Relocating Batteries in New Grandby SC

camper rich

We will be installing our new Grandby on our Dodge 2500 shortbed truck. Not sure why FWC put the batteries at the rear of the camper, but for us it means they will be on the tailgate. We are thinking we would like to move them up under the front dinette seat to get all that weight forward of the axle. We will be using 2 AGM golf cart batteries so ventilation will not be a problem. Since we don't have the camper yet to see exactly what we will be dealing with, can anyone give us any insight as to what we will need to do.

It seems like it should be a pretty straighforward job of just running new wires connected up to the originals and installing battery tiedowns under the seat. I wanted to put 1 battery under each seat, but my wife wants them both under the same seat.

Put both under one seat to keep the wires short. Send pics when you can of where they are now and where you want to put them. Do you have an inverter? Lots of wiring considerations!

I did the same thing in my Fleet. The compartment where the batteries resided was at the very back. I wanted to move them for two reasons: Center-of-gravity and because I envisioned a better use for that compartment as food storage. The spaces under the front-dinette seats were accessible (by removing the cushions and raising panels) but much less so than the one at the rear, which has a door. Also, one of the two batteries wasn't particularly accessible in the original compartment. I put the batteries at the very front under the seats, just behind the water tank, one on each side. The spaces under the seats were just a little too narrow (< 1") for the batteries, so I had to re-do the cabinetry. While I was at it, I installed grills for ventilation -- not for venting of gas (the batteries are sealed) but in case they warm up during heavy charging. I didn't do any engineering on this and don't know if the grills are neccesary. The CTEK charge controller also resides in the compartment under the drivers-side seat, with appropriate vent grills. There is some other electrical stuff in there: more fuses, CPAP power supply, ground bar, etc. The wires to the far-side battery are much longer, so they are larger (4 AWG vs 8 AWG). There is still some storage space under the seats.

This was a huge project but most of the wiring involved stuff I would have done anyway. While I had it all apart, I removed the front plywood panel and cut a slot for viewing the water level in the tank. I'm happy with the way it all came out and would recommend doing it, with the caution that it is a big project and involves wood-work that shows.

This has been on my list to do with my grandby for a while now. The batteries fit under the seat no problem and running the wire looks easy. I think you may need to make something to protect the back of the switches that are in the battery compartment and something to keep things from interfering with the power convertor. I plan on putting both batteries under the passenger side seat with a protective cover above the batteries to keep anything stored under the seat with them from getting across the terminals. I wonder if it would be wise to fuse the batteries since the wire will be much longer and fished through storage compartments? I think the battery compartment would make a good pantry with a couple shelves.

Check out the ABYC wiring standards. Blue Sea provides products in compliance and FWC uses Blue Sea electrical products.
Here's one example of fusing the battery. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_fusing

Search for (ABYC battery fusing) and you will find a lot of info. Generally, recommendation is to provide a fuse within 7 inches of the battery post unless the cable is insulated and within a conduit or similar protective shield. The camper batteries aren't supplying engine starting current like the example.

Paul

Yes, I forgot to mention the aluminum cover I had to install behind the light switches in compartment where the batteries originally resided. I also installed aluminum covers above the batteries, to keep stored stuff off of them.

You should definitely fuse the battery wire at each battery, for the reasons you mentioned, but also, and more importantly, to protect against a shorted cell. With batteries connected in parallel, if a bad cell in one battery shorts out, a large current can flow between the batteries, possibly enough to melt wires or start a fire. There should at least be a fuse at one terminal of one battery, but why not fuse them both? For bolt-terminal (as opposed to the post type) batteries you can get a nifty fuse-holder that bolts right on. I think Blue Sea makes it. I used 50 Amp fuses.

Thanks for all the info. We won't get the new Grandby until mid December so I'll have to see what it all looks like then. Maby we'll have to just do our Baja trip with the batteries in the rear and do this project when we get back. It sounds more complicated than I originally thought.

Camper rich, from what has been posted by FWC and others, two batteries should be close together. The water tank should provide balance. After you see what you have, I think you will find the under seat storage to be valuable. I wouldn't tear things apart, my 2 cents worth. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Rather than start my own thread on this, I thought I would chime in with some pictures from today's efforts, so you can see how tight it might be to relocate your batteries up front

NICE big batteries!
full

Check it out... the batteries fit this way!
full

And this way!
full

That gap is 6"

full

But it is super tight on the other end. Is that enough room for the various hoses to attach?

full

Back
Top Bottom