Replace factory roof solar wiring

Helmut

Advanced Member
Has anyone replaced the factory installed solar wiring coming from the roof - behind the folding panel - to the sink? What problems will I run into, trying to do so? My camper (2017 Grandby) has #12 wiring.

Any reason to replace it? How much of it did you want to replace? Only tricky bit might be in the ceiling penetration. I just wired my Puma up and used 10g wire.

The reason I am thinking about replacing the existing 12 gauge wire with at least 10 gauge is a overheated butt connection behind the folding panel. I would also like to replace the existing spliced wire with a one piece. The vinyl already has two burn spots and I don‘t want to imagine what can happen in worst case.

Helmut said:
The reason I am thinking about replacing the existing 12 gauge wire with at least 10 gauge is a overheated butt connection behind the folding panel. I would also like to replace the existing spliced wire with a one piece. The vinyl already has two burn spots and I don‘t want to imagine what can happen in worst case.
If the butt connection is getting hot something may be loose. Min you need to check the connection.

Helmut said:
how many watts of solar do you have on the roof?

Well I guess the butt connection has gone bad! Thats why I want to replace the spliced wire with a ONE piece and while doing it with a heavier gauge 10 (8) instead of 12. The original butt connection failed after 2.5 years on the road. Maybe the next time it will burn down my camper before I notice.

Hi Vic, at the moment 440watts. And with the original ZAMP controler, so I do get too much amps. The best so far I have seen was max 18. But now I am in equator area and I was observed 22amps. I know a mppt would be more efficient and solve my high amp problem, but beeing „on the road“ not so easy to change. So my thought is either pull trough a heavier wire or connect one of the panels to the rear entry port.

I've only got 330w on the roof, and was pulling in 280W yesterday, in Calgary, so not such a great sun angle as you. My 10g PV wiring was cool to the touch carrying 8 amps at 35 or so volts. The 8g wire going from the Victron 100/30 to the batteries was warm to the touch, and carrying 23A at the time. MPPT really is the way to go for minimizing heat and other losses in your wiring.

If you still want to swap out your wiring (I can only assume the wire has a butt splice in it because it was repaired at some point) I would say go ahead. You could try to cleanly solder the new wire to the old and see if you could pull it through the ceiling. I bet the wires go through small plastic grommets in holes in the roof framing, so that could be a show stopper.

Back
Top Bottom