Roll over couch question

DanT

I am very curious about the use of a roll over couch in a hawk or grandly.

1) Is it possible to sleep two adults on it, my thought is to put a double sized air mattress on top of it and utilize the window sill / shelf space in conjunction with the cushion area ?

2) When the couch is converted to a bed is there enough room to shuffle to the back door from the front of the camper without stepping on the cushion ?

3) When the couch is in the couch position is it possible to see out the side window a little (if your resting on a propped up pillows with back against cab wall) ?

Thank You
DanT

I have slept on the roll over couch a couple of times alone, when I did not want to open the camper. It worked fine alone. The answer to 1 above is I would not want to try two adults on the bed unless they are on their honeymoon.

Answer to 2 is it would be pretty tight or impossible. It seems like someone should have a photo of the camper with the roll out bed open. If one does not show up, I can take one.

Answer to 3 is probably no. Well, yes, you would be able to look out but you would be looking down at the ground outside. And there really is not any angle that you would sit inside that would give a good view outside.

I store lots of stuff behind the roll out couch. If I was to open it to use it for a bed, I would need to deal with some of those items, otherwise, they would roll out onto the bed. Since this becomes important storage, I am guessing most everyone with this camper setup would also be using this area for storage as well. I chose the roll over couch because I camp with tent campers and want the extra seating when the thunder storms come through. It has been used a number of times.

Hope this helps.

Steve

We have the Granby with the couch. I always sleep on the couch rolled over while my wife sleeps above over-the-cab since I toss and turn. Both of us do stand and move from front to back with the couch rolled over to a bed but we are not large people. I stand between the couch and cabinets to do the roll, both up and down. We have never slept two on the couch (see earlier "toss-and-turn" comment) but this is doable with shoulders touching and no tossing while sleeping. We can only see the the ground with the couch upright. We watch hail during thunderstorms by rolling over the couch and looking out the window lying down.

Dan,
You could check out my slideshow : http://desertjann.wix.com/four-wheel-camper , to see how my wife and I make a lower-tier sleeping arrangement work real well for ourselves, fwiw. The pics of our sleeping config are #5 through #8 in the first menu option (default) 'Customizing the FWC Grandby Shell'. Our setup required the use of a plywood bridge spanning sofa to the opposite side. Granted, this might not work very well for what you have in mind with respect to fore-and-aft movement throughout the camper. Without a bridge, fitting two folks side-by-side could be 'tight', but not undoable. As alluded to above, a horizon view out the window while seated lengthwise along the sofa probably isn't realistic, but at least you can see the immediate campsite area near the window(s).
Rico

This is in my grandby shell with the front mounted fold over couch. Window is never blocked and 2 adults can sleep comfortably.

img_114579_0_1b01c43e7e02dcc4872be053b631d52e.jpg

DanT,

Here's a picture of the roll over couch made into a bed in my 2007 (sold) Grandby. There is space to walk from the front to the back as you can see and there is just enough space in front of the entry door to place the porta potti there. It is tight, however. As far as two adults sleeping on it...I don't think it would be very comfortable. The bed in 36" wide, 72" long. Really enough room for just one person, or two small children. You can't really see much out the big window when in the couch mode. However, that area between the couch back and window does provide some very good storage for jackets, hats, some books, and various other things. We pack it full.

Buzz

Attachments

• IMG_0030.resized.JPG
    IMG_0030.resized.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,382
I looked at the roll over couch for my Ranger II (Eagle) model when they first came out thinking that they were pretty neat. The reality is that you lose 7" of aisle space even when in the couch position compared to the older configuration. Not worth that to me. I raised the couch up to the level of the window ledge and the result was 32 inches of sleeping area with just the couch seat which is perfect for just me without having to pull out the queen bed. I think there might be enough room for a cozy couple with the both cushions horizontal.

