using for an insulator but it's R rating is very low.

Still back to my 2" DOW...unless this Prodex R rating is as advertised. My concerning is all about conductive heat loss and not the minor amount of internal radiant heat loss..or for that matter convective heat loss.

There has got to be a way to simply do what is needed to lessen heat loss from the camper.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom