Ribs

As a (former) Western North Carolinian with a brother in Kinston, I would expect that you must have your barbeque from East of Rocky Mount. :)

Paul

PaulT said:
As a (former) Western North Carolinian with a brother in Kinston, I would expect that you must have your barbeque from East of Rocky Mount. :)

Paul
Reckon we're cousins, Paul. Lots of us east of the Fall Line are.

The Line, as it's locally and regionally known, is of ephemeral nature. East of I-95 is the heart of the production area for the Holy Grub--Eastern North Carolina barbeque. Clyde Cooper's, not more than 6 miles as the crow flies, and but 5 blocks further from Capitol Square itself, has served yours truly many a fine tray of finely chopped, whole hog, vinegar basted pork BBQ. Don Murray's and Barbeque Lodge were even closer to the ranch, but both now closed for years. But yeah, that Lexington-Piedmont stuff is pretty far down my list----but still well above certain styles promoted from certain areas way downriver from these parts.

Foy

Down East BBQ tastes like drinking a bottle of apple cider vinegar...said the old boar with is nose curled up like a gilt. In 3+ decades, I never acquired the taste for vinegar based BBQ, Most be a taste acquired in the womb.

We'd zip down HWY 70 to Wilber's in Goldsboro. Another joint claiming to be the 'best". While I can't attest to the BBQ, I can say the Brunswick stew was without a doubt the best I've eaten anywhere. It was so good, Wilber's didn't pay their taxes and NC DOR shut 'em down.

Screenshot-2019-04-07-08-14-24.png

Wilber's was a mandatory stop for presidential candidates politiking.

Having lived in Cary for 33 years, its good to be back along the SC coast in the land of shrimp and grits. Cary was too far from the beautiful western NC mountain streams holding native Rainbows and Browns. And too far from the beautiful inshore estuaries of the Outer Banks and Down East.

All the good SC BBQ joints have closed up in SC since my high school years in the 60s and 70s. I guess the Bessingers who enjoyed cooking in the pits have all died off and their kin have little interest in continuing the tradition. Bessinger's joints today are not the same as 40 years ago.

The best ever in SC BBQ (IMHO) was Robert's (a Bessinger's) who worked the pits and golfed with Arnold Palmer. Sadly, both now passed.

Robert's is still open in North Charleston, but, not quite the same as the 70s.

Current issue of Southern Living has the "Best of the South" lists, including bars and BBQ joints. I've made it to 8 bars and 7 BBQ joints over the decades. While I liked BBQ joints on the list, the bars visits bring back immediate fond memories.

It goes down a little smoother than drinking the vinegar straight out of the bottle. I really thought I would dislike it but had to try. Something about mixing your finely chopped pork with finely chopped cabbage and then pouring more vinegar on it ......
OK, actually writing it down makes it sound terrible. Really, much better than it sounds. And crunchy.
I really dislike sugar based rubs and sauces and this style doesn't have any sweetness so it's good, or at least different, from that perspective.

Never thought about BBQ and politics, but, sounds about spot on for those who take either or both far too serious.

Life is about living, enjoying and collecting friends.

Went to Costco found they had the same big bag of ribs with rub. Cooked and still hot and uncooked with rub. I asked and was told i should not freeze cooked ribs. Seemed odd. How long can one freeze them from someone who has done so?

I've frozen cooked ribs and seemed to have lived through the experience. I suppose that freshly prepared ribs would win out but hauling a 6' offset smoker to camp probably wouldn't be worth the hassle. I think the folks who like their ribs saucy would notice less of a difference. I've accidently kept sous vide steaks for over a year and, thawed out, they were still edible by both of my dogs and I. Not sure if that's a very high bar though so be your own judge.

That's what I thought....your bar pretty much where mine is. And I thought cooked food freezes longer than uncooked. Thanks

I usually cook them at home pull them off the grill early them wrap them in foil. While camping coat them in BBQ sauce then toss them on the fire for 10-15 min.

Is this rib sacrilege? Cook on grill and then scrape meat off bone. Bag the meat and sauce. Freeze. Heat on camp fire.. open beer ... eat.

Markgyver said:
I usually cook them at home pull them off the grill early them wrap them in foil. While camping coat them in BBQ sauce then toss them on the fire for 10-15 min.
We parboil, only throwing them on the grill when ready to dig in. Lots of Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauce.

Buckland,
Not sacrilege but it sounds like you are making pulled pork out of your ribs. If you don't need a handle or are willing to use a fork why not cook a pork shoulder and then tear that down and bag it? Pork shoulders have less silver skin and they are nice and fatty. Mmmmmm I have two racks thawing in the fridge as I type this and a 6lb roaster to fill space in the smoker. I may have to post some pics if I can figure out how to do it here.

I've always done the 3-2-1 method on my pellet smoker. A couple weeks ago i tried something a little different. I call it 3-2-BBQ. I removed the skin, covered in my own homemade rubs (one rack in a bbq and the other in a Mediterranean style rub) then wrapped and stuck them in the firdge overnight. Smoked them the next afternoon at 220* for 3 hours. Then removed, put them in foil (I added butter to both, and brown sugar and BBQ sauce on the bbq ones, and a homemade Greek marinade on the others) wrapped tme and back on the smoker for 2 more hours. Then I pulled them out of the foil and put them on the bbq to crisp them up, basting with the sauces. Turned out amazingly well, better than the 3-2-1 method I'd done before solely on the smoker.

As ribs lover, I marinate it before the trip and use a mini bbq grill. I know it would take time given that my griller is small but would be willing to wait just for a good dinner.

Back
Top Bottom