cwd

Thank you all for your quick response, except for the lack of view in the couch position I'm pretty happy with the answers. The front wall couch location is very sweet if you have a shell, but I already ordered my camper built out with the side couch but I've never seen a hawk or a grandby with one. I have a reg. cab truck w/ long box and I'm 6'2" so quite a while ago I had a conversation with Sean Dempsey (Wisconsin dealer) and he suggested that the couch would be better for long legs and storage and it made sense to me. The only thing I didn't like was the table, so FWC let me delete the table, upgrade to their new style swivel table, uninstalled and they are leaving the mounting problems to me. Mod number one.
The newer roll over couch bed is level with the window shelf so the total width must be close to 42". Thats why I thought by putting an air mattress on top of the bed you could use the shelf space as part of the bed.
Buzzman, congrats on your quick sale, thanks for the photo and good luck with your new rig.

Thanks again all,
DanT

We echo CWDT. On the 2012 Eagle shell the roll-over couch
intruded half way into the floor area when up effectively acting as a barrier to entering the camper. At 6'1" too tight for me.
I solved the problem by making up what I call a "gaucho" couch.
gallery_2684_742_19358.jpg

By extending the boxed wheel-cover storage 7" with a piano hinged fold-up plate. For details click on the link under my signature.

DanT said:
Thank you all for your quick response, except for the lack of view in the couch position I'm pretty happy with the answers. The front wall couch location is very sweet if you have a shell, but I already ordered my camper built out with the side couch but I've never seen a hawk or a grandby with one. I have a reg. cab truck w/ long box and I'm 6'2" so quite a while ago I had a conversation with Sean Dempsey (Wisconsin dealer) and he suggested that the couch would be better for long legs and storage and it made sense to me. The only thing I didn't like was the table, so FWC let me delete the table, upgrade to their new style swivel table, uninstalled and they are leaving the mounting problems to me. Mod number one.
The newer roll over couch bed is level with the window shelf so the total width must be close to 42". Thats why I thought by putting an air mattress on top of the bed you could use the shelf space as part of the bed.
Buzzman, congrats on your quick sale, thanks for the photo and good luck with your new rig.

Thanks again all,
DanT
Again I wish they would update their site on all the available options and post pix of the rollover couch. I understand they want to sell the more expensive side and front dinettes, but people need to see the rollover couch as well. Plus I didn't know you could get the swivel table instead of the other table which I'VE NEVER EVER EVER SEEN,!!!

100acrehuphalump said:
Is the table very stable?
Sorta.....I've used mine both inside and out.
Not the best solution but since I have it I'll make use of it:

hbLcLIp.jpg

I would imagine some of our DIY guys could find a way to customize the table. Of course with an alternative choice that would not be necessary for new buys. Like the ramp and the dog:)

Yes I have it for the dogs: http://www.petstep.com
My senior female wasn't enthralled with the steps that I was using and this ramp solved the problem.
Works great for the human species also....but friends call it my handicap ramp.
What ever....

100acre, it really isn't an option, they wouldn't do it for me when I asked for it so I suggested that they sell me the swivel table parts and I would take a shot at making it work. I'm pretty sure they will sell you any of the parts that they use in the construction of their campers. I got the idea from Lighthawk (Andy), he was kind enough to send me some pictures of his swivel type table / couch mod.. So once I decided to go with the roll over couch I always planned on getting a Lagun style table. Then when I went to the factory and saw their new and improved version I didn't even look elsewhere. I think after the credit for the standard table it cost me $125 extra, of course I have to fabricate a receiver and mount it, but I'm confident that it will be sweet.

Looking back at www.fourwh.com under the Hawk page, there are some pix of the rollover couch but only from a top perspective and none with the couch 'rolled over' . I've only just now seen a picture of the standard table on this thread. No matter what I get, I'm soooo excited to be getting the Hawk in just a few days time. The trips coming, the future of me in my camper on some mountain top!!! Yup I'm excited!

Back
Top Bottom