Replace Air Bags or Not?

Ranger

I bought a 4WC Eagle on a 2002 Ford Ranger (Edge 4WD, 4.0, 6 cylinder) a few years ago. One of the air bags wouldn't inflate, now neither will. I took it in to see if it could be fixed and they suggested new shocks, too. The shop put the shocks on (Blistien 5100s) but couldn't repair the air bags and aren't sure they're still available for my truck. They're checking. The truck drives MUCH better, should I still get the air bags if they can find some? TIA

I don't believe shocks do anything to help carry the weight. I had firestone airlift airbags on our Ranger carrying an All Terrain Camper prior to installing custom rear leaf springs -

Ranger Air Bags

These are the only air bags (at the time) I found available for the Ranger. I would definitely replace the air bags. I would not have carried a camper on our Ranger with stock springs and no air bags.

I agree with Mr 3Pin. Either airbags or a spring pack matched to your camper weight. On my 2007 Ranger, I used Air Lift bags with my ATC Bobcat.

The advice I have been given by several suspension professionals:

Best solution for a better ride and handling more (or less) weight is springs. For better ride softer or even stiffer as appropriate to load and driving conditions. Redesigned spring pack (beefier springs/more leaves) for increased weight capacity, again as needed After that airbags for leveling the truck and adjusting the ride, particularly when the vehicle carries highly variable loads (camper on vs camper off).

Shocks are for controlling bounce/rebound.

Consider the consequences of a failed airbag if you take your vehicle off-road and to remote locations. Will it still be drivable even if at much lower speeds? That consideration is particularly important for those who do away with springs and just use airbags (I wouldn't do it but some people do).

I decided to replace the springs on our truck with custom made Deaver Springs to achieve a little bit better ride of the stock springs as well as handle a bit more weight. I also raised the truck 2" front and rear which seems to have made steering a bit less tight.

All of these changes have consequences, some intended and some unintended or unanticipated.

I found the original steering box hd too much play in it after the springs were replaced and the truck was raised so I replaced the steering gear with a Blue Top steering box (a former Red Head employee started the company as a competitor to Rehead). The new steering box has less play than the old worn out steering box (which had just over 400,000 miles on it) but more play than when the OEM steering box was new (and up to around 200,000 miles). I'm not so happy with the Blue Top steering box but it is within spec. It seems raising the truck made it a bit more sensitive to the small amount of steering box play. It is not unsafe but it does not steer like it is running on rails like it did up to about 200,000 miles. Note: I Previously replaced the tie rod ends and king pins.

I hope this is helpful.

Craig

Another option is adding Super Springs

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9353&zenid=5e4e78abb8a6b79a5af74d0b3a2068a8

They don't cost that much and really help with any loads. I have had them one three different trucks now with excellent results. I also have air bags and Bilsteins. When FWC set my camper on, the truck sat level and easily carried the load without inflating the bags. This was important to me because in the event that I punctured a bag, the truck would still handle the camper. I use the bags to even out the weight of the camper (driver side is heavier) and to compensate for extra weight of gear and water when camping. Also bags help me level the truck while parked on uneven terrain.

Any suspension mods will make a remarkable difference in the handling of your truck compared to stock. I personally like the security of the " belt AND suspenders" approach of springs and bags.

To answer your original question of Replace air bags or not? I would opt for a yes.

used airbags on a 2005 Tundra and Ocelot camper (plus a sway bar) and it worked well. Did go flat at one point and cost $125 to fix. Used a spring pack on the 21 Tundra and Cougar and feel it is better since no worries about losing air and it rides very well. Camper is on full time so that may make a difference for you

dennis 221 said:
GoTimbren
I had airbags on my 1998 Dodge Dakota w/Ranger II shell. They were a PITA because they were always leaking. I replaced them with stiffer springs, but then the truck road like a 3/4 ton without the camper on. When I bought our 2008 Dodge 2500 I was going to put on a set of Firstone Air Bags, but the salesman at the spring shop talked me into Timbrens. When the truck is unloaded they ride off the axle, but loaded with the camper the truck rides level. Once I installed them, I have never had a problem with them. A few years ago I almost rolled my truck and camper in Baja and I credit the Timbrens with helping me regain control of it as I was steering side to side after dropping the RF tire off the pavement.

Does the camper live on the truck, or get put on and taken off as needed?

If it lives on the truck I'd change the springs per Craig's post above. Deaver is good, but they're in the greater LA area. Alcan Spring is also good and they're in old town Grand Junction, which should make it a bit easier on you.

If the camper is on and off as needed then I'd replace the air spring.

I use SumoSprings. I also have Bilstein 5160 on the back and 6112 on the front of my '08 Tundra. No issues, don't even think about it, great ride with and without 1,000 lb camper. Probably work well on a smaller truck like the Ranger or Tacoma. If I left the camper on all the time I might try a leaf pack but the SumoSpring set-up with heavy duty shocks/struts works fine.

Same here on SumoSprings. We use the black ones. When the camper is off our truck (rarely), there's a gap and so the SumoSprings aren't taking any load. I like that they can't leak.

After buying my FWC Hawk new in 2005 I added Supersprings to my 2005 Tundra 4x4 Access Cab. They helped with sway but the ride tended to be bouncier. When the camper was off there was substantially more bounce. After a while I removed the Supersprings and installed an AirLift air bag kit. Was much better. Significantly improved sway on curves, felt more stable, and had less bounce. Also could adjust down when camper is off truck. After about 15 years have a small air leak on one side that I will need to track down.

Based upon my experience highly recommend.

Back
Top Bottom