Replacing 3-way Fridge in Hawk with compressor fridge?

Karlton

Hi all - the Dometic 3-way 3 cubic foot fridge in our 2017 Hawk works well in cooler temps, but down here in the Treasure Valley of ID, we need a compressor fridge.

I like the top loading models like a Dometic CFX3 35, but they are longer than the cabinet and would protrude out into the small space and the CFX2 25 is a bit small.

Thus, I'm looking for an energy efficient front open compressor fridge to replace the 3-way. Does anyone have a suggestion for a model? I've looked at Isotherms and they are a bit spendy, but that is what FWC uses. Any reports on these from the group?

How about the Dometic CRX 65T?

My current set-up is dual 72 amp hour batteries with a 100 watt Renogy solar panel.

Thanks for the assistance!

I've been reading and researching brands as I also want to replace my 3-way. Here a thread from earlier this year. https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/21537-refrigerator/?p=250684
You'll see in my post #12 in that thread that I was gravitating towards a Engel, but I decided that venting the heat into the interior in the summer was unacceptable to me. The only viable solution for fitting into the same space seems to be an Isotherm unless somebody else reports otherwise.

At this point I'll probably delay the purchase until winter as I don't have time to deal with it now and I want to spend more time camping. Please post on what you end up installing. It's possible that truckfridge might have something but I haven't fully checked it out. Bottom line is the chest type top openers are the most energy efficient. I may have to relook at changing my interior config this winter to make that type fit.

Vic Harder said:
Do you guys have the model number? I'm looking at the truck fridge website now and it looks like they have a variety of models. I'm gonna give them a call with the dimensions and see what they recommend. Thanks for the tip.

Karlton said:
Do you guys have the model number? I'm looking at the truck fridge website now and it looks like they have a variety of models. I'm gonna give them a call with the dimensions and see what they recommend. Thanks for the tip.
TF130 DC. If your camper has an AC to DC converter you don't need to spent the extra $100 for the AC/DC model.

This website helped me go with a compressor fridge in our ‘20 Hawk. We got the Isotherm 130l unit, twin 6v batteries, and the 160w panel on top. No problem with power or keeping things cold.

For a recent longer trip we added the 130w foldout panel that Overland Solar sells, and stayed in one spot in the desert for 7 days without starting the truck. More than enough juice; it never even made a dent in the batteries.

Sounds like you have it dialed in! I got the Isotherm 85 being delivered this week with an install next week. I'm looking forward to having cold food and drinks for an upcoming trip to the Oregon coast.

Davehwa said:
This website helped me go with a compressor fridge in our ‘20 Hawk. We got the Isotherm 130l unit, twin 6v batteries, and the 160w panel on top. No problem with power or keeping things cold.

For a recent longer trip we added the 130w foldout panel that Overland Solar sells, and stayed in one spot in the desert for 7 days without starting the truck. More than enough juice; it never even made a dent in the batteries.

I have been looking for a replacement 2-way refrigerator freezer for my boat which has a 3-way refrigerator freezer that is not working well anymore. We also have a 3-way Norcold N300.3 in our camper.

The freezer compartments of most of the 2-way 100 -160 L unitsI have seen are tiny and appear to be much smaller than the freezer compartments in the 3-way units I have.

I have looked at Dometic, Indel, Truckfrige, Isotherm and Vitrifrigo models as possible replacements

For the boat I like the Isotherm Cruse 200 It is wide but not too tall but it is pricy.

I found a cutout chart (see link) for the Norcold and Dometic refrigerators. This might help in selecting a replacement 2-way.

full

Other refrigerators having similar cut out sizes are:

Vitrifrigo C85IBD4-F RV Electric Refrigerator Freezer Black- AC/DC - 3.2 CF

Indel Webasto C085RNGIT7 Clean Touch Isotherm Electric Refrigerator Freezer - AC/DC - 3.0

Isotherm Freeline 115 Elegance

Isotherm CRUISE 130 Elegance (this may be th same as the TruckFridge 130)

Here is a link to a site with some possible options:

https://pantherrvproducts.com/refrigerators/front-loading-refrigerators/

I hope this is helpful.

Craig

+3 for TF130.

Fits very well in a 2008 hawk that formerly held norcold 300.3.

Karlton said:

What are you guys doing with the vent openings that came with the 3 way setup? Do the compressor fridges need to be vented and how?
Thanks!!
Tim
camelracer said:
I have a 130L front opening Truckfridge that I've been happy with. Same as the Isotherm but cheaper.

mathersports said:
What are you guys doing with the vent openings that came with the 3 way setup? Do the compressor fridges need to be vented and how?
Thanks!!
Tim
The vent openings should be the same for the compressor fridge and the 3 way from FWC. Should have two louvered vents on the side of your camper. The lower louver vent is hinged, so you can open it to access the controls for the 3 way fridge. On the compressor fridges, the space can be used for storage, since there will be no controls there.

FWC includes a small powered fan that is mounted behind the upper louvered vent. This is used on both style fridges, and is used to circulate air. This helps in warmer temps, to keep airflow moving over the compressor, which will help with efficiency.

Great, just the info I was looking for!
Thanks
Tim
Jkron said:
The vent openings should be the same for the compressor fridge and the 3 way from FWC. Should have two louvered vents on the side of your camper. The lower louver vent is hinged, so you can open it to access the controls for the 3 way fridge. On the compressor fridges, the space can be used for storage, since there will be no controls there.

FWC includes a small powered fan that is mounted behind the upper louvered vent. This is used on both style fridges, and is used to circulate air. This helps in warmer temps, to keep airflow moving over the compressor, which will help with efficiency.

I wanted to provide an update that I purchased a Isotherm Cruise 85 3.0 Cu Ft compressor refrigerator and had the Dometic 3-way fridge removed. I could not be more pleased as the Dometic could simply not get cold enough during hot days while using propane and forget using DC as it would kill the batteries.

The Isotherm is very quiet, has little power demands, and the 100 watt solar panel easily powers the fridge during the day.

I appreciate the input on my previous posts, and going to an ultra efficient compressor fridge has been a great solution for what I needed.

Best

Back
Top Bottom