Rendezvous...

Mark W. Ingalls

Contributors
Fellows,

Edna & I've not done very much off-roading heretofore, but many of the trip reports have whet our palettes.

How feasible would it be to plan a rendezvous at a given jumping-off point with some of you more experienced folks?

Fellows,

Edna & I've not done very much off-roading heretofore, but many of the trip reports have whet our palettes.

How feasible would it be to plan a rendezvous at a given jumping-off point with some of you more experienced folks?

What part of the west are you in and where did you have in mind?

We're in Houston, Brett.

We're thinking about Big Bend NP, the Baja Peninsula, OR, WA CO, MT, and Yellowstone, to name a few, plus we'd be open to any other places that would take us around a week to ten days to circuit.

We have a pretty stock 1998 F150 4X4.

We haven't been able to set aside any dates yet, but we plan to do some weekend trips in CO and at least one 5-day trip to southeast UT. SE UT is a great place to learn 4wd as we can always find trails for all abilities with great camping. The remoteness is fantastic too. We will probably go there in late October as the weather cools and the visitors become less (peak is late sept into mid-oct for fall visitors). In fact, once I have a date, I was going to announce it in case others wanted to join up. Usually, we we check the weather forecast a few days before leaving, then pick an area to explore. I was going to propose Grand Staircase Escalante, but let's play it by ear and see who else is interested. I am running stock right now also and don't have the experience a big vehicle and with the camper on, so my plan is to stick to trails I know are fun and slightly challenging, but not likely to cause any problems. Could be fun to have a group trip.

You guys are making me jealous. I'm having back surgery in Sept. It doesnt look like I'll be doing much for a few months after that. Oh well I do have the DirecTV football package.

You guys are making me jealous. I'm having back surgery in Sept. It doesnt look like I'll be doing much for a few months after that. Oh well I do have the DirecTV football package.

Good luck with that. We'll have a beer in your honor.

Back surgery...

Jay,
You are in my prayers and thoughts as well. Soldier on!
Brian

TY brother Brian,
I got to tell you that the level of concern and care on this site renews my faith in human nature.

Site.....rendezvous....

Jay and all,

I don't know about you all, but this site is the best forum I have ever been on. The mechanics of it are great (good job Dawg and whoever else may be involved) and the group is great. Other than a few off topic digresses,,(mostly my babblings), ....the folks are right there and incredibly creative/capable. I would really like to make a "rendezvous" some time with as many of you as possible in order to spend time in your company. It may take some doing to pull one off but as is done with my sidecar enthusiast friends, we can just come to a concensus as to a campground somewhere central to where the most folks live and have it be a simple event....no big deal....do a joint potluck dinner one night or a burger/dog roast and b.s. and kick tires for a day or two. I would rather it didn't center around a keg since we aren't drinking folks but what the hey, whatever you all want to do. I know if the timing is good for us, I would be willing to help to get it off the ground. Maybe the way to do it is to pick some other event and hold it at the same time so that folks could attend the other thing as well. I am thinking of something like the Chile Festival in Hatch, NM which is the same weekend of the Apple Festival in Hillsboro, NM just a few miles away or something in Moab, UT around some 4WD event or another. Who knows but most areas have something or other going on at various times.
More will be revealed if we keep batting it around.
Brian

Back
Top Bottom