Roads to Wander that are Passable with 2WD

Texan76

I will be ordering my camper soon, and I will pick it up in Denver at Rocky Mountain FWC. I plan on doing my break in trip while I'm up there. I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2WD. Are there any roads off the beaten path that are relatively smooth and 2WD passable that would offer great views?

I can't help you with any suggestions but I saw this website over on ExPo and there are a lot of roads in Colorado listed in the U.S section:

The World's Most Spectacular Roads

Some of them look easily driveable with 2WD. Of course it is wise to seek local advice before heading off anywhere. I'll bet the dealer will have some suggestions.

Guanella Pass:
Homepage

Boreas Pass:

Montezuma and Peru Creek:
In the same area Webster Pass:
Trails – TrailDamage.com
This one is tougher than the others. You can make it to just below tree line, just don't start up the switchbacks. Also don't go anywhere near Radical Hill or Redcone Mt. trails. The traildamage.com link is a good resource for reviews on trails.

Peru Creek
sCElTG1.jpg

Pennsylvania Mine, Peru Creek
xrYe5RL.jpg

Webster Pass and camper before the switchbacks.
urzNNyV.jpg

Best to turn back before the creek
r0FuFI0.jpg

This is why:
BQ0QVub.jpg

ioO0aDG.jpg

Top of Webster Pass.....too bad you don't have a 4WD. :(
The trail goes over the top of Redcone Mt., 13,000', in the background. Pucker factor high.
2PeSSPG.jpg

jc9gyt3.jpg

Chris will have some ideas also.....have fun!

Thanks for the info Rotti! That looks awesome.

As far as the 4wd. Never needed one up until now with my aspirations for checking out the backcountry. I'd love to get a 4wd right away, but then I'd have to delay the camper. Might as well get the camper now, enjoy what places I can with 2wd, then after camper is paid off, get the 4wd.

Tex,

I wanted to allow for those with some CO experience to chime in with specifics before posting anything based only on general information, much of which is many years old. Looks like you've got some of that feedback now.

With the (large) exception of high passes, I venture to say most State, County, and Forest Services roads throughout the Rocky Mountain States (as contrasted to numbered trails) are readily passable in a 2WD pickup having reasonably high clearance and decent tires. The Forest Service/BLM and state forest/fish and game personnel generally run full-size American pickups (mostly 4WDs), so in terms of width and ease of access, I've found most roads can be run in my fullsize Ford without engaging its 4WD.

That being the case, I'd just purchase a Benchmark Colorado Roads and Recreation Atlas and have at it. You'll quickly learn when you need to turn around with general situational awareness and by seeing where the road ahead goes on your map.

Enjoy!

Foy

I'd echo Foy's comments...you can go to most places with a 2wd. If you have to keep the truck for a while, get some good tires, a set of tire chains, and always carry a shovel and axe. The added weight of the camper will aid in traction as well. No reason to wait...start wondering!

I guess there are advantages to 4 WD, although I've covered a lot of back roads in British Columbia with various 2WD vehicles. One suggestion: if you're not sure, get out and walk a bit of the road to check it out. Backing out of tricky bits can be, er, tricky. Good tires are a must, as is an axe, a Swede saw, a shovel, and a set of chains. I'd guess the same rules apply in Colorado as in BC.

Oh yeah, AND (although folks on this list probably don't apply). 4WD is no substitute for good judgement, despite what the TV ads may show. I've seen a fair few very studly 4WD trucks bogged, hung up on rocks etc, and spun out on ice when a little sense would have prevented such situations. One of my more idiotic cousins once dug his in up to the axels in our back yard, which would have been funny only it was over our septic tank...

N'kwala said:
4WD is no substitute for good judgement, despite what the TV ads may show. I've seen a fair few very studly 4WD trucks bogged, hung up on rocks etc, and spun out on ice when a little sense would have prevented such situations.
This^^^

I am a honest four wheeler. Only really need 4WD once a year the way I camp. Yes I may use it some times I really don't need it and it does keep you from putting on chains in California. The CHP put up chain requirements just to slow up the traffic, good friend from MN could not believe the requirement when we went to the Sierra's. 99.9% of the time you will be fine with 2WD.

