Removing camper to dry out

BillTheHiker

I camp every summer in wet eastern USA and thinking it might be wise to annually remove camper and put it on a cradle for a week to dry the underside. Is this necessary?

I don't have Jacks so would need to buy or have my dealer, who is local, do it. Since I also don't have a cradle the dealer option may be best.

I camp 3 to 4 months in desert SW in winter so maybe that is enough to dry it out.

Camper sits on cross runners so air does circulate. Many leave them on full time. I took mine off and painted the cross runners just as preventative maintenance. You shouldn't have any worries. kd

I'd add to the comments that my bed actually has drain holes so I know my camper isn't sitting in a puddle.
I'd consider if you are using a bed mat or don't have good drainage to take a closer look that moisture isn't building up.

My camper is on Foamular in the truck bed all summer and the bottom is never wet when I take it off in the late fall. The one time I took it off after driving in the rain only the edges were wet.

Moisture meters are relatively inexpensive these days. If you're concerned about moisture build-up, I would recommend buying one off of Amazon and taking readings around the outside of the camper base through the access holes.

It's funny. I asked a similar question in the truck camper sub-forum of a Ford Truck forum, and everybody acted like I was talking Klingon. "A puddle of water in the bed? What are you talking about?"

Optimistic Paranoid said:
It's funny. I asked a similar question in the truck camper sub-forum of a Ford Truck forum, and everybody acted like I was talking Klingon. "A puddle of water in the bed? What are you talking about?"
Brother, they call it a hot tub.

Back
Top Bottom