Reworking the intake location...

pods8

Contributors
In my battery quest I'm wondering if I can shoe horn a couple golf batteries where my stock air box is and somehow rework my intake/filter. I figure the batteries will take a 15"Lx10.5"Wx10.5"H cube up which I can fit. The question is can I somehow concoct a intake line over/under/around in the engine compartment. I'll be dwelling on it. If anyone has some bring ideas let me know! :D

If I can pull this off I'll be content to run dual 6v golf batteries as they'll be accessible for maintenance. This would cost about 1/3 the cost of comparable AGM batteries mounted under the truck.

DSC02820Small.jpg

DSC02819Small.jpg

You may want to look at a cold air intake. AEM makes one that uses an oil free element. Much easier to clean, and might just route away from your planned battery location.

Hope this helps - good luck!

More Than Likley, Not

I'm pretty sure that all aftermarket intakes are going to end up with the filter in about the same place as the OEM filter box, they have routed the air to that area, if you try to make your own your going to have two problems, 1. it won't be CARB legal 2. it's very likley your electronic fuel managment system won't like it and you'll be flashing all kinds of codes. I would go to plan B.

I'm pretty sure that all aftermarket intakes are going to end up with the filter in about the same place as the OEM filter box, they have routed the air to that area, if you try to make your own your going to have two problems, 1. it won't be CARB legal 2. it's very likley your electronic fuel managment system won't like it and you'll be flashing all kinds of codes. I would go to plan B.

Yeah most do seem to go there. Would I even need to apply to CARB if I'm not in cali? Some folks have reported making their own with no issue, esp. if I just eliminate the air box only and pipe to a new filter I'd think it would be reasonable. However I'm also exploring other options as well, just open minded brainstorming here.

One after market intake that "might" free up the space is the Vararam Hemi Ram Air intake, I've emailed them to see about getting some dimensions to check things out. Its not cheap but setting up dual golf cart batteries for 200AH verse dual AGM's for 200AH would save a ton of cash to "potentially" justify it. Any performance from it would be a bonus but that isn't why I'd be buying it. Here are a couple pictures:
vararam5.jpg

vararam1.jpg

vararam2.jpg

vararam3.jpg

vararam4.jpg

I'm confused why you want to do such extensive mods to the truck when you could just install an isolator and a dozen batteries in the Hawk if you wanted. Not to mention the cranking amps you're sacrificing with 6v's which is important in a truck that size.

I mean, I'm sure you have your reasons. I'm just curious.

I'm confused why you want to do such extensive mods to the truck when you could just install an isolator and a dozen batteries in the Hawk if you wanted. Not to mention the cranking amps you're sacrificing with 6v's which is important in a truck that size.

I mean, I'm sure you have your reasons. I'm just curious.

I have a feeling you're going to be confused quite often around here.

Back
Top Bottom