I'd miss low range more than 4wd. So you can't go down the canyon in the White Mountains. Its faster to back the way you came in anyway. 95% of the roads/trails I do would be fine in 2wd. You just need to be willing to stop, look and turn around when necessary.

That said, I wouldn't be without 4wd. It saves me wear and tear on roads I could still do in 2wd, it just makes it easier. Those little oops moments. A tire goes into the ditch turning around. You park on wet grass downhill. Theres a mud hole you didn't see at night getting into the campsite. All those have happened to me somewhat recently. Its true all of those could have been avoided. Stop and look. Don't drive overly tired. But those things happen and its so much nicer to just engage 4wd and not worry about how you're going to extract yourself.

Mostly though its because I lack self control. I see a road and I wonder where it goes? I've actually gotten better about that. Having the Jeep helps. I can always come back and explore with the Jeep. Heck, most times I've done that I was glad I didn't take the truck in.

I've always liked the statement that 4WD just gets you in deeper before you get stuck, or further away from help. It is handy here in the snow but I don't use it much in the back country.

Texan, if you haven't traded for a 4x4 yet here is another great easy road, Marshall Pass:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=323

Some nice boon docking spots near the top.

y09WF9Z.jpg

I hope your picking up your camper more towards summer or mid summer?
The Colorado mountains are fond of hanging onto their snow pack.

One other thing, did your Chevy come with the Eaton locking rear axle (G80 code in the glove box)?
That would help a lot.

That's right-but it's sure nice to be able to run away a little bit further into the back country when you have it or here in Susanville when we have our usual winter. It's the driver more than the machine anyway. Every once in a while the BLM would get in one of those street 4x4's-you know electric windows, no clearance to speak of, 2 ply tires, great for running to meetings in Sac or Reno, not worth a dang in the back country. We needed 'em to do our job, but we also learned how and when use one-after all one wrong move/decision and you could be spending a night or two enjoying an unplanned wilderness experience. Getting "unstuck" was part of the job though, and working out there was why we loved our jobs!

Smoke

We mineral exploration geologists were sometimes asked "what do you do on a day-to-day basis as an exploration geologist". Favorite answer was "We dig our trucks out".

I would not be without 4WD and haven't been since acquiring my 1967 IH Scout in 1973, but particularly where a heavy fullsize truck w/ pop-up camper is concerned, I tend to be very cautious as to where I drive. The truck alone is close to 10,000 lbs, and when she goes down, she goes down hard.

With a good dose of common sense and a notion of what's ahead, I wouldn't hesitate to drive a whole lot of backcountry roads in the Rockies. As noted above, a good set of 10-ply rating tires is insurance against punctures, aggressive tread on the rears is a good idea, as are an axe, saw, and some tow straps for pulling blowdowns off of a road. I've extracted trucks smaller than my present behemoth with a 2.5-ton come-along, a shovel, snatch blocks, and tree-saver straps, but doing so "ain't no day at the beach".

Bottom line is there are plenty of opportunities to WTW in a 2-WD truck.

Foy

rotti said:
Texan, if you haven't traded for a 4x4 yet here is another great easy road, Marshall Pass:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=323

Some nice boon docking spots near the top.

y09WF9Z.jpg

I hope your picking up your camper more towards summer or mid summer?
The Colorado mountains are fond of hanging onto their snow pack.

One other thing, did your Chevy come with the Eaton locking rear axle (G80 code in the glove box)?
That would help a lot.
Just looked. My truck does have the G80 option. I guess that's a locking differential. I believe my truck has 4.11 gears.

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I would never attempt to take a real rough road in the setup I have. I plan on taking delivery in the summer and will try to find some tame roads. When I referred to 2WD passable roads, I was thinking along the lines of a level gravel road or dry dirt road with minimal ruts.

It's hard to give up a truck with 55,000 miles that's paid for. I think I will see a bunch of what I can see with 2WD and then do the rest down the road when I feel I can drop $40k + for a new truck.

Back
Top Bottom